PDA

View Full Version : Hiit

Stally
10-26-2003, 01:36 AM
Ok .. now Ive read a few long threads regarding HIIT. Im wondering if there are any people out there who have done HIIT and can comment whether or not they have lost more fat than doing a traditional cardio exercise for a longer duration ..

Please can you state the frequency that you do HIIT and how you managed to incorporate it in a traditional split (3 times a week) routine.

Thanks you :)

jinxx
10-26-2003, 08:00 AM
I do it on my off days, 15 secs as hard as I can, 45 secs slowly jogging. Started out with 4-5 mins, and do about 8-9 mins now.

Works for me.

James.uk
10-26-2003, 12:05 PM
I do it on the rower... 1 min average pace then 1 min as fast and hard as I can. I think I have lost some body fat but I haven't really been doing it long enough to significantly notice anything.

I started doing it for 8 mins and I will probably increase it to 10 mins soon. I do it about 3 times a week.

Downunder
10-26-2003, 03:59 PM
what is hiit?

HobbesAB
10-26-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Downunder
what is hiit?

Read this thread:

More Reasons That HIIT Rules (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=23970)

harryhoudini66
10-26-2003, 11:40 PM
I am also interested in some 411 on this. I have been doing 1 hour 4-5 times per week of cardio and will gladly jump to HIIT if someone has actually benefited equally or more by using this method.

I have read the reviews and all the posts on it and just need a little more info on it. If not then I guess I can do a study myself. Currently with weights and cardio, I am averaging 3 pounds per week.

EdgeCrusher
10-26-2003, 11:45 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=37322

trwebb26
10-27-2003, 11:03 AM
I do:
5 min of jogging (~6.0 mph)
1 min of running (~9.0 mph) :redface:
1 min of fast walking (~4.2 mph)
repeat the running/walking parts...
my last walking part I go like 3 min.
Whole workout lasts like 18 min.

I sweat harder and it seems like my heart beats faster for the next few hours (as compared to regular cardio where I settle down right away). I like it and reccomend.

aka23
10-27-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Stally
Ok .. now Ive read a few long threads regarding HIIT. Im wondering if there are any people out there who have done HIIT and can comment whether or not they have lost more fat than doing a traditional cardio exercise for a longer duration ..

In one research study HIIT was found to reduce bf 3x more than a similar length of duration endurance training type cardio (see http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html). However, it is unclear how much of the change was due to the increased RMR after the activity was complete (burned more calories). HIIT increases metabolism more than standard cardio, and exerts a steady state repartitioning effect that helps one lose bf while maintaining weight. Some types of intervals have been shown in research to increase certain aspects of cardiovascular fitness in a dramatic fashion, such as VO2Max. The ideal type of interval program depends on your goals. Short intervals with near max intensity and full recovery tend to be better for partitioning, while incomplete recovery tends to produce more rapid cardiovascular benefits. Different lengths of intervals stress and improve different systems.

HIIT requires glycogen as fuel for portions of the sprints and exerts much of the fat burning benefits after the activity is complete, so in most cases it should not be done on an empty stomach in the morning or other times when glycogen levels are low. If done during these periods there is an increased risk of catabolism. It also presents a much greater overtraining risk than standard cardio. It may interfere with your resistance training gains if it is not adaquately separated from weightraining or other HIIT sessions. I would not recommend doing HIIT on sequential days or near leg day. In beginners or inadaquately trained persons, there is a significant injury risk.

Lower intensity cardio burns more fat during the activity and exerts more of a fat mobilization effect during the activity. This would be better suited for early in the morning or low carb type diets. There is less of a risk of overtraining, so it can be done more frequently. There is also a lower injury risk, especially for beginners or untrained persons. Higher intensity endurance work accomplishes much of the same benefits of HIIT type training. Endurance type training also presents several important health and cardiovascular benefits that are not accomplished by HIIT type training. In my opinion, the ideal program includes both types.

Some comparisons can be found on the following pages http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:gp5VxLko8igJ:ageless-athletes.com/cur_faq.shtml+gxp+tabata&hl=en&ie=UTF-8 , http://www.cbass.com/Tabata_GXP.htm

Originally posted by Stally
Please can you state the frequency that you do HIIT and how you managed to incorporate it in a traditional split (3 times a week) routine.

In recent weeks, I have been working my legs as follows:
Day 1: HIIT, max effort (>95% MHR)
Day 2: Cycling, active recovery, low intensity
Day 3: Low Volume Leg Day (3 working sets of squats and 1 working set of lunges) & Cycling, medium intensity
Day 4: Running Medium -> High Intensity followed by Elliptical Trainer Intervals (similar to HIIT, but rarely more than 90% MHR)
Day 5: Cycling, active recovery, low intensity
Day 6: Elliptical Trainer, Random Setting
Day 7: High Volume Leg Day
Day 8: Cycling Intervals (similar to HIIT, but much lower intensity)
Repeat

More detailed information about my HIIT and other workouts is in my journal.

Originally posted by EdgeCrusher
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=37322
This thread seems to discuss HIT -- High-Intensity Training, not HIIT -- High-Intensity Interval Training

EdgeCrusher
10-27-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by aka23

This thread seems to discuss HIT -- High-Intensity Training, not HIIT -- High-Intensity Interval Training [/B]

Oops - wasn't paying attention closely enough.

harryhoudini66
10-27-2003, 04:55 PM
I did HIIT today for 10 minutes and felt like I was going to throw up or have a heart attack. It is much less time wise, but feels like much more intensity wise.