PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Question....

Mic Soloist
10-15-2003, 06:40 PM
I've been slowly bulking now for a few months. I went from 152 up to 168. I went from doing cardio at least 3 times a week plus bball a few times, to no cardio other than pick-up bball a couple times a week(if that)

I did add some mass, but I have slowly began to notice the last remaining fat on my bady has began to increase.

I am fairly thin. I have a 33 inch waist. I have hardly any fat on the front part of my stomach, but a good amount on my obliques and lower back/upper ass area. That area and a little right below my chest are the only places I really store fat. Unforchantly, these places are preventing a 6-pack, and the total cut up look I am going for.

I have realized if I continue to bulk, this will only get worse. And frankly, I'd rather be smaller and cut, than bigger and flabby. I've come to the point where I am not bulking again until I am at 7-8 percent with abs showing.

I got a caliper done a few weeks ago and it said I was 10%. I think I was more like 12, and I'm probably 13-14 now IMO. I currently weigh 165, I have cut back on food, and I have started doing more cardio again.(3 days a week, 1 mile on eliptical)

I was taking in about 1800 calories daily before I starting. I stopped keeping count during that phase, but I'd guess I was eating anywhere between 2000-2300 per day. Mostly protein and "good" fats, but I did have a lot of carbs as well.

Now I'm gonna try about 1800 calories per day again....

My question is... Am I doing the right thing?? How can I lose the 4-5% BF I am trying to lose?? And what is a realistic time period in which I can do so??

I want to get down to 8% or so, and then began bulking from there.

I need advice...

-mic-

I was feeling good about the progress

Mic Soloist
10-15-2003, 11:26 PM

mstar
10-16-2003, 04:04 AM
i would do a search Bradley has answered lots of similar questions like this :)

bradley
10-16-2003, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist
I am fairly thin. I have a 33 inch waist. I have hardly any fat on the front part of my stomach, but a good amount on my obliques and lower back/upper ass area. That area and a little right below my chest are the only places I really store fat. Unforchantly, these places are preventing a 6-pack, and the total cut up look I am going for.

This is a common area for fat storage in males, and is hard to mobilize, hence the reason it is often called stubborn fat.

I have realized if I continue to bulk, this will only get worse. And frankly, I'd rather be smaller and cut, than bigger and flabby. I've come to the point where I am not bulking again until I am at 7-8 percent with abs showing.

I got a caliper done a few weeks ago and it said I was 10%. I think I was more like 12, and I'm probably 13-14 now IMO. I currently weigh 165, I have cut back on food, and I have started doing more cardio again.(3 days a week, 1 mile on eliptical)

I was taking in about 1800 calories daily before I starting. I stopped keeping count during that phase, but I'd guess I was eating anywhere between 2000-2300 per day. Mostly protein and "good" fats, but I did have a lot of carbs as well.

Now I'm gonna try about 1800 calories per day again....

My question is... Am I doing the right thing?? How can I lose the 4-5% BF I am trying to lose?? And what is a realistic time period in which I can do so??

Cutting cals and adding in cardio at the same time would not be the best approach. I would recommend doing one or the other and then as weight loss stalls you can incorporate the other. For example, I would first decrease daily calories over the course of a few weeks ~200-300 per week, until you start to see weight loss. Once weight loss stalls then add in cardio.

I think adding in cardio while at the same time decreasing cals is a good way to cause LBM losses. You might also consider adding in refeeds as you progress with the cutting cycle.