PDA

View Full Version : Barley ... Food From God?

Scorpion
10-20-2003, 02:49 PM
What do you guys think about eating barley as part of bulking ... i need some extra source of protein and carbs, the following info is for 1 cup of barley...

% Daily Value *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Fat 4.23g 7%
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saturated Fat 0.887g 4%
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.04g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.543g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 22.08mg 1%
Potassium 831.68mg 24%
Total Carbs 135.2g 45%
Dietary Fiber 31.83g 127%
Protein 22.96g 46%

Can anybody please give me some info on exactly how much is a cup? Like what volume in ml or something or how much weight maybe or something, im confused slightly by seeing the word "cup" on many sites.

And also ... would it be good to eat 3 cups of barley a day? I need some serious weight as i only weigh 101pounds or so, i know that really sucks lol. Im about 5'7 and i need to get quite a bit taller, im hoping to grow 6ft if i can by eating all the good protein n stuff i need to make me shoot up more.

Any advice on this would be great, barley isn't all too expensive here in UK either so it would be great for people on a budget and vegans who dont eat meat.

Cheers

bradley
10-20-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Scorpion
What do you guys think about eating barley as part of bulking ... i need some extra source of protein and carbs, the following info is for 1 cup of barley...

Barley would be a good addition to your diet, just make sure and count the cals toward your daily calorie intake. Oats are along the same lines as barley which might be another food option for you.

Can anybody please give me some info on exactly how much is a cup? Like what volume in ml or something or how much weight maybe or something, im confused slightly by seeing the word "cup" on many sites.

U.S. Standard To Metric
1 cup ...... 200 ml and 2-15 ml spoons
3/4 cup ...... 175 ml
2/3 cup ...... 150 ml
1/2 cup ...... 100 ml plus 1-15 ml spoon
1/3 cup ...... 75 ml
1/4 cup ...... 60 ml
1 tbsp ...... 15 ml spoon
1 tsp ...... 5 ml spoon
3/4 tsp ...... 3.75 ml spoon
1/2 tsp ...... 2.5 ml spoon
1/4 tsp ...... 1.25 ml spoon

And also ... would it be good to eat 3 cups of barley a day? I need some serious weight as i only weigh 101pounds or so, i know that really sucks lol. Im about 5'7 and i need to get quite a bit taller, im hoping to grow 6ft if i can by eating all the good protein n stuff i need to make me shoot up more.[/b

Sure:)

[b]
Any advice on this would be great, barley isn't all too expensive here in UK either so it would be great for people on a budget and vegans who dont eat meat.

Since you are a vegan it would be beneficial to get your protein from a variety of sources, and also don't forget to take in some healthy fats such as nuts, flaxseed oil, olive oil, etc. I would also recommend a good multi-vitamin as well.

Beelzebubba
10-20-2003, 04:25 PM

Here's a link to a little conversion program:

http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/

Scorpion
10-20-2003, 05:00 PM
Thanks ever so much guys. This is very helpful.

Bradley: I take protein from various sources a day. I eat about 2 cups of Soy Protein, TVP basically.

And i also eat quite alot of Almonds to get some more calories and EFA's. I also eat 2 fried eggs in my day whole and eat atleast 2-4 banana's daily. I have 1 tblespoon of raw honey in the morning too and mum cooks all my food in Olive Oil, i get to eat about 3 tbl spoons of Olive Oil everyday so i can get my EFA's.

Would eating 3 and a half ounzes of Almonds a day be good to get some extra protein and my calories?

Can anybody give me some info on raisons and what they contain? like calories or protein etc? Thanks much for this great info.

bradley
10-20-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Scorpion
And i also eat quite alot of Almonds to get some more calories and EFA's.

The addition of flaxseed oil would be beneficial as far as EFAs are concerned. Olive oil does not contain much as far as EFAs are concerned, but it is an excellent source of monounsaturated fat.

Would eating 3 and a half ounzes of Almonds a day be good to get some extra protein and my calories?

Sounds fine IMO.

Can anybody give me some info on raisons and what they contain? like calories or protein etc? Thanks much for this great info.

The site below should allow you to look up most any food, and is a valuable resource when tracking calories and the macronutrient content of various foods.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

Scorpion
10-20-2003, 05:27 PM
Incase anybody wants a tip: I eat my 3.5 ounzes of almonds grinded. I grind them into a powder like form and just gobble it all down :p

Its alot easier than chewing it, it takes ages for me lol.

Berserker
10-20-2003, 06:03 PM
That sure seems like alot of carbs. But I guess being vegan you get less fats, so that makes up for it?

Spartacus
10-20-2003, 07:59 PM
thats a whole ****load (literally) of fiber. 3 cups x32g per cup = 96 g of fiber :omg:

body
10-21-2003, 02:53 AM
i thought this thread was going to be about using barely to make a alcoholic drinks.

Scorpion
10-21-2003, 06:09 AM
Spartacus: Is that amount of fiber a good thing or a bad thing :-s
lol.

I need to start eating ****loads more i need to bulk up, cant stand being skinny no more.

PizDoff
10-21-2003, 04:45 PM
The site below should allow you to look up most any food, and is a valuable resource when tracking calories and the macronutrient content of various foods.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

Excellent link.....
Thanks for the "nut search"!