PDA

View Full Version : Mr. I's Journal

MrIntensity
10-20-2003, 10:55 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have recently found my way into my gym at my college, after nearly two years since the last time I visited it. I have very little experience in lifting as I am a computer engineering major and never really had much intrest in atheletics. A couple of years ago I had a friend who showed me a couple exercizes, but mostly I have just learned from watching people. For the past three weeks I have been doing a routine that I made up that sounded pretty good to me, but I knew it had some flaws. So I did some looking around online and that's how I ended up here.

After a lot of reading articles and forums this weekend, I started the WBB1 routine yesterday. I started with day 3 (legs) due to timing, Wednesday and Thursday are too hectic to make it into the gym.

Goals:
Currently I am 5' 7" 161 lbs. by January 1st (little over 10 weeks) I would like to be 170 lbs (well really I'd like to be 6'1, 200 lbs. but I can't do much about the height). Also I would really like to increase the size of my calves and arms, while decreasing the size of my stomach (I sort have the same phisique as the starving children in ethanopia right after they eat, twig arms and legs with a budda belly :p ).

Diet:
This is going to be the most difficult part for me. I got my "budda belly" from eating junk/fast/bad food, drinking too much (beer and soda), and never making any good food for myself. I am starting today with a much healthier diet that I am really still trying to plan. This morning I had a large bowl of cheerios and milk. After I am done wrting this I am going to make, pasta with tomato sauce and lean ground beef. Tonight I am thinking about salmon, but I'm not sure what with. As you can probalby see I need help with this. While shopping this morning, I also bought eggs, whole wheat bread, peanut butter and the stuff for my first two meals today. Also, I am increasing my water intake and decreasing soda (will eleminate by end of week, but want to minimize caffine withdrawal symptoms). And I did sign up at FitDay.com to help keep track of what I eat.

Questions:

Is it reasonable for me to want to gain 9 pounds in 10 weeks, if I want to decrease my stomach size, but increase size of arms and legs?

Is there any easy way to determine how much I should be lifting for exercizes that I have never done before?

How long should one rep last?

Does anyone have good recipies for meals that support a good diet? I have time to cook for all of my meals.

Other than bannas (I really don't like bannas) what are other good fruits to eat?

Also I really havn't seen much about cardio, I have been running for about 15 min. after each workout (except after my last workout WBB1 leg day), it makes me feel good, when should I be doing this or is there another cardio exercise I should do instead?

Also any suggestions to help me with a proper diet would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mr. I

snow
10-20-2003, 11:04 AM
Hey MrIntensity, good to see you're back in the gym. I'm still somewhat a newbie, but I can try to help answer ?'s...

I think if you eat clean, you can gain pounds, and keep them away from your stomach. Cut down on the beer. If you do get more stomach weight, just bulk up, then eventually cut.

To determine your weights, I'd start low, then work your way up to what you feel comfortable pushing yourself with.

I don't know if a rep should last any amount of time, but just make sure you have good form.

As for my bulking diet, I just eat rice, potatoes, beans, beef, chicken, tuna, cereal, soy milk, ramen noodles, eggs, etc. Cheap, and high in calories. Recipes though, I'm too lazy. :)

I'm sure most fruits would be beneficial for you.

I'm not a fan of cardio, so I'll let someone else answer!

Good luck!

rookiebldr
10-20-2003, 11:11 AM
Good luck on your progress to your goals.

10 weeks will be plenty of time to see some progress and changes. Maybe not all of the ones you want to see but enough to show that you are indeed on the right track.

Depending on how things go, you may not see be able to see a 10lb increase in weight with a reduction in BF, but you have the advantages of youth and a beginner. Both of those will help fuel the gains and progress.

Don't worry about the weight this week on the exercises, go lighter and get the feel for the exercises and the following weeks you get a better handle on what you can lift. Form is important when you are starting out.

It sounds like you're ready to get your diet in check. That's great. Start with the 6 meals a day, reduce the sugars and fat and keep a log of what you eat so you can determine your calories and breakdown. As you change to cleaner foods, you will see a difference just in that and from there you can work towards increasing or decreasing your calories. Use this first week to start to sort things out.

Good luck.

rookiebldr
10-20-2003, 11:13 AM
:nod: to what snow said too.

Mik
10-20-2003, 11:17 AM
Nice to see a new journal here. Good luck with your goals Mr. I. I think being relatively new to lifting you could expect to lose some fat while gaining some muscle. Cardio may inhibit weight gain so I would prolly keep that to 2 or 3 times per week. As suggested by snow start out with low weights and progress from there. Make sure your form is good and don't do the reps so fast you feel like you're throwing the weights. Check out the diet section and the recipes subsection for some ideas. Also reading others' journals may give you some help with your diet. Make sure to get at least 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight and get enough good healthy fats. Try to stick with things like lean beef, chicken, fish, eggs, nuts, pb, rice, potatoes. There's plenty more.

Good luck!

MrIntensity
10-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Wow those were some quick responses. Now onto the eating.

Thanks

Scott S
10-20-2003, 11:44 AM
:spam:

Good luck, Mr I! There are more computer people here than you think. ;)

rookiebldr
10-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Yes, there are a lot of us. :)

Mik
10-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Buncha geeks! :D

rookiebldr
10-20-2003, 12:50 PM
l33t 15 600|). tuttut to you, Mik.

Dedicated
10-20-2003, 03:42 PM
Looking forward to seeing some workouts dude.

MrIntensity
10-21-2003, 03:16 PM
Ok, today I completed day 5 (well my third day since I started on day 3) of the WBB1 workout. Because a lot of these exercizes were new to me I kept the weight down on most of them, as recomended. I've indicated which were the first time for me.

Military Press: 80 lbs. x 2
Seated DB Press: 15 lbs. and 17.5 lbs. (first time)
Lat. Raises: 15 lbs. (first time)
NG Bench Press: 150 lbs. 160 lbs.
French Press: 40 lbs. 30 lbs. (First Time)
BB Curls: 50 lbs. x 2
Hammer Curls: 17.5 lbs (First Time)

The two that I had the most difficult time with were the Lat. Raises and the French Curls. Now that I have the hang of most of them I should really be able to increase the weights for a really good workout. For the French press are there alternatives, I really had a difficult time with this exercize or do I need to just keep working at it?

Today's Weight: 163!! Two pounds since Sunday. Probalby has a lot to do with the new diet.

Diet:
Yesterday:
Meal 1: Bowl of Cheerios w/ 1% milk
Meal 2: Pasta w/ lean beef and tomato sauce
Meal 3: Peanut Butter Sandwhich (no Jelly) on WW bread
Meal 4: Smoked Salmon Sandwhich, w/ lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and mayo on white bread
Meal 5: Protein Bar

Total: 2700 cals 166 grams protein

Today so far:
Meal 1: Bowl of Cheerios w/ 1% milk, 1 poached egg
Meal 2: Pasta w/ lean beef and tomato sauce, only more than yesterday.
Meal 3: Peanut Butter Sandwhich on WW bread.

Oh yeah, I did have one can of Coke yesterday, but have had none today and I took some tylenol to help get rid of the lack of caffine headache.

Well it seems to be going pretty good so far, although stairs have been my worst enemy since leg day. But no major problems yet.

P.S. I knew it would happen, but I didn't think I would be :spam:ed in less than 1 hour.

MrIntensity
10-22-2003, 09:47 AM
Woke up late today, probably needed the extra sleep though. I finished up yesterday at right around 3000 cals and about 161 grams of protein (i before e, except after c?). My arms aren't too sore today, but we'll see what happens next week when I increase the weights.

Well it's just about time to eat again.

MrIntensity
10-22-2003, 08:08 PM
Ok, it's almost the end of day 6 of WBB1, the rest day. Due to sleeping in and a busy afternoon, I didn't split the food up as much as I would have liked.

Meal 1: Cheerio's and Milk (Mmmm Cheerio's)
Meal 2: My Pasta meal (I made much more than I realized, still one more sitting left).
Meal 3: Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Corn, Mac and Cheese, and corn bread from Boston Market.
Meal 4: Penut Butter on WW bread.

Well the Penut Butter sandwhich is still coming, it will give me a break with my homework (ahh more homework to do :mad: ). For a total of 3100 cals, but I missed the protein mark with 140 grams.

Can't wait for Friday to get back into the gym.

Questions:

At Fit Day they say I should keep my % of cals from fat under 30% (today I was at 29%), when bulking how religiously is this followed?

Also keeping on the fat note, where should I be interms of types of fat, for instance today I had 9% Sat., 5% Poly, and 12% Mono.? (I'm a real numbers guy, it helps me keep focused)

As you may have noticed, I was under on my protein and I am thinking about buying a supplement. It looks like most people here use at least one, I would like to use no more than one and an inexpensive one (I'm a poor college student). What should I look for, or any specific suggestions?

You guys have been great helping me out with my questions, thanks a lot. What did people do to learn this stuff before the WBB forums came along?

Mr. I

snow
10-22-2003, 09:16 PM
It is good to keep your % fat around 30%, but for bulking it should be OK to go a little over, as long as you are getting GOOD fats, IMO. I'm not too sure about sat/mono/poly question. If I were you, I would buy a supplement because sometimes it is hard to get the correct amount of protein. I just bought a big container of Whey from GNC (:() and it has lasted me for about 6 months, and it was 46 bucks I believe. I just take it after workouts though.

MrIntensity
10-23-2003, 10:53 AM
Thanks snow, I'll probably go this afternoon to buy a supplement, I think I've noticed that Whey was the cheapest but I didn't know if there was a bad reason for that.

Today is day 7 of WBB1, so more rest but back to the gym tomorrow. No soreness today in arms or legs (yes I was still a little sore yesterday from the leg workout). Ok, got to get some more food and water.

Aaahhh... more homework, and I have to goto work and class. Anyone who didn't have to deal with submitting homework online, you are very lucky. If I'm a second late, it won't take it which really doesn't help when the internet is so slow today.

aka23
10-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by MrIntensity
At Fit Day they say I should keep my % of cals from fat under 30% (today I was at 29%), when bulking how religiously is this followed?

Also keeping on the fat note, where should I be interms of types of fat, for instance today I had 9% Sat., 5% Poly, and 12% Mono.? (I'm a real numbers guy, it helps me keep focused)

In my opinion, the macronutrient ratios make little difference when there is adequate protein (1g per lb is usually more than adequate, in most cases .8g per lb is more than adequate), enough carbs to fuel your workouts and promote anabolism, and enough fats to supply essential fatty acids. There are minor hormonal benefits to keeping fat intake in the 20-40% range, and keeping saturated fat at reasonable levels. Numerous health problems are associated with ahigh intake of trans fats, and to a lesser extend saturated fats. For this reason many health groups suggest limiting total fats to an arbitrary number. Worrying about 29% or 30% would likely do more damage by releasing cortisol than any benefit from the minor change.

As you may have noticed, I was under on my protein and I am thinking about buying a supplement. It looks like most people here use at least one, I would like to use no more than one and an inexpensive one (I'm a poor college student). What should I look for, or any specific suggestions?

If you are trying to cut down expenses and on a meal plan where you can get protein from whole foods at no additional cost, then I do not think protein supplements are needed. Here is some information I posted in my journal:

There is little evidence that protein shakes/supplements are superior to whole foods, except possibly near workouts. Bodybuilders do not need to take in huge amounts of protein to build muscle. After a certain point, the extra protein offeres little benefit. 1g/lb of protein is more than enough for the vast majority of natural, amateur weighlifters. Research suggests a minimum closer to 0.8g/lb. Some related studies are linked below:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9841962&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1400008&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3356636&dopt=Abstract

There may actually be some small hormonal and anabolic benefits to decreasing protein and keeping a high carb/protein ratio during a bulk. Some realted discussions and articles are linked below:

http://forum.avantlabs.com/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=1165
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=12;t=7
http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/incledon/diet-01.htm

Another possible reason for taking protein shakes is their quick absorbtion and digestion. This may be helpful near a workout, but I feel there is little benefit at other times and whole foods can offer nearly the same benefit. Whey type protein shakes may even be inferior to slower more longer acting whole proteins when taken away from the workout.

Below are some related articles/studies and quotes from them:

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/5834/protein.html
"However, new research frowns upon the use of whey protein alone. Because whey is so easily digested, new studies (#7 and #8) have shown that casein may have an advantage over whey. The first study showed that whey takes three hours to digest alone and casein six hours. Even though whey has a better amino acid ratio, the casein makes up for this because it is digested more slowly. Because of the speed at which the whey is digested, some of the aminos donít get used for muscle protein synthesis, but instead they get used for energy. The second study proved that adding carbohydrates to protein only added 5% utilization to the protein. After all this controversy it is difficult to recommend or discourage supplemental protein. ...

For a serious athlete it might be good to ingest some whey or egg hydrolysate protein immediately after a workout because, even if some aminos are used for energy, some muscle repairing aminos will quickly stop the destruction working out has created. However, for the average individual or even a moderate athlete whole foods should supply plenty of adequate protein and negate any need for supplements. Whole foods can also supply extra benefits such as vitamins and minerals. Consumers should remember that supplemental proteins are all taken from whole food sources and that if one eats certain whole foods, the same value protein will be obtained."

http://www.femalemuscle.com/library/weekly/aa101399.htm
". Even in considering post-workout nutrition, there is still little proof that a liquid protein-carb complex will actually produce better muscular growth than whole foods, as long as complete whole food protein foods and complex carbohydrates are consumed immediately after the training session and every three waking hours for a period of 24 hours thereafter. "

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10838463&dopt=Abstract

Xand
10-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Good luck on your new goals. Look forward to seeing your progress.

MrIntensity
10-23-2003, 05:26 PM
Ok, thanks for all of the good information. I did buy some Whey protein mix today, got some help choosing one from the people who worked there. Luckly I was able to use money that I keep on my student ID card to buy it (I'm happy now but when I have to start paying my student loans then I may not be). As of right now I am planning on using it just after my workouts.

Feeling good today, ready for WBB1 day 1 tomorrow. Kept to the same meals of Cheerios, Pasta, and PB Sandwich so far, about to eat again now but still thinking about what I feel like eating.

MrIntensity
10-24-2003, 01:18 PM
Oh yeah, just got done with WBB1 day 1 (chest and back).

Flat Bench: 155lbs, 155lbs
DB Press: 30lbs, 30lbs (first time)
Dips: 140lbs (Machine, still working on getting up to my own weight)
Chin Ups: 150lbs, 140lbs (over head pull down bar)
Deadlifts: 95lbs, 115lbs (First time, was a little intiminated by these from all of the reading I did)
Shrugs: 35lbs (First time)

Diet:
God punishes cheaters. Yes, last night I cheated and went to the local pizzaria and got a steak and cheese sub. Half way through, I swallowed some, but I still had some meat in my mouth. The peice that I swallowed was still attached by a string of fat to meat still up in my mouth. After gagging for a minute I tried just swallowing everything, this did not work as now I had a large chunk of steak lodged in my throat. After struggling to cough it up I eventually had to reach in my mouth and tear the damn steak out with the huge muscles I have built. Oh no that's not the end, when the larger peice got stuck the little peice that started the whole mess went further down my throat. Using the string of fat, I had to carefully pull the peice out. Other than that it was a pretty good sandwich.

Tonight is sort of going to be a cheat too, oh well. I will be on a tour of the Sam Adam's Brewery, and you really can't get the full experience without trying the free beer at the end. Yes, I'm 21 in college and there will be free beer, what would you do?

MrIntensity
10-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Today was leg day. It sucked because I didn't have enough to eat yesterday, and I don't think I waited long enough after I ate this morning. I had to drop my weights way down for the squats and hack squats. I also decided to throw in situps today since it is the least busy of all my gym days.

Weight: 165! Oh yeah. I had to check twice, I couldn't belive my eyes the first time.

Just wanted to give a quick update before I eat and start on the homework I've been putting off all weekend.

snow
10-26-2003, 12:04 PM

Yes, I'm 21 in college and there will be free beer, what would you do?

What I would probably do is have alcohol poisoning. :(

HahnB
10-26-2003, 12:10 PM
Lookin good so far, the whey will really help you get some extra protein, what flavor and brand did you get?

MrIntensity
10-26-2003, 12:33 PM
I got this wildberry flavor from Prolab, it's terrible in water but ok in milk. I was going to try orange juice too, but I don't think it will be very good at all.

MrIntensity
10-28-2003, 12:36 PM
Today was shoulder and arms day of the WBB1 routine. I think I did pretty good today. I got those French Presses nailed today, I started at the 40 lbs that I had trouble with last time, it was too easy had to increase to 50 and went 8 reps for both sets. I increased weights on everything today, although most of them last week were done for the first time by me.

Weight: 165 pushing 166

Diet: Ate great yesterday. Today was good so far, at least for my workout, had a large bowl of cheerios went to class, then went to work out, after had whey protein shake. Now I'm starving got to go get food.

MrIntensity
10-29-2003, 08:07 PM
Two big successes these past two days.

The first is that I had to increase the size of my watch band as it was getting too tight.

And more importantly, I was passing by a fine looking girl, after passing waited the usual three seconds to turn around and get the good full look. Just to find out she was checking me out. I see her around, maybe next time I'll get the digits.

Thanks WBBB!

snow
11-21-2003, 10:53 AM
ur name is revoked, if you were intense u'd be posting still ! ;)