PDA

View Full Version : Question on grip work

Max-Mex
10-17-2003, 06:40 PM
It's a question on one particular exercise. I do barbell static grip work (I think that's what it's called). My question is, what kinda goal should I try to attain before I up the weight? Currently I can do 2x30-40secs@205. I use an overhand grip. Is that long enough or should I shoot for longer? Also, is it better to use a barbell or dumbells?

Bruise Brubaker
10-18-2003, 03:40 PM
You can call them barbell static grip work or simply static holds.

30-40 seconds in my opinion is quite a long time.

First, you have to question yourself whats your main use of grip strength.

By example, if it's for deadlift and your deadlift sets are lasting 30-40 seconds, then continue training it for 30-40s.

As for progression, if you want to do 30-40, then just find a weight you hold for 30s, and when you can finally hold it 40s, find a new heavier weight that you'll hold for 30s...

I prefer to use a barbell as most gyms don't have real heavy dumbells. Also, I can put the barbell on the squat rack safety bars (GRIP JOCKEY!) while I have to pick the heaviest dumbells off the ground and I wouldn't want them to land on my feet at the end of the set

Max-Mex
10-20-2003, 11:13 AM
We have some pretty heavy DB's here so I'll use those until I run outta DB's then switch to BB. 30 secs sounds good. Thanks for the help.

ChampionLifter8
10-25-2003, 08:42 PM
Bruise brubaker your grip work looks fine, i use the overhand grip while doing static holds and i get a great burn in my forearms. I usually do a weight i can do 30 sec, 20 sec, and 15 sec. Make sure you use progressive overload while doing this exercise.