PDA

View Full Version : Breads, Rice, Potatoes

SadCubicleHead
09-07-2001, 10:41 AM
I eat a lot of breads (whole wheat only) throughout the day.
Is it healthy to do this?

I heard eating too much breads, rice, potatoes can cause you to gain fat, rather than to gain legitimate muscle.

Is this true?

--------------
Side Note:
Iím trying to gain legitimate mass. I lift weights 4 hours a week and jog for 1.5 hrs/wk.
---------------
Extra Side Note:
Weight: 142
Height: 6'1
---------------

SadCubicleHead Ė I hope death is near.

Spiderman
09-07-2001, 10:59 AM
Not to be mean bro, but I think by this time most of us know your stats and your goals. ;) No need to keep posting them. As for those items...it seems as though you're a hard gainer. The whole wheat bread is fine. I'd leave the potatoes, if they are white to after your workout. Eating baked Yams will be great for ya. They're tasty and loaded with nutrients. As for the rice...its good for you as well. Again, if its white, eat it post-workout. The brown is great for ya and also has good nutrients in it. Hope this helps ya out some. ;) Don't worry about gaining a ton of fat, bein a hardgainer I'd worry about gettin in enough calories period.

SadCubicleHead
09-07-2001, 11:45 AM
No more stats! Hoohaa!

I'd leave the potatoes, if they are white to after your workout.
Why leave the potatoes for after working out?
What if they are sweet potatoes (I hate sweet potatoes).

Don't worry about gaining a ton of fat, bein a hardgainer I'd worry about gettin in enough calories period.
Out of curiosity, how am I considered a Ďhard gainerí?
What is enough calories for my body weight?

SadCubicleHead,
2 hours and 8 minutes before work is over :-)

hemants
09-07-2001, 11:50 AM
Is your current diet fairly consistent?

If so count your calories and that is maintenance (ie. you don't gain or lose weight). I'd add 300-600 calories per day to that to start for a few weeks. If you don't gain fat you can add a couple hundred more etc. etc.

Wizard
09-07-2001, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by SadCubicleHead

1)Why leave the potatoes for after working out?
2)What if they are sweet potatoes (I hate sweet potatoes).

1)Potatoes cause a rapid insulin response,which is exactly what you need to get from a postworkout meal to ensure a faster recovery.

2)Sweet potatoes have some fibre and thus cause a slower insulin response which is preferable for any other meal of the day apart from the postworkout meal.