PDA

View Full Version : Milk and Low Energy

Don Birnam
10-16-2003, 10:22 PM
I often feel like my energy levels are low, and I recently read these comments from "Dr. Lark":

"Eliminate Dairy Products
Don't believe industry hype. Dairy products contain a type of protein called casein that is difficult to digest. In fact, all components of dairy products—fat, protein, and milk sugar—are hard to digest. The saturated fat in dairy products not only contributes to fatigue and depression, but to heart disease and breast and colon cancer. Dairy foods also stimulate the production of short-lived hormone-like chemicals called series-2 prostaglandins. (See red meats section below.) And finally, the amino acid tryptophan in milk has a sedative effect that can increase fatigue."

http://www.drlark.com/nc/fatigue_nutrition.asp

I drink 1/2 gallon of skim milk per day, because it gives me 720 calories and 64 grams of protein, and it's so easy to drink. But now I'm wondering if it's why I'm always so 'sedate' and lacksadaisical. Any thoughts?

reloaded
10-16-2003, 10:25 PM
i drink as much if not more milk than you do in a day. actually, that's all i drink. i havent had any noticable drops in energy when i starting drinking milk in mass quantities (hadnt drank it in like a year).

moklepaul
10-16-2003, 11:06 PM
Ditto, I drink at least a litre a day and I'm fine.

Don Birnam
10-16-2003, 11:07 PM
FYI 1/2 gallon is 1.89 Litres.

bradley
10-17-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Don Birnam

I drink 1/2 gallon of skim milk per day, because it gives me 720 calories and 64 grams of protein, and it's so easy to drink. But now I'm wondering if it's why I'm always so 'sedate' and lacksadaisical. Any thoughts?

While I do not puch much stock in the whole "anti-milk" argument, but the tryptophan could be a cause of your lack of energy. What does the rest of your diet look like? Do you eat a large meal, including high amounts of carbs, for lunch?

From your other thread it seems as though you are implying that the fatigue sets in over the course of the day.

reloaded
10-17-2003, 06:56 AM
alot of times, if you eat a fairly large meal during the day, your stomach uses alot of blood and energy to help digest your food. that's why tons of people can get tired after they eat lunch or something. perhaps keep that in thought when you are feeling tired.

J450n
10-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Don Birnam
I often feel like my energy levels are low, and I recently read these comments from "Dr. Lark":

"Eliminate Dairy Products
Don't believe industry hype. Dairy products contain a type of protein called casein that is difficult to digest. In fact, all components of dairy products—fat, protein, and milk sugar—are hard to digest. The saturated fat in dairy products not only contributes to fatigue and depression, but to heart disease and breast and colon cancer. Dairy foods also stimulate the production of short-lived hormone-like chemicals called series-2 prostaglandins. (See red meats section below.) And finally, the amino acid tryptophan in milk has a sedative effect that can increase fatigue."

http://www.drlark.com/nc/fatigue_nutrition.asp

Everything is 'bad' for us these days.. one min it's ok, next it's not.. either way i drink about the same as you and it never bothers me...

AllUp
10-17-2003, 10:30 AM
Dude some fat farmer made money off your asses!
By the way.. Got Pus? :P

AllUp
10-17-2003, 10:32 AM
Seriously man.. Unless your a suckling calf you shouldnt be hittin that stuff every day :/

J450n
10-17-2003, 10:37 AM
^ You been reading to many stories....

J450n
10-17-2003, 10:39 AM
I mean hell, if we listened to what these boffs had to say about everything we eat, we'd be all sitting around eating leaves and chewing plants...

bradley
10-17-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by AllUp
Seriously man.. Unless your a suckling calf you shouldnt be hittin that stuff every day :/

Do you have any literature stating that milk consumption is detrimental to overall health? When I say literature I mean published studies, articles, etc.:)

Dedicated
10-17-2003, 06:57 PM
I find that a big glass of milk makes me feel "better" and more energetic. I have been drinking milk my entire life though so maybe it is somewhat habitual now; so that when I don't have it I feel weak and tired.

hngacurv
10-18-2003, 01:22 AM
I think milk can be very beneficial in a bodybuilders diet. You are probably getting tired from the high amounts of tryptophan and your body's insulin response to all the sugar.

Spartacus
10-18-2003, 02:10 AM
I think milk can be very beneficial in a bodybuilders diet. You are probably getting tired from the high amounts of tryptophan and your body's insulin response to all the sugar.

the insulin response from milk isn't really much a result of the "sugar" since lactose breaks down quite slowly

hngacurv
10-18-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Spartacus

the insulin response from milk isn't really much a result of the "sugar" since lactose breaks down quite slowly That was something I didn't know. I just searched around a little and found that skim milk has a GI rating of about 32.

bradley
10-18-2003, 04:26 AM

the insulin response from milk isn't really much a result of the "sugar" since lactose breaks down quite slowly

While the GI of milk is low, it has a high insulin index (II), which is a measure of the insulin secreted in response to a food.

Exnor
10-18-2003, 04:50 AM
It's difficult to balance things in a BB's diet, but its possible, and I believe its the healthiest diet.

Spartacus
10-18-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by bradley

While the GI of milk is low, it has a high insulin index (II), which is a measure of the insulin secreted in response to a food.

why does it have a high insulin index score compared to its low GI?

PizDoff
10-18-2003, 09:44 PM
Milk turns me on.

Er.......give me energy.

Originally posted by reloaded
alot of times, if you eat a fairly large meal during the day, your stomach uses alot of blood and energy to help digest your food. that's why tons of people can get tired after they eat lunch or something. perhaps keep that in thought when you are feeling tired.

Did everyone miss this? I totally agree....

bradley
10-19-2003, 04:34 AM

why does it have a high insulin index score compared to its low GI?

The GI is a measure of the increase in blood sugar levels after consumption of a specific food, where as the insulin index is a measure of how much insulin is secreted in repsonse to a particular food.

There are other factors that can potentiate the release of insulin, such as some particular amino acids, gastrointestinal hormones, etc.

JeffWillConquer
10-19-2003, 09:59 AM
My dad told me that they used to say that after a certain age you should stop taking calcium(or vitamin C, one of the two) ...who would believe that now?