PDA

View Full Version : cardio session treat same as weights session???

mstar
10-21-2003, 04:51 AM
Ok folks, 2 questions,

i do morning cardio i have carbs+whey (or just whey) 30 mins before i do my cardio. what amount of whey (or whey+carbs) should i aim for roughly? i am about 180pounds

2 question, after my cardio i have some whey and a bit of carbs
THEN 30 mins later oatmeal in skim milk
now, is it best to have this meal straight after my cardio? or wait 30 mins or so then have a whole food meal?

bradley
10-21-2003, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by mstar
i do morning cardio i have carbs+whey (or just whey) 30 mins before i do my cardio. what amount of whey (or whey+carbs) should i aim for roughly? i am about 180pounds

I would just throw in about 20g of whey in water, which should be sufficient, although if you were performing HIIT cardio whey+carbs would be a better choice.

2 question, after my cardio i have some whey and a bit of carbs
THEN 30 mins later oatmeal in skim milk
now, is it best to have this meal straight after my cardio? or wait 30 mins or so then have a whole food meal?

Just drink your shake and then have a whole food meal about 60-90 minutes later. Although if you are performing moderate intensity cardio I really do not see the need for a post workout shake. I would just have the preworkout shake and then after your cardio session have a whole food meal. If you were performing HIIT cardio stick to the pre/post workout shake and follow it up with a whole food meal.

Basically it depends on what type of cardio you are performing, as to what type of pre/post workout nutrition would be best.

mstar
10-21-2003, 06:49 AM
I am doing HIIT so i summerise i should be doing:

30 mins b4 session (carbs + whey)

**** 16-20 mins HIIT ********

post workout (whey shake)

30 mins later a whole food meal (oatmeal in skim milk)

correct?

Aslo bradley, performing HIIT why is it better for carbs to be added as well? :)

thanks for the info again :)

bradley
10-21-2003, 07:39 AM
I am doing HIIT so i summerise i should be doing:

30 mins b4 session (carbs + whey)

**** 16-20 mins HIIT ********

post workout (whey shake)

30 mins later a whole food meal (oatmeal in skim milk)

correct?

Aslo bradley, performing HIIT why is it better for carbs to be added as well? :)

thanks for the info again :)

I would probably go with something like this:

30 minutes pre-workout small amount of carbs+whey

immediately post workout carbs+whey (maybe a few more carbs as compared to preworkout)

Then follow up with a whole food meal about 60-90 minutes later.

HIIT cardio is both anaerobic+aerobic so it would depend more on muscle glycogen as compared to low/moderate intensity. In other words you would be depleting glycogen levels more when performing HIIT cardio as compared to low/moderate intensity, hence the reason for more carbs.

mstar
10-21-2003, 08:42 AM
excellent info for everyone here :D

KingJustin
10-21-2003, 08:46 AM
Bradley, if you have no carbs in store when doing HIIT and you have just taken some Whey, are you going to start burning fat and muscle?

If you do take carbs, what will happen? Will it burn the carbs and just not target fat or what?

What role do fat burners play in this? Thanks.

bradley
10-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Bizatch
Bradley, if you have no carbs in store when doing HIIT and you have just taken some Whey, are you going to start burning fat and muscle?

If you are fully glycogen depleted, then HIIT would not be the ideal form of exercise, due to the fact that you are in a catabolic state. HIIT is a combination of both anaerobic and aerobic activity, which means it will burn both stored glycogen and fat, and if you were to perform HIIT while fully depleted you would increase the risk of muscle catabolism, and your performance would be decreased as well.

If you were to consume whey alone, some of the whey will be burned as immediate fuel, so that would provide you with some immediate energy (protein sparing). In other words, due to whey's rapid digestion/absorption some of the protein would be converted to glucose in the liver, and the glucose could then be used as energy.

If you do take carbs, what will happen? Will it burn the carbs and just not target fat or what?

The idea behind HIIT is not how many calories you burn during the session, but the effect that it has after the session. HIIT is similar to weight training, in that it increases nutrient partitioning and also increases overall metabolic rate.

If you were to take in carbs immediately before training you will be making sure that there are nutrients available to the muscles when they are needed. You can think of it as planning ahead, so to speak. The HIIT will increase nutrient partitioning, so in essence you will be directing the carbs into the muscle cells. While you will not be burning fat at that specific point in time, you will see increased fat burning later in the day.

What role do fat burners play in this? Thanks.

It depends on the substance in question. Yohimbine will help to mobilize fat, which can be beneficial before performing cardio, but you would not want to take yohimbe with carbs, since insulin will block the fat mobilizing effects of yohimbine.

Ephedrine can also be useful, due to the lean tissue sparing effects it can have, as well as providing a pre-workout energy boost.

Caffeine can be combined with either of the two substances above, but you should always increase the doses slowly, so as to judge your tolerance.

KingJustin
10-21-2003, 01:20 PM
Thanks a lot, very helpful.

mstar
10-22-2003, 06:04 AM
Bradley if i wantd to incorporate 2 HIIT session in a day (this is on my off day) following ur suggestions (carbs+whey) it won't impact my muscle tissue? by doing 2 sessions all with a 10 hour gap?

thanks for ur time :)

bradley
10-22-2003, 07:44 AM
Bradley if i wantd to incorporate 2 HIIT session in a day (this is on my off day) following ur suggestions (carbs+whey) it won't impact my muscle tissue? by doing 2 sessions all with a 10 hour gap?

thanks for ur time :)

You could get away with performing 2 HIIT sessions in a day, although I think it would vary from person to person as to whether this would be adviseable (sp?). There are other factors that would come into play, such as your training schedule, etc. that would determine if you were recovered from your previous workout. Obviously you would not want to perform 2 HITT sessions the day before or the day after a leg workout, since this would probably hinder the recovery from the leg workout.

If you are going to incorporate 2 HIIT sessions, I would make them brief sessions and you would be the one who needs to determine if you are allowing enought time for recovery. You do not want the HIIT cardio to have a negative impact on your weight training sessions.