PDA

View Full Version : weird question about fat and calories

reloaded
10-20-2003, 03:20 PM
hey yo. i was wondering something today. when talking about diet, the general belief is bodyweight is dependant upon calories taken in during the day. however, this puzzles me. say i go to taco bell and get a bunch of fattening tacos and quesadillas to eat the rest of the day. but i stay around maintenance as far as calories go. now, keeping in mind that the fast food has tons of fat and partially hydrogenated crap, would someone gain weight, even if their calories were at or below maintenance levels? thanks. :D

theomen
10-20-2003, 03:46 PM
no

JeffWillConquer
10-20-2003, 07:56 PM
gaint weight? no. Get health problems? probably. And the macro(micro?)nutrient breakdown would suck.

AlexBBbegginer
10-21-2003, 04:02 AM
All you will gain is a fat gut, heart disease and arteriosclerosis.

Eat clean and make more effort, bodybuilding isnt for corner cutters.

bradley
10-21-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by AlexBBbegginer
All you will gain is a fat gut...

This is not necessarily the case, if you eat at or below maintenance calories as the original post stated.

Relentless
10-21-2003, 05:28 AM
"around maintenance" is the tricky part IMHO

people too often underestimate calories, and eating foods like that "around maintenance" can easily translate to "over maintenance"

reloaded
10-21-2003, 06:31 AM
so how does having a high content of fat in the foods you eat affect your bodyweight then? if its only calories we're talking about that affects body weight, than what part do the other qualities of food play? i dont see it.

bradley
10-21-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by reloaded
so how does having a high content of fat in the foods you eat affect your bodyweight then? if its only calories we're talking about that affects body weight, than what part do the other qualities of food play? i dont see it.

It affects your bw due to the calories that it contains, i.e. if you eat to many calories you will gain weight. Although there are plenty of "healthy" fats that will help you reach your goals, and some of these fats are essential to the body (EFAs). Lumping all fats into one general category will give you the wrong impression of the role fats play. Trying to put fats such as fish oil and olive oil in the same category as trans-fats would not be an accurate comparison, due to the fact that the latter is detrimental to overall health.

Protein is also essential to the body, and is used in many different processes in the body. The most well-known being muscle recovery and repair.

Carbs, although not essential, provide an excellent source of energy, and are protein sparing. If you have ever tried lifting while muscle glycogen stores are depleted you will quickly see the role that carbs can play. Also carbs cause the release of insulin which is anti-catabolic and is beneficial, especially in regards to post workout recovery.

All of the macronutrients play a role, and what I described above is just some general information. You can write books about the role that each macronutrient plays in the body.

reloaded
10-21-2003, 09:29 AM
ok, i think i see what you're saying bradley. overall, calorie numbers affect body weight. but all the other nutritional values in food such as fats, fiber, cholesterol etc play an effect in overall health, not necessarily gaining bodyfat or growth like protein and carbs. thanks bradley. :D