PDA

View Full Version : artificial sweetener - how much is considered excessive?

chops
10-17-2003, 12:42 PM
i end up using about 6-8 packets a day of any artificial sweetener, whatever type is available. i also drink one diet soda per day.

is that considered an unhealthy amount of the sweetener? if not, what would u consider too much?

PizDoff
10-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Aspartame?

I haven't heard of anyone developing "rare forms of cancer" from it yet.
I just have a bit whenever I chew gum. I like real sugar.

http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search/ca?vc=&p=aspartame

BTW that girl in your avatar is pretty damn nice!

SquareHead
10-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by PizDoff

BTW that girl in your avatar is pretty damn nice!

LOL. That is all.

bradley
10-17-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by chops
i end up using about 6-8 packets a day of any artificial sweetener, whatever type is available. i also drink one diet soda per day.

is that considered an unhealthy amount of the sweetener? if not, what would u consider too much?

In general no, but I will try and dig up some related studies if you have a question on a specific artificial sweetner. Most of the studies that I have seen, in regards to detrimental effects of artificial sweetners, were using very large amounts which would not be relevant in the real world.

Here are some references that might be of interest.:)
----------------

Aspartame: review of safety.

Butchko HH, Stargel WW, Comer CP, Mayhew DA, Benninger C, Blackburn GL, de Sonneville LM, Geha RS, Hertelendy Z, Koestner A, Leon AS, Liepa GU, McMartin KE, Mendenhall CL, Munro IC, Novotny EJ, Renwick AG, Schiffman SS, Schomer DL, Shaywitz BA, Spiers PA, Tephly TR, Thomas JA, Trefz FK.

Medical and Scientific Affairs, The NutraSweet Company, Mt Prospect, Illinois 60056, USA. harriett.h.butchko@nutrasweet.com

Over 20 years have elapsed since aspartame was approved by regulatory agencies as a sweetener and flavor enhancer. The safety of aspartame and its metabolic constituents was established through extensive toxicology studies in laboratory animals, using much greater doses than people could possibly consume. Its safety was further confirmed through studies in several human subpopulations, including healthy infants, children, adolescents, and adults; obese individuals; diabetics; lactating women; and individuals heterozygous (PKUH) for the genetic disease phenylketonuria (PKU) who have a decreased ability to metabolize the essential amino acid, phenylalanine. Several scientific issues continued to be raised after approval, largely as a concern for theoretical toxicity from its metabolic components--the amino acids, aspartate and phenylalanine, and methanol--even though dietary exposure to these components is much greater than from aspartame. Nonetheless, additional research, including evaluations of possible associations between aspartame and headaches, seizures, behavior, cognition, and mood as well as allergic-type reactions and use by potentially sensitive subpopulations, has continued after approval. These findings are reviewed here. The safety testing of aspartame has gone well beyond that required to evaluate the safety of a food additive. When all the research on aspartame, including evaluations in both the premarketing and postmarketing periods, is examined as a whole, it is clear that aspartame is safe, and there are no unresolved questions regarding its safety under conditions of intended use.
------------

Repeated dose study of sucralose tolerance in human subjects.

Baird IM, Shephard NW, Merritt RJ, Hildick-Smith G.

Pine Court, Fairbourne, Cobham, Surrey KT11 2BT, UK.

Two tolerance studies were conducted in healthy human adult volunteers. The first study was an ascending dose study conducted in eight subjects, in which sucralose was administered at doses of 1, 2. 5, 5 and 10mg/kg at 48-hour intervals and followed by daily dosing at 2mg/kg for 3 days and 5mg/kg for 4 days. In the second study, subjects consumed either sucralose (n=77) or fructose (50g/day) (n=31) twice daily in single blind fashion. Sucralose dosage levels were 125mg/day for weeks 1-3, 250mg/day during weeks 4-7, and 500mg/day during weeks 8-12. No adverse experiences or clinically detectable effects were attributable to sucralose in either study. Similarly, haematology, serum biochemistry, urinalysis and EKG tracings were unaffected by sucralose administration. In the 13-week study, serial slit lamp ophthalmologic examination performed in a random subset of the study groups revealed no changes. Fasting and 2-hour post-dosing blood sucralose concentrations obtained daily during week 12 of the study revealed no rising trend for blood sucralose. Sucralose was well tolerated by human volunteers in single doses up to 10mg/kg/day and repeated doses increasing to 5mg/kg/day for 13 weeks. Based on these studies and the extensive animal safety database, there is no indication that adverse effects on human health would occur from frequent or long-term exposure to sucralose at the maximum anticipated levels of intake.
----------------------

chops
10-17-2003, 03:21 PM
pizdoff thanks bro , lol

squarehead i'm with stupid

bradley no specific question. i dont know many people who use the fake stuff, so relative to others, didn't know if 8 packets is a lot, or perceived to be an unheathly amount in general. thanks for the info - it makes my oatmeal a lot more palatable :)

Scott S
10-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Aspartame isn't the one that cased cancer in lab mice. That's saccharine.

Aspartame can cause brain damage if you are phenylketonuric, and you'd know it if you were.

BTW, that chick in your avatar IS pretty cute. Too bad I have a girlfriend! :D

chops
10-17-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Scott S

BTW, that chick in your avatar IS pretty cute. Too bad I have a girlfriend! :D

she only likes guys who wear new balance tho

bradley
10-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Scott S
Aspartame can cause brain damage if you are phenylketonuric, and you'd know it if you were.

According to the review I posted above the above statement is not accurate.

hngacurv
10-18-2003, 01:45 AM
I drink Kool-Aid made with Sweet and Low like their going to quit making the stuff tomorrow. I only use 16 packets instead of the 24 that = 1 cup of sugar. On average I drink the 2 quarts throughout the day.

PizDoff
10-18-2003, 09:15 AM
*GRIN*

"Aspartame isn't the one that cased cancer in lab mice. That's saccharine."

Sweet and Low?

The warning makes my LMAO everytime!

"she only likes guys who wear new balance tho"
Hmm.....I don't know. I don't like "material" girls.
To hard to please.....outside of the bedroo....
*Ahem.*
Though I would just like to state that I DO wear New Balance shoes.

Scott S
10-18-2003, 02:28 PM
chops: Just when I threw out my old pair of NB's... :(

bradley: Makes sense. I always figured the amounts of phenylalanine and "wood alcohol" were low enough to have negligible effects. Gotta love the media.

bradley
10-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by StevenEric
8 pacs is too much. I'm not writing volumes here but I have studied nutrition. Some of these sweetners have different reactions with different people. 3 pacs per day tops.

Any references?

Scorpion
10-20-2003, 03:04 PM
Personally i would stay away from Asparthame at all costs unless you would like to die early.

Asparthame is a killer sweetener that has a long plot/conspiracy behind it of why it's used worldwide in over 6,000 products and the horrific damages and side effects it has on people. There is a list available on the Internet by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) of about 92 symptons like brain tumors and such that it gives. Personally my advice would be to stay away from this, not just a little, but in every food you eat as much as possible.

Checkout the following links...
http://www.dorway.com/
http://www.fountofyouth.com/kari.html
http://www3.sympatico.ca/truegrowth/aspartame.htm
http://www.stopdubya.com/Aspartame%20Kills.htm

I hope you find those links useful and enlightening. I personally have been studying conspiracies and various aspects of medicine and such for over 6 years ... in my opinion i would not use this junk sweetener at any cost.

:)

bradley
10-20-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Scorpion
I hope you find those links useful and enlightening. I personally have been studying conspiracies and various aspects of medicine and such for over 6 years ... in my opinion i would not use this junk sweetener at any cost.

:)

Thanks for the links, but I was referring to published articles and/or studies from respectable journals. I have learned not to trust everything that I see on the internet, especially in relation to sites that use scare tactics to get their point across.

bradley
10-20-2003, 04:23 PM
Safety of long-term large doses of aspartame.

Leon AS, Hunninghake DB, Bell C, Rassin DK, Tephly TR.

Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis.

Safety of long-term administration of 75 mg/kg of aspartame per day was evaluated with the use of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group design in 108 male and female volunteers aged 18 to 62 years. Subjects received either aspartame or placebo in capsule form three times daily for 24 weeks. No persistent changes over time were noted in either group in vital signs; body weight; results of standard laboratory tests; fasting blood levels of aspartame's constituent amino acids (aspartic acid and phenylalanine), other amino acids, and methanol; or blood formate levels and 24-hour urinary excretion of formate. There also were no statistically significant differences between groups in the number of subjects experiencing symptoms or in the number of symptoms per subject. These results further document the safety of the long-term consumption of aspartame at doses equivalent to the amount of aspartame in approximately 10 L of beverage per day.

Scorpion
10-20-2003, 05:08 PM
I see your point about not trusting everything you see on the net, your spot on there my friend. I just stated my opinion cuz also i have had some personal experiences with asparthame.

My cousin sister used to have products heavy in asparthame, she had blackouts and fainted badly 3 times in 1 week, dats scary man.

Sensei
07-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Pretty common to hear about joint pain associated with artificial sweeteners - my wife's doctor has mentioned it and a powerlifting friend has recently given up using splenda in foods... I was wondering if anyone has had this experience.