PDA

View Full Version : Bulking phase question

eps
10-20-2003, 05:35 PM
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of my bulking period. I've been eating 3300+ calories per day while doing wbb # 3. Lately I've noticed my stomach is getting bigger while the rest of my body is still the same size.

I've kept a strict diet for months now and I'm wondering if this is to be expected? ... personally I am expecting my body to go proportionately.

Any comments are appreciated :)

Jasonl
10-20-2003, 06:12 PM
while your stomach will get bigger, the rest of your body should as well, how is your diet structured, also, have you increased strenght or done a bf% test? sometimes fat can decrease on other parts of your body while muscle increases, causing it to look as if nothing is happening. stomach fat can be the toughest to get rid of.

eps
10-20-2003, 07:50 PM
I look a little leaner around my arms and shoulders and even my legs.

My strength has made a HUGE increase from the early summer.

I haven't done any cardio though ... I'm avoiding it for now to maximize my gains. (maybe that's a bad idea)

I've never done a bf% test... where or how would I do that? heh

fuzz
10-20-2003, 11:40 PM
Can't really give any specific advice without knowing more...

However, doing some light to medium intensity cardio 3x a week or so can have positive effects on partitioning, not to mention general health benefits. Just keep it to a level where it doesn't interfere with lifting.

Do some searches for bf testing, there should be plenty of posts about that. Try "calipers body fat test" as keywords.

AlexBBbegginer
10-21-2003, 04:07 AM
Im bulking with around 4000 cals per day, im gaining bulk (not sure how much is fat) but my stomach is gaining and 1 pair of my jeans doesnt fit now :O

But other than that ive gained well on my arms chest and thighs, fat is just something you cant really avoid gaining on a bulk, especially if you want to gain lots of muscle in a short period of time (3-4 months) just bulk hard and cut hard when youre done.

kathnmarc
10-21-2003, 05:48 AM
I don't think you should get discouraged. I just now started my first cut and I have my work "cut" out for me. While bulking for a solid year (wow, that sounds like a long time to bulk) I gained 9 inches on my chest, a hundred pounds on my bench press, 3.5 inches on my upper arms, etc., but I also gained damn near 6 inches on my waist and that's not muscle my friend, it's plain old FAT! I hate it, but my other gains were awesome and I couldn't stop bulking. Now it's time to pay and I will get it off and I'll probably lose some muscle while doing it, but when I bulk again, I know to eat much cleaner.....plus my starting muscle mass will be at a much more desirable level this time. It's a roller coaster ride, it seems, but I think if you stick with it and keep reading these forums (there's a lot of smart [and big] guys out here) you'll do just fine. STAY MOTIVATED!

Jasonl
10-21-2003, 05:46 PM
eps, i don't think some cardio(30mins or so) on the days you don't train will hurt your gains.

eps
10-21-2003, 06:26 PM
Jasonl: Hmm, any idea what kind of cardio is ok to do during a bulking period?

Jasonl
10-21-2003, 09:22 PM
20-30 mins on the treadmill is what i do, you could also try HIIT(there's plenty of info on this if you're unsure.

EdgeCrusher
10-21-2003, 09:38 PM
I experienced this when I bulked, and I resolved it by ignoring the fat. That ended up in the fact I have to cut now because I put on about 10-15 pounds of weight, but my strength soared and I put on a lot of muscle. I am still wearing my biggest pair of pants, but as long as you are dedicated your cut, you should be able to get back to your smallest waist size.

Saint Patrick
10-26-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by EdgeCrusher
I experienced this when I bulked, and I resolved it by ignoring the fat. That ended up in the fact I have to cut now because I put on about 10-15 pounds of weight, but my strength soared and I put on a lot of muscle. I am still wearing my biggest pair of pants, but as long as you are dedicated your cut, you should be able to get back to your smallest waist size.

:withstupi

jinxx
10-27-2003, 04:05 AM
How long do you guys bulk and cut for?

And lets say, when finished bulking and starting your cut, your LBM is 100%, then how much LBM would be left after you finish your cut (considdering you eat plenty of protein).

bradley
10-27-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by jinxx
How long do you guys bulk and cut for?

It really comes down to your personal goals, but most people bulk until they reach a certain bf% or weight. You would not want to let your bf% get too high when bulking, since this will lead to a longer cut and an increased probability of losing LBM. Also there will come a point when the ratio of LBM to fat gain will become less than optimal, which would be a good time to start cutting.

And lets say, when finished bulking and starting your cut, your LBM is 100%, then how much LBM would be left after you finish your cut (considdering you eat plenty of protein).

Depends on how well you structure your diet and training. If you you concentrate on losing a small amount of weight each week you should be able to minimize the amount of LBM that is lost when dieting. Although the amount of LBM that you retain while dieting will vary from person to person, and is also dependant on factors such as bf setpoint.

Shao-LiN
10-27-2003, 08:09 AM
Gaining fat on a bulk is expected...and the first place most men, not just you, will gain fat first is around the mid-section. That's just the downfall of a full on bulk.