PDA

View Full Version : You count protein from carb sources?

Shao-LiN
10-24-2003, 09:36 PM
I'm just curious. I've seen some people who do and some people who don't...I'm currently on a UD2 type diet, and on my carb load day, I tend to exceed my expected protein allotment for the day through my pasta/bagels/etc. alone.

bradley
10-25-2003, 03:50 AM
There really is no such thing as incomplete and complete proteins as most all proteins do contain all of the essential AAs, but some proteins are limited by their content of certain AAs. This is the where the term limiting AA comes from. If you are consuming a variety of proteins this should not be an issue, and therefore if you want an accurate measure of your protein intake you should count all the protein that you consume, including proteins from vegetables, grains, etc.

hngacurv
10-25-2003, 03:55 AM
I wouldn't count them unless dieting for a show.

bradley
10-25-2003, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by hngacurv
I wouldn't count them unless dieting for a show.

The amino acids found in plants are still "useful," so if you want an accurate count of how much protein you are taking in each day they should be counted toward your daily protein intake. As long as you are eating a variety of foods, the issue of limiting AAs should not be a concern.

Saint Patrick
10-28-2003, 12:13 PM
I count all protein no matter where it comes from.

Berserker
10-28-2003, 07:04 PM
I don't count it, I figure it as bonus or safety margin. I strive for all my protein from animal sources, so an extra I get from plants makes up for what I missed or is just extra, which doesn't hurt.

I kind of agree unless your on a strict diet I wouldn't worry about it. Anything else I wouldn't cut it so close to the line to worry about it.

Esperantistino
10-29-2003, 01:02 AM
Legumes like beans are really very good protein sources... I'm planning to have quite a number of cheat meals (no more CKD) with them as I try to avoid most grains except rice.
Last weekend's black bean and pumpkin soup was terrific!

BTW, it was:
http://www.americanbean.org/Information/Recipe%20Book/Recipes/Soups%20Stews/Black%20Bean%20Pumpkin%20Soup.htm

Who needs a cookbook with all this info on the Internet?

Espi from the NLs