PDA

View Full Version : Why is america so fat?

greekboy80
10-21-2003, 04:07 PM
a great read about nutrition and why america is screwed!

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/283tc.jsp

just makes you say...damn!

gopher
10-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Too much eating, not enough exercising. It's that simple.

MrWebb78
10-21-2003, 04:54 PM
companies are capitalizing on promoting laziness. drive thru's are the first thing that stands out in my mind. people are actually too lazy to walk into and wait 2 minutes for their food, now they have to have the convenience of not even getting off their ass to get it.

drive thru atm's now as well, dont have to even walk the 15 feet to get cash.

drive thru cigarette stores, drive thru pharmacies. and when is the last time you saw a flight of stairs, even two story building only have an elevator now.

ryan1117
10-21-2003, 05:10 PM
1. People think they can throw money at something and get better with minimal effort.
2. There are too many bad diets out there that people are gullible enough to fall for.
3. People think light exercise (such as walking) will make up for a bad diet. (see my McDonalds rant where I calculated the distance a person would have to walk to burn off a Big Mac)
4. People underestimate the power of a good diet. (which I feel is MUCH more helpful than cardio)
5. People are developing a mentality that they don't have control over their physique. (people from Indiana are huge offenders here)

These were off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a lot more that I'm not currently thinking of.

greekboy80
10-21-2003, 05:17 PM
that was just a ploy to get you to read the article.

but good responses! im not sure if its just the lack of fitness and more food. i think it has a lot to do with what is in the food we eat (HFCS, trans fat, etc.).

greekboy80
10-21-2003, 05:18 PM
sorry about posting twice............not sure how i did that:confused:

GonePostal
10-21-2003, 05:22 PM
Portion sizes period. America is implicitly based on preformance values soley. Trying to maximize the expression Output/Input. Where input is $$$ and output is product. More for less is better ALWAYS! it seems. If everyone just at less (even bad food) they wouldn't be as fat.

reloaded
10-21-2003, 06:40 PM
i have found also in indiana (where im from) and elsewhere people take no initiative to better themselves by giving the excuse "God made me this way" or something else really stupid. no offense to all followers out there, as I am one myself, but people were provided a brain to help themselves out. i mean, c'mon. enough of the lame excuses peeps! you wanna be fat, fine go ahead. but while you scarf down 3000 calories at a time from Big Macs, I'll be secretly laughing at all of you! thanks for the motivation to not be like you! :D

Scott S
10-21-2003, 07:20 PM
Michael Pollan is a cool writer. That is all.

Spartacus
10-21-2003, 08:17 PM
people don't enjoy food for taste, they just shove a bunch in their mouth. consider people in europe or japan. there is more ceremony with meals, people sit around and talk, and thus eat smaller portions.

Max-Mex
10-21-2003, 08:45 PM
I read an article that said America is fatter, but in Britain, they have more heart attacks. I found that pretty interesting. I thought the US would be leading in that as well.

Max-Mex
10-21-2003, 08:54 PM
If you haven't read it, Fast Food Nation is another good read.

Shao-LiN
10-23-2003, 03:32 PM
Well, my personal experience...I ate a lot and was too lazy to exercise. I'm pretty sure it's the same in most places. You've probably watched those TV shows where people "go bigger" on their McDonald's value meal, but get a diet soda thinking it helps...that's the American mentality...

People are stupid, what can yah say, hehe.

AlexBBbegginer
10-23-2003, 04:35 PM
lol MrWebb, i work in retail and in my dept store we have to have elevators and escalators as part of disabled shopping access.
It would be discrimination to not offer such facilities.

I agree everyone is getting lazy tho, except us!

PitVicious
10-23-2003, 05:07 PM
I can give a few good reasons why america is so damn gluttonous and we have a bunch of fat rolled jelly belly triple cheeseburger looking fat rolled people in this country! McDonalds, Taco bell, Wendy's, Arby's, Burger king, Rally's, and depression. lazy fat phucks who don't give a sh*t whether they live or die because they have fat grams clogging up their brains and veins that pump grease.

Saint Patrick
10-23-2003, 10:12 PM
We Live in an instant-gratification society. Losing weight and getting in shape takes time and effort, which most people lack.

JuniorMint6669
10-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
You've probably watched those TV shows where people "go bigger" on their McDonald's value meal, but get a diet soda thinking it helps...

Why the hell does everyone say this? It really gets to me. They say it like getting a diet soda doesn't help. What am I missing here? 20oz regular soda = 250 calories. 44oz regular soda = 550 calories. Free refills = ??? calories. You are trying to tell me diet soda doesnt help? Please.

Obviously supersizing doesnt help. But diet soda does.

America is lazy and hungry, that's our problem. That was my problem, and yes, diet soda was my savior.

ryan1117
10-23-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by JuniorMint6669

Why the hell does everyone say this? It really gets to me. They say it like getting a diet soda doesn't help. What am I missing here? 20oz regular soda = 250 calories. 44oz regular soda = 550 calories. Free refills = ??? calories. You are trying to tell me diet soda doesnt help? Please.

America is lazy and hungry, that's our problem. That was my problem, and yes, diet soda was my savior.
DIIIINNNNNNGGGG!

I've been drinking:
4 cans per day
which equals ~800 calories per day
which equals ~5600 calories per week
which equals~25200 calories per month
which equals~1.6 pounds per week
which equals~7.2 pounds per month

I'd have to be a total moron to drink regular with how I drink it. I also can't believe all the people that complain about how hard it is to lose weight when they drink a bunch of regular sodas per day. Switching to diet is one of the smallest yet most useful sacrifices you can do.

jinxx
10-24-2003, 02:34 AM
I just drink water instead.

(and milk offcourse)

hemants
10-24-2003, 08:03 AM
Soft drinks, big serving sizes at fast food joints, not enough exercise.

SuperFlex
10-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Max-Mex
I read an article that said America is fatter, but in Britain, they have more heart attacks. I found that pretty interesting. I thought the US would be leading in that as well.

It could be because of a higher percentage of smokers.

Esperantistino
10-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Portion size and too many carbs.

Even mucho cardio can't offset the enormous intake of carbs, esp. those in fluid drinks, like soda and milk shakes or sugary lattes/cappucinos.

I lost weight when I was cycling lotsa Ks, but packed on kilograms at a frightening rate after stopping because of slowed metabolism.

Finally, I'm getting things under control now by means of low-carb diet and weight lifting.
I also believed nothing would help, but these 2 things DO help and you don't even need to do an enormous amt of both cardio and weight lifting.
Controlling food intake gets a LOT harder once you let yourself go on carbs and/or carbs with fat.. (i'm feeling ill today so I advanced the cheatday one day.. man I feel lousier after all that carbs than without them... but... it's amazing, I've put in my mouth nearly 2000 kcals just within a few hours! That's junkfood my dearest...

Eating clean & low-carb food takes a lot more time to digest and provides less calories...

Espi

Shao-LiN
10-24-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by JuniorMint6669

I saw no real benefit in diet soda. It tastes like crap to me and doesn't compare to the real thing, so I'd rather drink water. I agree, it saves some extra calories from getting a regular soda, but if you delve deeper...people think they can binge even more because they're drinking diet soda. I've had friends who thought soda was the problem, but it was them sitting on their ass all day and eating like they exercised for hours.

Severed Ties
10-24-2003, 06:57 PM
I think it's because we have the tastiest food.:rolleyes:

ST

JuniorMint6669
10-24-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN

I saw no real benefit in diet soda. It tastes like crap to me and doesn't compare to the real thing, so I'd rather drink water. I agree, it saves some extra calories from getting a regular soda, but if you delve deeper...people think they can binge even more because they're drinking diet soda. I've had friends who thought soda was the problem, but it was them sitting on their ass all day and eating like they exercised for hours.

People can binge more if they drint diet soda or water. It really is that simple. I was a 2liter bottle a day drinker. 800 calories a day. Thats freaking 24000 calories a month. Thats almost 7 pounds. I am serious. Regular soda is the freaking devil. I was not gaining 7 pounds per month. That means if I were to cut out all those calories, I could binge more often and maintain weight, binge less often and lose weight.

Im not picking on you shao, but when people poke fun at people who order diet soda with their supersize, saying it doesnt help. It mearly discourages those who are making an effort to cut back on calories.

If they listen to people like you about it not helping, they wont bother, then they will get the super size with regular soda, because why bother if it doesnt help.

Another one of america's problems, bad advise and/or lack of information.

Shao-LiN
10-24-2003, 08:35 PM
Like I said, it's the mentality that goes along with it. In your case, the most extreme where people are drinking liters of it a day, it definately does help a lot. What I'm saying is, and this was my mentality in high school, was that if I cut the soda out I could fill myself with as much junk as I wanted when I shouldn't be eating that crap in the first place.

I'm not saying don't get that diet soda...I'm saying don't super size it just cus you're getting diet soda.

reloaded
10-25-2003, 12:31 AM
:withstupi:

BCC
10-25-2003, 01:09 AM
It's food content, High Fructose Corn Syrup is the devil, and it's in EVERYTHING these days!

body
10-25-2003, 04:20 AM
in the uK it is slightly different to the USA.

in the Uk people are eating less than they did in the 1950's. but are still getting fatter as they are more lazy on average.