PDA

View Full Version : Is it....

the rock
10-25-2003, 02:22 AM
Is it possible in any way to lose love handles on a bulk?

Saint Patrick
10-25-2003, 02:55 AM
Not naturally.

reloaded
10-25-2003, 07:44 AM
:bang: dang it

aka23
10-25-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by the rock

It depends on many factors. Two key ones are your training history and your body fat. Gaining muscle while losing fat is relatively common among untrained and overweight persons. Some studies which found this effect are listed below.

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/DietExStudy.html
http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WTCalLBWStudy.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3337037&dopt=Abstract

You can find studies where subjects gained muscle and lost fat with strength training alone, strength training + cardio, or cardio alone (usually HIIT type). In such studies the subjects are almost always overweight or untrained, usually both.

As a person becomes more trained, it becomes more difficult to gain muscle, and gaining muscle usually requires a postive calorie balance. Similarly the body likes to maintain a certain body fat set point. As body fat decreases, it becomes increasingly difficult to continue to lose fat, and gaining muscle while losing fat becomes more difficult.

This body fat set point can be manipulated in several ways including improving training (weightlifting, doing cardio), dietary changes, and supplementation. Certain types of exercises have more effect than others. A trained/lean person may be able to gain muscle and lose fat by eating near maintenence calories and using such methods, but at some point they will also reach a plateau where further changes are not possible. For example, prior to my injury, I gained about 15 lbs muscle while losing about 0.5lb fat. I started out both trained and lean. Most of my fat loss occured towards the start. After I reached a certain bf, fat loss slowed down to the point that it was insignificant.

Generally it is more efficient to focus on one activity or the other - gaining muscle or losing fat. You can minimize the amount of fat gained or muscle lost by eating near calorie maintenance (such that you gain/lose under 1lb per week), and by doing a combination of weightlifting and cardio.

harryhoudini66
10-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Yeah, use some Ab-Solved Ultra while you bulk. I have read of many people maintaing their waist size while bulking.

defcon
10-25-2003, 02:09 PM
it prolly is possible i mainttain your amount of fat.. and only let it get a little higher.. if you clean bulk, and know really close to how many cals you need to eat in order to gain 0.5 lbs a week.. which could take a full bulking season to figure out.. just either worrie about the love handels now and do a sort of mini cut ( month or 2 months, depends on what you like in the mirror and when it happens ) and then bulk :) IMO.

drew
10-26-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by harryhoudini66
Yeah, use some Ab-Solved Ultra while you bulk. I have read of many people maintaing their waist size while bulking.
I thought AbSolved only works when in caloric defecit. Not true?

bradley
10-26-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by drew

I thought AbSolved only works when in caloric defecit. Not true?

You are thinking about products such as Lipoderm-Y, Ultra, and ODB, which work when in a calorie deficit.

In theory Ab-Solved should help to keep fat gain down when bulking.

Scott S
10-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Just do thousands of side-bends. :D

body
10-27-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by the rock

may do if up to this moment you were a couch potato? (no offense meant by asking this)

but if you have been training for a while, even other sports that put on a some muscle. then it may be much harder to impossible for you to achieve your goal.