PDA

View Full Version : typical breakfast

reloaded
10-26-2003, 12:48 AM
hey yo. usually every morning for breakfast, i eat something along the lines of scrambled eggs (protein), bacon (fat), and toast (carbs). now i usually have like 6-8 strips of bacon per breakfast. is that actually good for me or will i have to worry about things such as cholesterol build up assuming i keep this breakfast for an extended period of time? thanks all. :D

bradley
10-26-2003, 03:24 AM
There are much better sources of fat other than bacon, such as olive oil, fish oil, etc. From an overall health aspect you would be better off getting your fat from these types of sources.

Bacon contains a high amount of saturated, with ~1/3 of total fat coming in the form of saturated fat. although this would vary depending on the cut/type of bacon in question.

Shao-LiN
10-26-2003, 08:14 AM
If you're using the egg yolk, that has fat in it too.

Esperantistino
10-29-2003, 01:15 AM
Fat isn't bad for you, actually it's better than carbs as these are the building blocks for the body. Saturated fats are useful for building the sex hormones.
But too much is too much.. this is loaded with calories.

Since I read Protein Power Life Plan I stopped scrambling my eggs (or making omelette) but on most days I do them only on one side and cover the surface of the frying pan after a few mins so that the upper side is steamed dry rather than baked. This is to preserve the precious cholesterol from the yolk.

Your body is perfectly capable of producing less cholesterol when your food intake goes up.. I'm eating 2-4 eggs/day on most days. Eggs are a wonderfully versatile and cheap protein source.

Espi

PS: my breakfast is cooking at the moment.. a bit more than usual: 2 fried eggs with 40 g of smoked salmon with 2 spring onion-leeks (??) and a couple of mushrooms. (mostly no veggies, but I missed a cardio-workout). Now I think of it.. cheese would go better with it today... perfect combo. Yeah, saturated.. but good in moderation. (real Dutch cheese of course!)
I've tried to take quark (smooth cottage cheese) with fruit for breakfast but I need something substantial. Now I take that stuff when I come back from a morning workout.
One out of 2 times I take a whey shake before breakfast for fast protein replacement...
Oh yes, and 15 ml of cod liver oil (providing around 3 g of DHA/EPA).

ChampionLifter8
10-29-2003, 05:39 AM
I eat a large bagel and chicken patty every morning

Calories-430
Fats-15
Carbs-60
Protein-26

barbellan
10-29-2003, 08:41 PM
me I eat 8 eggs white + i service of cream of rice made with water + a small cup of black coffee....hummm! it's good!

fender777
10-31-2003, 08:14 AM
My typical breakfast is one cup of high-fiber cereal (such as Optimum Nutrition), which I add some raisins and a dash of cinnamon to. Add some 1% milk to it, and eat.

I also have 1 scrambled egg with some spinach and 2% milk shredded cheese. I also add some sliced mushrooms or bell pepper to this sometimes, and always top it all off with some hot sauce.

Also a glass of pulpy OJ for that vitamin C content.

musicguy
11-14-2003, 07:30 PM
Typical breakfast for me: 2 boiled eggs or some lean turkey breast, followed by a tablespoon of coconut oil melted into 2-3 cups warm water to which I add 2 tblsp freshly ground flaxseed, some sweetener, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

UNC0808
11-16-2003, 06:53 PM
what about hard boiled eggs? how many to eat in a day and a week. i heard it can cause heart problems in the long run, but i know its a small source for protein.

musicguy
11-16-2003, 08:54 PM
Do some research on saturated fat. It's taken a bad rap over the years, but there seems to be a body of evidence suggesting that refined grains, sugars, and processed carbs in general have been the real bad guys.

Especially for athletes: medium chain fats (such as those found in coconunt oil and butter) are a good energy source.