PDA

View Full Version : bodybuilder vs powerlifter diet difference?

zepata
10-16-2003, 12:46 PM
hey i was wondering if anyone knew whether bodybuilders diets were different then powerlifters. not a cutting bodybuilder, a maintenance/bulking one i guess. im just curious as to whether the same amoutn of protein is required cause i've heard you can still get real strong without getting necessarily huge, which im pretty sure is correct. Thanks

bradley
10-16-2003, 01:27 PM
The diet of a powerlifter would depend on his or her goals, weight class, etc., so in general the diets would be similar.

Whether you are a powerlifter or a bodybuilder, you still need adequate amounts of protein in your diet and more is not necessarily better in regards to protein intake.

AlexBBbegginer
10-16-2003, 02:06 PM
'i've heard you can still get real strong without getting necessarily huge'

Yes its down to how you train, not what you eat.
If you want to gain mass you train hypertrophically, doing 2or3 6 rep sets with a heavy weight. Your diet would also be aiming for extra cals, 500+ over maintenance.

If you want strength, then you would increase the weight and train with less reps but increase the sets. Im not sure if the cals would differ as long as you have enough protein for maintanence and carbs for energy you should get stronger without increasing your size. I think bradley would know this better than me tho.

The 5x5 is a popluar method i believe, currently im not interested in strength tho so you should really post on the training section, im sure theres some guys who could give you some great pointers and routine ideas.

bradley
10-16-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by AlexBBbegginer
If you want strength, then you would increase the weight and train with less reps but increase the sets. Im not sure if the cals would differ as long as you have enough protein for maintanence and carbs for energy you should get stronger without increasing your size. I think bradley would know this better than me tho.

It is quite possible to increase strength without increasing muscle size, and this is accomplished through neural adaptations, increased fiber recruitment, etc.

Technically a powerlifter could probably get by on less carbs as compared to a bodybuilder due to the low number of reps that are performed for a given set, since this would rely more on the creatine phosphate system rather than muscle glycogen.