PDA

View Full Version : No dairy

Splinter
10-16-2003, 10:19 AM
I'm thinking about dropping dairy from my diet. I'm lactose intolerant, and I seem to be getting worse. The pills help, but no matter what I always get some minor loose stools a couple times a day (I shouldn't even need to crap a couple times a day). I'm also sick of the damn farts which seem to get ten times worse when I eat dairy. I go through a box of Lactaid Ultra (which costs like $15 around here) in like 2 weeks. It's really annoying.

I think I can still get away with using whey, maybe I'll have to use isolate, I don't know. I'm sure it'll be cheaper than buying $30 of pills a month.

Anybody have any suggestions as to some food substitutes? I'm looking for something with the same profile as FF cottage cheese and I'm stumped. If I actually go through with this I'll probably buy one of those machines that makes any kind of bean milk from dried beans, so milk isn't an issue.

Also, people always say you need to take calcium supplements if you don't eat dairy, but I find this hard to believe. I really doubt that humans become deficient in anything w/out cows milk (or any kind of milk). But I'm no expert.

Dedicated
10-16-2003, 12:20 PM
Wow that sucks.

I would supplement with calcium though, it's really inexpensive. I take calcium every day plus I drink lots of milk.

Tryska
10-16-2003, 12:22 PM
doesn't lactaid make a cottage cheese?

Splinter
10-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
doesn't lactaid make a cottage cheese?

They don't make FF cottage cheese, or at least I've never seen it. I don't think I've ever seen LF either.

I tried lactaid milk for a week or so but I ended up having to run out of class like 3 times that week to take a crap. It's certainly better than normal dairy but I still have to take the pills to completely prevent serious diahreah (sp?). And the stuff is expensive as hell so what's the point?

Tryska
10-16-2003, 12:46 PM
well i guess there's always tofu.

kAiXuan
10-16-2003, 12:50 PM
try eating solid meals before you drink milk, are you experiencing this when you drink milk or other dairy on an empty/near empty stomach??

Splinter
10-16-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by kAiXuan
try eating solid meals before you drink milk, are you experiencing this when you drink milk or other dairy on an empty/near empty stomach??

I can't tell you exactly what food or what meal causes it. It doesn't happen for hours afterwards. I can try not eating dairy on an empty stomach. I really doubt that will fix things. My system cannot tolerate dairy. I don't think there's anything I can do.

AlexBBbegginer
10-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Im also lactose intolerant and im also bulking.

i wouldnt worry too much tho since shakes shouldnt be a corner stone of your diet.
Yes they have great advantage post w/o but at other times whole food is always better. According to bradley whey isolate still contains lactose but just at very low quantities so be wary if your intolerance is particularly bad.

Soya milk is sort of an alternative but i find it too sweet and expensive to drink daily.
I rely on eggs, mackeral, salmon, prawns, nuts+bread, and beef for protein needs. No dairy is not the end of the road since eggs are much more easily absorbed than cheese and also probably cheaper (wouldnt know since i dont buy it) so your food bills would be kept down.

As for calcium, well green leafy veg is full of it and its far more easily absorbed than from milk calcium, which in some studies has shown to be mostly pass through unused.

TheGimp
10-16-2003, 02:37 PM
Soy milk too sweet? I think you need to try the unsweetened kind :P

As far as calcium from green leafy veggies, are you sure you don't have that the wrong way round? Fiber and oxalic acid in the veggies interferes with calcium absorption.

bradley
10-16-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by TheGimp
As far as calcium from green leafy veggies, are you sure you don't have that the wrong way round? Fiber and oxalic acid in the veggies interferes with calcium absorption.

Yes, you are correct. The oxalates found in green leafy vegetables can block the absorption of calcium and the phytates in grains can have the same effect. Calcium from dairy products is easily absorbed by the body.