PDA

View Full Version : Pine Nuts ... Protein Mania?!?!

Scorpion
10-25-2003, 06:19 AM
I was just looking at some high sources of protein ... i came across Pine Nuts ... About 100g of Pine Nuts contain 31g of Protein! Thats higher than the Amount in Almonds i think.

What do you guys think about this? Would it be good to add this into my daily diet to get my protein? I Somehow cant seem to get 110g of Protein per day. I've not started drinking any protein shakes yet though because i need to bulk up. Do i need to drink my whey protein shakes right now too to bulk up? I weigh a disgusting 101lbs lol.

Also, Sesame seeds contain extraordinary quantities of methionine and tryptophan which are amino acids ... How many handfuls of Sesame seeds should i eat in a day? There dirt cheap in my area.

Picture of pine nuts can be seen here: http://www.deliaonline.com/picturelibrary%5Cjpeg150/pi/pine-nuts.jpg

bradley
10-25-2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Scorpion
I was just looking at some high sources of protein ... i came across Pine Nuts ... About 100g of Pine Nuts contain 31g of Protein! Thats higher than the Amount in Almonds i think.

I would consider pine nuts more of a fat source, and according to the USDA database they only contain ~11g of protein per 100g.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl?pine+nuts

I Somehow cant seem to get 110g of Protein per day. I've not started drinking any protein shakes yet though because i need to bulk up. Do i need to drink my whey protein shakes right now too to bulk up? I weigh a disgusting 101lbs lol.

You can use protein supplements to help get in your daily protein requirements. I would stick to whey pre/post workout, and get the rest of your protein from whole food. If you have trouble getting in enough protein then add in some protein shakes.

Try adding some lean protein sources in your diet, such as eggs/egg whites, lean beef, chicken, fish, turkey, dairy products, etc.

Also, Sesame seeds contain extraordinary quantities of methionine and tryptophan which are amino acids ... How many handfuls of Sesame seeds should i eat in a day? There dirt cheap in my area.

Well all protein contains amino acids, but I see no reason to concentrate on these two specific amino acids. Just get your protein from a variety of sources, and don't worry so much about specific amino acids.

TheGimp
10-25-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Try adding some lean protein sources in your diet, such as eggs/egg whites, lean beef, chicken, fish, turkey, dairy products, etc.

I think he's a vegan. Or maybe just a vegetarian.

Scorpion do you eat any meat substitutes like quorn or tofu?

Scorpion
10-28-2003, 11:08 AM
Gimp: I dont eat quorn, i eat about 2 cups of TVP soy protein a day though.

Im thinking of starting to eat broadbeans now (fava beans) ... 1 Cup of 150gram worth = 39.18 of Protein.

Would this be good to throw into my diet? I could really use this and im willing enough to eat this is well to get my extra protein.

bradley
10-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Scorpion
Im thinking of starting to eat broadbeans now (fava beans) ... 1 Cup of 150gram worth = 39.18 of Protein.

Would this be good to throw into my diet? I could really use this and im willing enough to eat this is well to get my extra protein.

Sure, especially if you need the protein, and beans are also a good source of fiber and low GI carbohydrates