PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me what you think

Seb
10-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Hi guys.
I already posted these pictures over in my journal, but then I realized there is a dedicated picture thread...

So I am asking for your comments, both positive and negative on my strong and weak points, so I know what to work hard, and what to work harder...

Here we go!

Seb
10-16-2003, 10:32 AM
front bis

Seb
10-16-2003, 10:33 AM
legs (I think that is my weakest point)

Seb
10-16-2003, 10:33 AM
an attempt at some kind of pose... whatever.

Seb
10-16-2003, 10:34 AM
from the side

Seb
10-16-2003, 10:34 AM
and relaxed.
notice the assymetry in the pecs?

Bam Bam
10-16-2003, 10:40 AM
i think you look good just add some size your right pec and arm seem bigger than left maybe do some db work

also arms may overpower chest a bit but to me all that stuff is just being picky

Mik
10-16-2003, 11:09 AM
Lookin' good man. I'd say beef up the chest a bit although it's not bad at all and work your legs.

Seb
10-16-2003, 11:12 AM
Working the legs is a given, I am ashamed of them, but I now have discovered the "leg day", and it's a lot of fun, so that will come in due time.

After measuring, both my arms come in at around 14.5", so no imbalance there. Now, I do have an imbalance between my pecs, but how do I work one more than the other? Use DB bench with a heavier dumbell on one side?

I am actually glad that you guys think my chest is now a weaker point, because it used to be the contrary was true, my arms were smaller than my chest. I have gone back to serious chest work though.

Mik
10-16-2003, 11:15 AM
Your arms look bigger than that. Being lean really helps. As for chest just use the same weight dbs on both sides and push until your weaker side gives out. Eventually you'll even out.

Relentless
10-16-2003, 11:16 AM
I think you're doing great, mate!

you're lean, starting to pack on some mass and generally looking pretty well proportioned

nothing to do but keep packing on the pounds, I think...

EdgeCrusher
10-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Legs and Chest need work, otherwise :thumbup:

Seb
10-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Thanks Callahan and EdgeCrusher.
Mik, I have done DB bench to failure many times (actually, every time I lift I lift to failure), and both my sides fail pretty much at the same time. It's not that one of my pecs is stronger or weaker than the other, they just look different and one looks much smaller. It's always perplexed me, as I always thought, as you said, if I work both the same way, they should even out after a while... not happening! Weird. Maybe it's due to them being attached differently to my chest?

WillKuenzel
10-16-2003, 11:28 AM
I was actually thinking that your chest was pretty well proportioned but just to cut down on the arm training a bit and that would be cool. I think your back could use a bit more width but overall you look good up top. Legs are a little under proportioned but the hair might be masking it. :p

Good structure overall. I'd say put on a few pounds and you'll see things even out a bit. How long have you been lifting?

Seb
10-16-2003, 11:39 AM
On and off for the past 4 years, but never really getting serious, which explains the weaker legs (always hated working the legs, until I gave them their own day) and back...

I won't cut down on the arms work, however I will put extra super high intensity everywhere else, and if I need to cut on one session during the week, it'll be the arms.

I have just started using WBB routine #1, do you think it's a good choice for me? Would you change anything to it to adapt it to my weaknesses? I like the idea of the legs having their own day, that should allow me to bring them up to par.

WillKuenzel
10-16-2003, 11:47 AM
I'd say if you are following WBB1 then you be fine. No need to change it up.

Seb
10-16-2003, 11:59 AM
thanks HomeYield
and I must say, you're looking pretty fooking good after stumbling on some of your pictures...

another question, for a naturally slim guy like me, is it easy to come down in weight and get cut after a bulking phase? I know the best way to make gains is to concentrate on one thing at a time, and as Arnold said, you need to have something to carve before you can carve, but I wonder if it'll mean huge dieting sacrifices to go down in weight after bulking... I read some journals, and it seems like you absolutely have to count everything you're eating in the cutting cycle, is that only for people who naturally tend to get fat, or for naturally skinny guys as well?

WillKuenzel
10-16-2003, 12:09 PM
Thanks man!

To answer your question, I'm a naturally skinny guy and it was easier for me to lose weight relative I think to other people trying to lose. But really, whether you are bulking or cutting weight, it really helps to count everything. I never really knew how important it could be until I just started doing it. I started gaining weight quicker and found my strength to go up accordingly. Its just a good habit to get into.

As far as dieting sacrfices, I tend to always eat pretty clean but really cleaned it up when cutting but didn't have to cut the calories dramatically. Given enough time, cutting is best done at a slow pace by just cutting calories a little bit or keeping them the same but incorporating a bit more cardo.

Seb
10-16-2003, 12:23 PM
I know that counting everything helps, how can it not? And I understand the fact that your body can't grow as fast without the proper fuel. However, I consider this one of my numerous hobbies, and am not prepared to make so great a sacrifice for it. Not being a wuss or lazy; just being honest with myself and my goals. I tend to eat pretty clean and a lot anyways, so I'll simply try and get more than 3 meals in the day, as apparently that helps a lot.

With some cardio, I hope to be able to stay relatively lean while still gaining mass and strength, although not as fast as if I used a bulking/cutting method with calorie-counting and supplements...

We'll see if it's realistic in a couple of months I guess!

Mik
10-16-2003, 12:32 PM
Good luck man!

Seb
10-16-2003, 12:38 PM
Thanks Mik. I hope to be able to keep up my determination and to finally work out properly (read: to the point of almost puking). Up to now, my workouts have been somewhat intense, but not doing the real manly heavy exercises like deadlifts and squats meant I never really went all the way to the limit of my body and mind, like I used to do when swimming. That is what I will be trying to achieve from now on, the working out part is probably more important than the results part.

It's going to be fun, looking forward to reading your comments in my journal!
:strong:

Mik
10-16-2003, 01:07 PM
Cool. I was just going to ask if you had a journal up yet. We can use more Canucks in here!

Seb
10-16-2003, 01:37 PM
Of course!! The journal is actually the main reason I joined here, to provide the kicks in the ass and motivation I have been unable to find until now, and to make sure I do everything properly. This is a great community, I just hope I can give back what I think will be brought to me as a result of joining it!

BTW, I came to this website after seeing it in the list of the top 100 populated forums on the Web... pretty impressive!

Seb
10-16-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by StevenEric
I agree with the comment about secondary training on one side.

What do you mean by secondary training?

Also, I did not know about the widespread uneven pec development, I assumed I was simply weird because everyone else looks to be proportional. Also, what I find weird is that I'm equally strong on both sides. Shouldn't I be weaker on the left, or is my mind unconsciously compensating and forcing the right side less all the time?

The more I look at the pictures, the less convinced I am that shaving is not a good idea... I think I'd look better smooth... Maybe I'll try it out this winter when nobody can see it... :D

TiGeR AK
10-16-2003, 04:55 PM
because you're so lean... your 14.5 inch arms appear a lot bigger.. like 15-16 inches.

you must be naturally lean ... a lot of guys would kill for that.

you look great.

if you start lifting seriously for a year or 2... watch out.. ur gona look incredible.

(i'm not gay lol)

Seb
10-16-2003, 08:19 PM
lol, thanks for the comments guys!

I am "one of those guys" who eats and eats and never gets fat, actually the way you see me now is the fattest I've ever been... usually my abs show up a lot more.

The downside, unfortunately, is that it is very hard for me to gain real muscle mass, and that is also the reason why I have never kept the motivation to work out intensely for very long... I just get discouraged because there aren't many visible gains. But I think my metabolism is changing, as now I can see some slight gains, and of course the downside is that I have put on a LITTLE bit of fat, especially around the midsection.

StevenEric, yeah, I'm pretty much fearless when it comes to ridicule and others' opinion of myself. As you've seen from the photos, I'm not afraid of putting myself out there... I'm probably the harshest critic of my own physique, but I think that goes for everyone, right!

Right now I look okay (by that I mean much better than most guys) with my shirt off, however the goal is now to become stronger, and to look better with the shirt on, i.e. make gains that are visible without getting naked. That means mass.

Ideally, I'll be able to keep up intense work for at least a year, and by then I'll either look a lot better and will keep doing this for a long time, or I won't see many gains, I'll get discouraged, and will only lift to keep in relatively good shape. Hoping it's the first option!

I'll post some photos from time to time here so you guys can see the progress I'm making and comment on it.

Reinier
10-17-2003, 12:46 PM
I think you look good, the asymmetry is not that bad, your very lean and wellshaped.

However one of my crusades, is against those necklaces

Seb
10-17-2003, 02:25 PM
BTW, I only wear this collar with really wide-collar shirts, else it looks like I'm trying to show cleavage or something... I think it looks pretty cool, though.

I will post new pictures regularly so you can follow my progress (or lack thereof) in real time. I think it'll be interesting for everybody, especially all the lean hardgainers out there. Contrary to others, I will not only post pictures only when I'm satisfied of my shape or the progress of it, you'll see me exposed whatever happens, and damn the ridicule! :)

Reinier
10-17-2003, 02:32 PM
You can tell more through clothes than you seem to think.
You would definately look better in clothes than the average person. I think you can usually tell quite well what someones bf% and lbm is like without him taking anything off.Unless its freezing outside and hes wearing 4 layers of course

Saint Patrick
10-17-2003, 03:27 PM
Delts and arms look well defined, lats could use some more size.

Seb
10-17-2003, 04:03 PM
That's another area I was worried about, the back, I haven't worked on it that much in the past few years... Always felt (probably wrong though) that I was powerful enough... problem is, I do fine on cable pulldowns, but I had never done a deadlift in my life before this week!!

We'll work on that, thanks for the comments again people!

BSC14
10-18-2003, 10:16 PM
Man, you look really good. If I were you I think I would bulk a little but you look good eather way...nice work.

Seb
10-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I've decided to bulk up for a while, until I can't live with my BF anymore. Thanks for the comments!

Seb
11-04-2003, 07:25 PM
Well, the comments were pretty much what I expected, imbalances + crappy leg size. So no surprise here, this was exactly what I thought as well.

How I see myself... well, kinda hard to say, as it depends o nthe day and the moment... for example, when I finish a workout and there's noticeable pump, I feel great and see myself in a very positive fashion. But my goal is to feel the same way ALL THE TIME, meaning to attain my desired physique even in rested state, along with actually looking big even with a shirt on.

The improvements haven't been drastice in the past 4 weeks, although it may be simply because I see myself every day, it's kinda hard to judge of the true results. Judging by the weight increases, it my be less than what I was expecting.

The good news: I gained A LOT of strength, all my exercises rocketed up in weight compared to my previous WBB #1 routine state. Also, I have gained little or no body fat.

Two explanations are possible:
--1) I just simply cannot gaing fat, and am eating adequately already, I simply am a hard gainer that will never get fat.
--2) I am not eating enough, or something is missing from my eating habits, and that's why I'm not putting on fat, nor muscle mass.

I'll keep writing in my journal, I'll let at least one other week go by before taking other pictures, which I will post here, and re-take my measurements. At that point, it will be time to decide whether I need to change my eating habits or to simply go on like I am right now.

Also, the assymetry is still there, as noticeable if not more. I think my entire right side is bigger than my left. I'll keep working on exercises that stimulate both sides equally (i.e. no machine work when possible) and see where that problem goes.

Seb
12-16-2003, 08:33 PM
...and here is the unpleasant truth: on pictures, absolutely no improvements are showing after two months, in fact, since I've gained fat, I would say I look quite worse.
it sucks.

Teufelhund
12-16-2003, 11:49 PM
I disagree - yes, you have a little more body fat, but it also looks like your back has improved a good deal. I also think the relaxed comparison "after" pic would be better if your shoulders were back and arms to the side, like in the "before".

Keep at it. Don't get discouraged. 2 months isn't all that long.

Seb
12-17-2003, 01:14 PM
yeah, I knew the pictures were misleading, as I know from the mirror I did get bigger, and besides, I certainly didn't gain 15 pounds of fat only!! Plus, I'm a lot stronger than before. So I did improve, I just thought it would show more than that...

JNowiski
12-17-2003, 01:47 PM
your back looks a little better. You still look much better than me, lol.

Seb
12-17-2003, 05:22 PM
maybe I should post here as well the new and improved measurements...
biceps: were 14", now 15"
thighs: were 21", now 22"
calves: were 14", now 14"
waist: was 31", now 32"
chest: was 39", now 41"
forearms: previously unmeasured, 12

Kingair
12-17-2003, 05:43 PM
Back looks very good - really well proportioned overall. How are the legs coming? Keep up the good work man.

MrWebb78
12-17-2003, 06:41 PM
i think you look like E.T.

Saint Patrick
12-17-2003, 08:47 PM
maybe I should post here as well the new and improved measurements...
biceps: were 14", now 15"
thighs: were 21", now 22"
calves: were 14", now 14"
waist: was 31", now 32"
chest: was 39", now 41"
forearms: previously unmeasured, 12

Good progress man.

Scott S
12-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Back's definitely looking wider. I thought all I gained from my bulk was fat, but once I was done with my cut, it was obvious how much muscle I'd put on. Keep up the good work! :)

Seb
12-18-2003, 10:15 PM
Kingair, the legs are definitely stronger, although they don't look much bigger but I guess the excess fat is partly to blame. Things are coming along well, although my progress is starting to slow, so I might switch to routine number 2 soon.

I think I failed to mention I've gone from 155 to 170 in those past two months. Never thought I could gain so much weight so fast...

Kingair
12-19-2003, 02:54 AM
You got nothing to complain about - mass is coming up, proportion is really good - chest, abs and back are really strong - looking great. Keep it up man.

oldDurst
12-19-2003, 12:07 PM
I was reading your journal, great progress!!

-TIM-
12-20-2003, 09:06 AM
I thought your first set of pics from a few months ago looked good. The new ones look even better. Your back has improved nicely. Keep at the legs, they'll come around shortly if you keep hitting them hard.