PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my diet

doorman930
10-23-2003, 11:12 AM
I am 5'11", weight about 168, 25 years old, and about 15% bf. I have never had a fast metabolism. I have always had a small gut and have recently lost about 10-15lbs. For the past 4 weeks I have been lifting about 30minutes five days a week and doing cardio for about 35minutes in the morning six days a week. The past two weeks I have dramatically changed my diet. I am concerned about the times I am eating protein. Below is roughly the protein I eat each day during the week:

5:00 AM
Cardio 35min elliptical (about 530 calories burned)

6:00 AM
Protein shake and oatmeal or cereal
about 26g protein total

9:00 AM
Yogurt
7g protein

11:00AM
Tuna
30g protein

3:30 PM Granola bar
2g protein

6:00 PM
Lift

7:00PM
double protein shake
44g protein

8:30PM
Dinner
20-40g protein

10:00 PM
Cottage cheese and protein shake
25g protein

Am I eating too much protein late in the day? All together I am eating about 2000-2200 calories a day. I am not trying to get huge, but I am hoping to build a moderate about of muscle along with getting rid of my gut. How does this diet look??

Thanks for any help

HobbesAB
10-23-2003, 11:27 AM
The protein is about right assuming 30 at dinner based on the 1g/lb body weight guideline. I would bump it up a bit more though considering how often you lift and do cardio.

You don't list everything but I would add in some more fat based on what you've listed.

Also, don't worry about the time of day. It won't really matter.

TheGimp
10-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Welcome to WBB.

Lifting five days a week sounds like you are probably overtraining. Check out the WBB routines at http://www.wannabebig.com for a better split.

Cardio on an empty stomach in the morning is not a great idea, there have been some recent threads on this. You should probably have a protein shake before it.

Also you mention building muscle and getting rid of your gut. To clarify it is very difficult to do both (although it does happen with beginners). You should concentrate on one goal, cutting or bulking, at a time.

Is this everything you eat or just the protein sources? If so you could do with adding some EFAs to your diet by supplementing with fish oil. As far as the other choices go, is that yoghurt low/no fat? Also add some veggies they will help fill you up. A good choice would be broccoli as this is high in protein (well for a vegetable!)

doorman930
10-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the help. THEGIMP, to answer some of your questions, I eat more food than shown above, those are just my major sources of protein. As far as lifting five days a week, I am doing one muscle group per day. M - Legs, T - Chest, W - Back, Th - Arms, F - Shoulders.

To really gain some muscle am I going to have to just bite the bullet and gain some fat at the same time, and worry about getting rid of the gut later?

HobbesAB
10-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Yes, to gain some serious muscle you'll have to bulk. While cutting it is hard to gain muscle while following a restricted calorie diet. As far as your split, you may want to do something more similar to the WBB routines THEGIMP mentioned. You'll be able to properly rest and grow. Of course, if its working for you then who am I to tell you to change? Let your body tell you.

Saint Patrick
10-23-2003, 11:48 PM
I started lifting w/ about the same stats as you.

I'd say bulk and gain some more mass before you start cutting. Don't be afraid to gain back some of that pudge, you can lose it when you cut.

I forget who it was, but someone on here said you must have enough clay before you start sculpting, or something like that.