PDA

View Full Version : Protien question

greekboy80
10-23-2003, 04:18 PM
i work nights at a gym. so, i bring a protien shake to add the extra protien that i need for the day. i eat before i come to work around 4:30 then i get off at 10:00.

my question is if i were to bring a protien shake to work with me would it benifit me, or do i need to eat something with it? i was'nt sure if it would digest to fast and be turned into glucose? so, should i eat with it or not?

TheGimp
10-23-2003, 04:40 PM
If it's whey then yes it will digest too fast. You could mix it with milk to offset this but I think you'd be better off with whole food anyway like a sandwich

bradley
10-23-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by greekboy80
my question is if i were to bring a protien shake to work with me would it benifit me, or do i need to eat something with it? i was'nt sure if it would digest to fast and be turned into glucose? so, should i eat with it or not?

Some will be converted to glucose, but studies have shown that ingesting whey will keep amino acid levels above baseline for ~3 hours as compared to ~7 hours for casein.

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/94/26/14930

You could always use a protein blend, or just consume a small amount of carbs and/or fat to slow the digestion.

mstar
10-24-2003, 02:07 AM
what about taking a small shake with ur sandwichs? to bring the protien req? i mean as a drink with the sandwiches

bradley
10-24-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by mstar
what about taking a small shake with ur sandwichs? to bring the protien req? i mean as a drink with the sandwiches

Sure that would work fine, but I think the original question was in regards to a protein shake only. Whole food would be a good choice though.:)

mstar
10-24-2003, 03:59 AM
i hear ya bradley, but those people who think its difficult having a office job do what i do...as a emergency i keep a tub in my drawer and when i have my sandwiches i put it in my shaker bottle and BOOM! a shake at work WHEN i need it :D no excuses
(people think i am weird having a large tub and shaking a bottle like mad BUT WHAT DO THEY KNOW! i am getting results :D

PizDoff
10-24-2003, 04:56 PM
*Laughing at mental picture!*