PDA

View Full Version : Errrrrr, STill got CUTTING PROBLEMS! :(

defcon
10-19-2003, 06:18 PM
Okay guiys.. a few of you prolly remember some of my previous posts.. know a lil bit about me ect ect.. well this is the deal, in the last month-month and a half ive been binging like crazy... i have developed/aquired an eating disorder.. were talking 6000-7000 cals a day of junk food.. and i do it 3-4-5 days a week.. it has addded up to a very unhappy me, and about 15lbs of pure fat. The last few weeks ive been trying to cut.. this is my problem.. i can controle my diet perfect, up until about 6-7 pm.. ( i am mainily able to do this because im in class/working or/busy up until this time.. but when 7 rolls around i usually find my self being tempted a lot.. then i ama ble to hold off, but keep thinking and thinking about food.. then i lose control and blow the whole weeks worth of cutting in a few minutes.. anyone got any suggestions as to what i can try to do to keep my mind off food around this time of day.. and dun say study.. cuz when i do that i just think about food more :D :P i got midterms coming up now next week.. that will bound to keep me busy. BUT STARTING TOMMOROW IM GOING TO CUT! AND IM NOT GONNA BINGE ON NETHING OR NE OF THAT **** BECAUSE IM SICK OF IT. There.. had to vent sorry :P

Well thas my deal.. sumone pls reply :)

PizDoff
10-19-2003, 07:19 PM
Drink more water.....

Few side effects. :)

Saint Patrick
10-19-2003, 08:17 PM
Every time you get the urge to eat junk food, go run a mile around the block instead. If you think about it DURING your run, then add another mile.

PizDoff
10-19-2003, 08:26 PM
Then drink water....

Then look at the nutritional information one the JUNK food.
REALISE IT IS CALLED JUNK FOOD!!!!!!!

aHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE BAD STUFF FOR YOU!!!!

moklepaul
10-19-2003, 10:02 PM
See a professional?

Jasonl
10-19-2003, 10:22 PM
all these suggestions are good, i also suggest throwing out and never buying any more junk food. gum is a lifesaver as well, you know, the minty stuff that makes food taste bad after you've chewed it. also, when i was cutting i found it helpful to brush my teeth. someting about it makes me not want to eat after i brush my teeth, don't know, maybe i'm just weird...

PizDoff
10-19-2003, 11:07 PM
I get the same.

Gum is considered junk food?

Shao-LiN
10-19-2003, 11:17 PM
I have no more junk food in my house. I'm forced to actually eat healthy *shiver*.

If you're always tempted, get rid of the temptation. If you keep buying it for yourself and can't control it, then you only have yourself to blame, honestly.

I love eating too, but I can control when I want to because I look at the 200 pound, 30% body fat guy next to me and remember that I don't want to look like that.

shansen008
10-19-2003, 11:45 PM
Whenever you get the urge, just drink lots of water, it gives you the illusion of being full. You can never have enough water. Eat at normal intervals during the day though....and control portions.

Here is what works for me, EAT SLOWLY. If i eat fast i can easily put away like 4 chicken breasts in a sitting. If i eat 1 slowly, and then wait 5 minutes, sometimes my hunger will go away. Give your body time to let you know what it needs and what it doesnt. It takes time for your body to let you know youre full. This is why most people are either hungry or "stuffed", but never just satisfied.

defcon
10-20-2003, 04:33 AM
ight thanx for all the suggestions guys, today is gonna be the official start of my no binge cutting :D

PizDoff
10-20-2003, 06:55 AM
and no junk food either

WATER!

Jasonl
10-20-2003, 05:56 PM
i never meant to imply gum was junk food, what i meant was the really strong, minty gum makes food taste bad after you've been chewing it for a while. just another one of those weird things i've noticed works for me.

kathnmarc
10-21-2003, 05:58 AM
If I'm craving junk food, I just go do one very, very light set of lifting for each body part and that gets my blood pumping and into the muscles that I've worked so hard to build. Thus reminding me why I'm not going to give in to the junk food urge. Just think, everything you eat makes you what you are! And you can tell as soon as you walk into a room what each and every person's diet consists of in that room. Keep that in mind also. You work hard for what you've got, don't blow it easily with giving in to the cravings. (it's easier to give up, than stay and fight)

Silverback
10-21-2003, 03:15 PM
How does your daily diet structure look?

I know quite a few people (most of them women) who i help with their weight-loss/cutting diet, but they tend to eat too little through the day, then come the evening they 'binge' and throw away the hard work.

Maybe you could try and structure eating more food earlier in the day thus decreasing the chance of desiring the binge.

defcon
10-21-2003, 05:40 PM
My diet is as follows...

M1 - 4 egg whites and 1 yolk, 2/3 cup dry oats
M2 - tuna and 1/3 dry oats
M3 - tuna and 2/3 Dry Oats ( pre workout )
*** workout /cardio ***
P/W Shake
M4 - 2/3 Oatmeal + 4 egg whites and 1 yolk
M5 - 30grams walnuts, pack of herring fillets ( http://www.brunswick.ca/usaenglish/product_specific.asp?flavourid=54 )
M6 - Cup cottage cheese

When i stop loseing weight i was planning to drop the M3 and M4 oatmeal down to 1/3 cup, then in another month or 5 weeks or w/e drop the M1 oatmeal to 1/3 cup..

EDIT: ADDED THE LINK TO HERRING FILLETS.

AJ_11
10-21-2003, 11:23 PM
me boat. I really don't knopwe what has come over me, usually it last for mnome more than a day, but lateley it been the complete ****s. I seriously do really good and than boom, junk food gallor, I am taking boxes of cereals and pails of Ice Cream. I must say I too am going to stop. There is nothing that you can do physicially it is mroe in the mind. I know wxactly how you feel as I can relate to you 100%.

Check your Pm BoX BTW

Shao-LiN
10-23-2003, 03:29 PM
How much fat is in that diet?

AJ_11
10-23-2003, 03:40 PM
In mine, too much :) well I have now controlled myself to limit it to carbs, mostly coming from oatmeal, wheat bran, oat bran. It tends to fill me up physicially but not mentally. I still am taking fish oil, but its the #E%*#^% mental anguise that is killing me.

AJ_11
10-23-2003, 03:41 PM
Also I think that deep down I want to BULK even though I still need to cut. But I have so far minimized it to one day bulk 2 day cut.

defcon
10-23-2003, 03:50 PM
lol aj.. that is like me, i hate cutting, no gains, ect ect, mentally draining :( bulking is fun, and when i bulk i can bulk extremely clean because i know im allowed to eat as much oatmeal ect as i want.. and not worrie too muccha bout it, so there for i never cheat.. last bulking cycle i gained a fair amount of lbs, and like 1%bf... then i stared to cut and basically ended up bulking on junk food and gained like 5-6% bf in the run of a month.. now i HAVE to cut that off and get back down to atleast where i was before i developed that binging problem.. and to Shao-LiN, the diet breaks down to roucghly 45% pro/25% carb/30% fat ( most efa, cept the fat from sum egg yolks )

Spartacus
10-23-2003, 06:57 PM
hey defcon, it sounds like you eat more because of psychological reasons than because of hunger. i would suggest you need some sort of activity to distract you from hunger. perhaps make some hot tea and sip on that. it will take some time, and occupy you orally which can help shift your need from food.

BECOMING
10-23-2003, 08:09 PM
hey defcon. the next time you have the "urge" perhaps you could either get naked and look at yourself in front of a mirror or just grab the fat that you have and ask yourself "is this what i want?" i read that in some mens health magazine i think.

remember motivation comes and goes but self dicipline is a choice.

Alex.V
10-23-2003, 08:30 PM
A binge eating disorder is no joke, I've been there too. It's hard as hell to get over it... check out your diet... can you live on that, or will you get cravings? If it's too restrictive, you'll have a hell of a time sticking to it. Baby steps, man. Schedule in junk, even. It helps. PM me if you need more advice.

Newby81
10-23-2003, 11:25 PM
defcon,i feel u,, ive been there done that and many times i must say,, 1st of all you need to be getting about 2200 calories on cut if your 180 pds, what you said you eat does not seem to equal that, try that for a week,, if you seem to not lose a pound a week drop the calories by 200,,, basically adjust from there to lose 1 pound per week,, anymore could be muscle and we do not want that,
now ive noticed in your meals seems as though you are not getting enough fat ,, when i cut i use a 50/25/25 P/C/F which comes out to about 250 grams of protein, 150 carbs,,and 67 grams of fat,, and this works great for me
woahhhh,, i just looked at your meal plan buddy and your running in starvation mode,,, your cut is not good at all if your 180pds, especially if your not competing,your also most likely to lose some muscle with that plan,, its just not well structured at all try this
m1--3/4cup oatmeal in water/ 4eggs + 1 yolk/ and 3oz of chicken breast( if you dont want that you need to add 25 grams more protein in this meal with minimal fat )
m2---1can tuna + 1/2 cup oatmeal + 1 tablespoon natual peanut butter
m3--- 1can tuna + 1/2 dry oats + 1 tablespoon natural PB ( this meal will be 1 hour 30 min before your workout )
m4(pw shake)--- depends if you want to spike your insulin but immediatly after your w/o consume 30g protein + 1/2 cup oatmeal , no fat at all
m5 ( 1 hour after shake ) : ditch the herring and eat a big peice of chicken breast with a big salad , veggies like tomatoes,cucumbers,mushrooms,peppers onions are good,, add vinegar over the salad
m6 ----- 1 cup of lowfat cottage cheese ( 2gfat/ 1/2 cup) +1 table spoon natural peanut butter
that should be perfect for you and believe me your binging will stop ,, pm if you need more help , do not decrease any amount i showed you .
as for binging,, if you feel like your gonna binge and you know you cant prevent it, i know how that is , do yourself a favor ,, get a huuuuuuge plastic bowl and add a crapload of oatmeal ( 5 cups if you have to) and water heat it up , and eat till you feel like puking ,,, dont start adding junk in your oats though,, if your gonna binge you might as well do it healthy ,, no sat or trans fats and no insulin spiking
but if you follow that diet the way i wrote it for you i seriously doubt youll binge

Newby81
10-23-2003, 11:32 PM
by the way your eating should be every 2-3 hours ,, and those numbers and ratios i listed above ( 50/25/25 ,,, 250/150/67) are made for you since your about 180,, they are not mine
like i said pm me for more help

bradley
10-24-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Newby81
now ive noticed in your meals seems as though you are not getting enough fat ,, when i cut i use a 50/25/25 P/C/F which comes out to about 250 grams of protein, 150 carbs,,and 67 grams of fat,, and this works great for me

According to his previous post his diet breaks down to 45/25/30 p/c/f.

woahhhh,, i just looked at your meal plan buddy and your running in starvation mode,,, your cut is not good at all if your 180pds, especially if your not competing,your also most likely to lose some muscle with that plan,, its just not well structured at all try this

How can you determine that he is not eating enough, as calorie intake will vary from person to person? Some people have to drop calories low to get the desired fat loss, but this does not necessarily mean they are losing muscle.

m1--3/4cup oatmeal in water/ 4eggs + 1 yolk/ and 3oz of chicken breast( if you dont want that you need to add 25 grams more protein in this meal with minimal fat )
m2---1can tuna + 1/2 cup oatmeal + 1 tablespoon natual peanut butter
m3--- 1can tuna + 1/2 dry oats + 1 tablespoon natural PB ( this meal will be 1 hour 30 min before your workout )
m4(pw shake)--- depends if you want to spike your insulin but immediatly after your w/o consume 30g protein + 1/2 cup oatmeal , no fat at all
m5 ( 1 hour after shake ) : ditch the herring and eat a big peice of chicken breast with a big salad , veggies like tomatoes,cucumbers,mushrooms,peppers onions are good,, add vinegar over the salad
m6 ----- 1 cup of lowfat cottage cheese ( 2gfat/ 1/2 cup) +1 table spoon natural peanut butter

This diet lacks omega-3 fatty acids which would be beneficial on a cut, so getting rid of the herring would not be a good idea IMO.

as for binging,, if you feel like your gonna binge and you know you cant prevent it, i know how that is , do yourself a favor ,, get a huuuuuuge plastic bowl and add a crapload of oatmeal ( 5 cups if you have to) and water heat it up , and eat till you feel like puking ,,, dont start adding junk in your oats though,, if your gonna binge you might as well do it healthy ,, no sat or trans fats and no insulin

You would get quite an insulin response from eating 5 cups of oats, and insulin will be released regardless of whether you eat low GI or high GI carbs.

defcon
10-24-2003, 04:40 AM
thanx for all the replies guys.. but with the caloruie limit that my diet was @ ables me to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week, and since im @ a high bf% i am assuming that most of that, if not all, is fat.. plus, i have ate 5 cups + of oatmeal in 1 sitting, mayny times :) i am the ultimate oatmeal eater! muhaha :D o well, i like the tea idea.. to bad i can't stand the taste of it :P how many calories are in tea anyway? like almost nothing isn't it?

bradley
10-24-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by defcon
how many calories are in tea anyway? like almost nothing isn't it?

It is not a significant amount, and if I remember correctly it is around 5 cals per cup.

Newby81
10-24-2003, 09:05 AM
bradley ,, im just trying to get this kid to quit the binging
as for efa's , yes it would be very beneficial to substitute 2tbls of the nat pb to 2 tblsps flaxseed oil or fish oil but lets take it one step at a time,, feed him some fish oil in place of 2tblsp PB and i guarentee you the binge will come up again,i believe cutting is a slow process that must be done right in order to succeed , you need to understand your body 1st before you create caloric deficits,, or else your binging is going to jump up reaccuringly,,,
now the 5 cups of oats,,, 1st how do you figure itll spike his insulin,,, 2nd if hes gonna pound a gallon of ice cream or a box of ceral or oreos and chips , tell me which you think is better,,, the idea of eating 5 cups is not for him to "EAT" the 5 cups,,, im 220 pounds and i could never eat 5 cups ,, i usually get full after 2-3 ,,, but itll fool ( satisfy)the eye,,, its all a mind game

Newby81
10-24-2003, 09:29 AM
defcon ,, about the efa's,, if you can invest in a peice of samon 3-4 times a week in place of chicken or tuna that would be great,, i just dont think your ready for fish oil, or flax,,, get your fats right now from tasty yet healthy fats until you know your able to control yourself ,, then add flax or fish oil......
also in no way im i trying to be your dietician, i just believe that you need to take it one step at a time ,, you cant just decide one day that your going to cut 1500 calories from your diet after binging everyday,,, sounds like itlll work but most likely youll start again after a week or so

IceRgrrl
10-24-2003, 09:34 AM
defcon, try scheduling some activity/obligation/errand during that time when you find yourself vulnerable to a binge. Just removing yourself from a place where you can act on it can be helpful AND you'll be productive during that time.

Also, when cutting/dieting eating soup can be a great way to fill up without adding a lot of calories. Plus it's a great way to sneak some more veggies into your diet. Homemade soup is the best (and it's easy) but for convenience, there are a lot of good low sodium canned soups available. You can always add more veggies/spices to them as well.

bradley
10-24-2003, 01:16 PM
bradley ,, im just trying to get this kid to quit the binging
as for efa's , yes it would be very beneficial to substitute 2tbls of the nat pb to 2 tblsps flaxseed oil or fish oil but lets take it one step at a time,, feed him some fish oil in place of 2tblsp PB and i guarentee you the binge will come up again,

Why is that? The herring was a good source of EFAs, and I still so no reason to leave out EFAs, and I still do not understand how peanut butter will help prevent binging, as compared to fish oil, herring, flaxseed etc.

now the 5 cups of oats,,, 1st how do you figure itll spike his insulin,,,

I did not state that it would cause an insulin spike, but when consuming that amount of low GI carbs you would also need to take into account the glycemic load. There would be more glucose entering the bloodstream at once due to the sheer amount of carbs consumed. The higher the blood sugar the greater the insulin response, so therefore the low GI carbs would act similar to high GI carbs.

2nd if hes gonna pound a gallon of ice cream or a box of ceral or oreos and chips , tell me which you think is better,,, the idea of eating 5 cups is not for him to "EAT" the 5 cups,,, im 220 pounds and i could never eat 5 cups ,, i usually get full after 2-3 ,,, but itll fool ( satisfy)the eye,,, its all a mind game

From his previous posts he has stated that oats were something that he had binged on before, so encouraging him to eat oats is not the best idea IMO. Although I realize that you might not have been aware of this.

Binge eating does not necessarily mean you are going to eat junk food, and can consist of binging on anything from oats to apples. I just do not see the benefit of recommending a binge eater to binge on anything.

bradley
10-24-2003, 01:17 PM
defcon ,, about the efa's,, if you can invest in a peice of samon 3-4 times a week in place of chicken or tuna that would be great,, i just dont think your ready for fish oil, or flax,,, get your fats right now from tasty yet healthy fats until you know your able to control yourself ,, then add flax or fish oil......

The herring was a good source of EFAs.:)

defcon
10-24-2003, 03:16 PM
Yap.. and tasty! yum :)

defcon
10-24-2003, 03:17 PM
plus being a college student.. eating out of a dorm room, i can not cook anything.. only able to boil water.. so, i do not think i am going to be treating myself to a peice of salmon cooked in lemon juice with lots of herbs all over it, anytime soon :) and besides, that is expensive! hell, i often have to decide if i will buy shampoo, or save up for WHEY :) and you all know what i chose.. :)

AJ_11
10-24-2003, 03:40 PM
defcon, how long has it been. I am sick of this myself as well. I just finished off a box of shredded wheat. I really don't know what has come over me, I have never been like this, maybe someting is going around.

So this is my Idea, me and you should have a contest she who can last the longest without binging. And you know what I mean by that.

We can decide the prize but altimately being binge free will be the best prize of all. But I like to have something to shoot for.

Tell me what you think, I am willing to start as of this last bowl of cereal. and will continue as long as possible.

You in. The rest I hopew that we can count on you for motivation.

defcon
10-24-2003, 03:42 PM
Youron AJ :D whats your msn email? i got MSN add me.. def_con@hotmail.com i PMed you it..

bradley
10-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by defcon
plus being a college student.. eating out of a dorm room, i can not cook anything.. only able to boil water.. so, i do not think i am going to be treating myself to a peice of salmon cooked in lemon juice with lots of herbs all over it, anytime soon :) and besides, that is expensive! hell, i often have to decide if i will buy shampoo, or save up for WHEY :) and you all know what i chose.. :)

You can always try canned salmon.:D

defcon
10-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Oh i have :)

AJ_11
10-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Day 1, good. No urges. how you doing defcon.

defcon
10-25-2003, 05:01 PM
Had a lil urge, nothing big tho.. it passed in 30 mins or so, were tied so far :) does anyone know if the yankees play tonight? i can't find the tv schedual anywhere, bleh!

bradley
10-25-2003, 05:02 PM
Just out of curiosity have either of you tried 5-HTP to combat food cravings, especially carb cravings?

defcon
10-25-2003, 05:03 PM
no i havent... i'll do a search on it now, see what i get.. i dun even know what it is.. any info there bradely? :)

bradley
10-26-2003, 03:15 AM
Eating behavior and adherence to dietary prescriptions in obese adult subjects treated with 5-hydroxytryptophan.

Cangiano C, Ceci F, Cascino A, Del Ben M, Laviano A, Muscaritoli M, Antonucci F, Rossi-Fanelli F.

3rd Department of Internal Medicine, University of Rome, La Sapienza, Italy.

Previous observations have shown that oral administration of 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) without dietary prescriptions causes anorexia, decreased food intake, and weight loss in obese subjects. To confirm these data over a longer period of observation and to verify whether adherence to dietary restriction could be improved by 5-HTP, 20 obese patients were randomly assigned to receive either 5-HTP (900 mg/d) or a placebo. The study was double-blinded and was for two consecutive 6-wk periods. No diet was prescribed during the first period, a 5040-kJ/d diet was recommended for the second. Significant weight loss was observed in 5-HTP-treated patients during both periods. A reduction in carbohydrate intake and a consistent presence of early satiety were also found. These findings together with the good tolerance observed suggest that 5-HTP may be safely used to treat obesity
----------

5-Hydroxytryptophan: a clinically-effective serotonin precursor.

Birdsall TC.

73541.2166@compuserve.com

5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is the intermediate metabolite of the essential amino acid L-tryptophan (LT) in the biosynthesis of serotonin. Intestinal absorption of 5-HTP does not require the presence of a transport molecule, and is not affected by the presence of other amino acids; therefore it may be taken with meals without reducing its effectiveness. Unlike LT, 5-HTP cannot be shunted into niacin or protein production. Therapeutic use of 5-HTP bypasses the conversion of LT into 5-HTP by the enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase, which is the rate-limiting step in the synthesis of serotonin. 5-HTP is well absorbed from an oral dose, with about 70 percent ending up in the bloodstream. It easily crosses the blood-brain barrier and effectively increases central nervous system (CNS) synthesis of serotonin. In the CNS, serotonin levels have been implicated in the regulation of sleep, depression, anxiety, aggression, appetite, temperature, sexual behaviour, and pain sensation. Therapeutic administration of 5-HTP has been shown to be effective in treating a wide variety of conditions, including depression, fibromyalgia, binge eating associated with obesity, chronic headaches, and insomnia.
-----------

Effects of oral 5-hydroxy-tryptophan on energy intake and macronutrient selection in non-insulin dependent diabetic patients.

Cangiano C, Laviano A, Del Ben M, Preziosa I, Angelico F, Cascino A, Rossi-Fanelli F.

Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy.

OBJECTIVE: In obese patients, brain serotonergic stimulation via orally administered 5-hydroxy-tryptophan (5-HTP), the precursor of serotonin, causes decreased carbohydrate intake and weight loss. Since diabetes mellitus is associated with depressed brain serotonin, hyperphagia and carbohydrate craving, we hypothesized that in diabetic patients, orally administered 5-HTP stimulates brain serotonergic activity and thus normalizes eating behaviour. To test this hypothesis, we investigated whether in diabetic patients: 1) predicted brain serotonin concentrations are depressed as a result of decreased availability of the precursor, tryptophan; and 2) oral 5-HTP is effective in reducing energy and carbohydrate intake. SUBJECTS AND METHODS: 25 overweight non-insulin dependent diabetic outpatients were enrolled in a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, and randomized to receive either 5-HTP (750 mg/d) or placebo for two consecutive weeks, during which no dietary restriction was prescribed. Energy intake and eating behaviour, as expressed by macronutrient selection, were evaluated using a daily diet diary. Plasma amino acid concentrations and body weight, as well as serum glucose, insulin and glycosylated haemoglobin were assessed. RESULTS: 20 patients (nine from the 5-HTP group and 11 from the Placebo group) completed the study. Brain tryptophan availability in diabetic patients was significantly reduced when compared to a group of healthy controls. Patients receiving 5-HTP significantly decreased their daily energy intake, by reducing carbohydrate and fat intake, and reduced their body weight. CONCLUSIONS: These data confirm the role of the serotonergic system in reducing energy intake, by predominantly inhibiting carbohydrate intake, and suggest that 5-HTP may be safely utilized to improve the compliance to dietary prescriptions in non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.

defcon
10-26-2003, 04:52 AM
hmmmm, interesting.. has anyone ever trieed this stuff?