PDA

View Full Version : Which is more important?

Bruteman
10-17-2003, 05:36 PM
When doing speed work, or dynamic work, or whatever you want to call it what is more important, the actual bar speed or the effort to move the bar fast? If I do sets of 5 after the 3rd rep the actual bar speed slows down, but I'm still trying to make it go fast. So should I lighten the weight so all 5 reps are actually fast or is the effort to make the bar go fast on those last 2 reps good enough?

MixmasterNash
10-17-2003, 06:14 PM
Why so many reps for speed work? Most speed work that I've seen is in teh 2-3 rep range.

If you can't move it quickly for a certain number of reps, I believe the standard answer is that you need to reduce weight so that you can mantain speed.

Bruteman
10-18-2003, 06:01 PM
Got it. The actual bar speed is more important.

I think most people use the 2-3 range cause most follow a ''westside-type" protocol. I was going to base my program around this guy www.olympus.net/personal/cablebar . He talks about a 5x5 type routine.

Don't know if I'll actually go threw with this idea of powerlifting though. I've been doing bblding type workouts for so long, it's hard to break old habbits.