PDA

View Full Version : Cutting

estropes
10-15-2003, 12:04 PM
Okay guys I'm been cutting for about 3 weeks now. Basically doing the Low Carb, high protein thing. I've lost just about 20 pounds, and if I do say so I'm looking rather pimp...(Abs almost showing).

Here is the problem, my lifts are sucking.

I'm doing a modified 5 X 5 program.

My Bench went from 255 to 230
My Deadlift went from 355 to 285
I'm afraid to try and squat with anything heavy.

So my question is, is it normal to lose this much poundage on your lifts?

Thanks for any help.

Dedicated
10-15-2003, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure if it's possible for the human body to lose 20 lbs of "just" fat in 3 weeks. Let's say 5 pounds was water weight, ok so then that's 15lbs, ok now lets say half was fat, half was muscle, so you lost 7.5lbs of fat in 3 weeks. You prolly lost lots of muscle. The body is REALLY good about holding onto fat if you are undereating. Are you keeping track of your calories and stuff? Maybe up your calorie intake slightly and go from there if you are. This is what I would do if I was in your situation and if I was alrdy counting calories, goodluck.

defcon
10-15-2003, 01:34 PM
Hate to say it.. but you screwed yourself :( listen to what Dedicated said.

geoffgarcia
10-15-2003, 03:19 PM
eso, whats your diet been like?
if you could post your weekly cals/prot/carb/fat intakes that would be helpful

Saint Patrick
10-15-2003, 03:41 PM
You lost 20lbs in 3 weeks and you wonder why your lifts went down? You've obviously lost some LBM. Increase carbs and maybe you'll have some more energy to lift.

estropes
10-16-2003, 07:18 AM
Well my diets has been like this

Breakfast: 4 Turkey Sausage Links and 3 Eggs
Snack: Can of Tuna Fish
Lunch: Turkey Salad and diet Coke
Dinner: Steak and 1 1/2 cups of Cottage Cheese
Snack: Half a block of cheese.

Also I'm taking Creatine and a multivitaim.

Also drinking about 2 gallons of water a day.

Scott S
10-16-2003, 11:03 AM
Losing half that in three weeks would still be too fast. If you're doing cardio too, stop that and see how things go.

geoffgarcia
10-16-2003, 11:32 AM
eso if your serious about cutting you really should be counting the calories and everything else..., posting food doesn't help us to much...

Dedicated
10-16-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by estropes
Well my diets has been like this

Breakfast: 4 Turkey Sausage Links and 3 Eggs
Lunch: Turkey Salad and diet Coke
Dinner: Steak and 1 1/2 cups of Cottage Cheese
Snack: Half a block of cheese.

Also I'm taking Creatine and a multivitaim.

Also drinking about 2 gallons of water a day.
Just some rough estimates.
Breakfast - 510 calories
Snack - 150 calories
Lunch - 400 calories
Snack - 150 calories
Dinner - 600 calories
Snack - Not sure here, 300 calories?

Total - 2110 calories or so, give or take 2-3 hundred.

For your bodyweight and activity level this is to low so your metabolism is lowered. You should try raising it to somewhere near 3000 calories and then give it a week and see how it goes. Your 190lbs at 10% that means you got tons of muscle, gotta feed that muscle to maintain it.

bradley
10-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by estropes
Okay guys I'm been cutting for about 3 weeks now. Basically doing the Low Carb, high protein thing. I've lost just about 20 pounds, and if I do say so I'm looking rather pimp...(Abs almost showing).

Here is the problem, my lifts are sucking.

I'm doing a modified 5 X 5 program.

My Bench went from 255 to 230
My Deadlift went from 355 to 285
I'm afraid to try and squat with anything heavy.

So my question is, is it normal to lose this much poundage on your lifts?

Thanks for any help.

Are you performing a periodic carb-up/refeed each week?

Losing 20lbs. in 3 weeks would not be unheard of, due to the initial decrease from water/glycogen weight. If you at ~10% bf, it would probably be wise to incorporate a refeed 2x a week or once every 5 days, but this would ultimately depend on the individial and other factors such as calorie deficit, bf%, overall feeling (lethargic, hungary, etc.).

I would attribute the large decreases in your lifts to the low carb diet, and I am sure you would see some increases if you were to incorporate carbs back into your diet. This does not necessarily mean that you have lost muscle, although it is a possibility.