PDA

View Full Version : The best cutting diet? keto,cyclical keto, or balanced low gi meals

Newby81
10-26-2003, 12:16 PM
ok,, so 2 weeks ago i decided to go on a clean bulk,, went fine 1st 2 days and then hell ,, tomm i plan on starting cutting again..
now when i started my bulk i was 200pds, 8-9% bf , abs were all out,,, now im 215-220 , abs dont show anymore( unless i squeeze , still they are not that visible because of that damn layer chillin right above them ).
my goal as of right now is to get myself back to abs mode , with retaining ALL the muscle i have. i seriously do not want to lose any,, and will do anything to not lose any!!!!!!!and start a clean bulk again
******i have tried keto( atkins way 2years ago ) lost muscle & fat
******i have tried CKD( with a a 2 day refeed), lets just say i hated it because of the weight fluctuation ,,, but im pondering a 8-12 hour refeed ??? any info on this???
******what i use nowadays is 50/25/25 ( low gi carbs all day( oats, sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, veggies) which works great while giving optimal energy but seems to take a little longer then any keto diet although i do not lose muscle ... but i figured i might not want to use this diet because this is my all around year diet and it might be benificial to change
what do you guys think ,,, the cut will probably last only 2-3 weeks ..
ALSO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT TKD ???? ANY MUSCLE LOSS , HOWS THE ENERGY ???
all ideas appreciated
thanx

harryhoudini66
10-26-2003, 01:46 PM
Try Ultimate Diet 2.0

Shao-LiN
10-26-2003, 01:55 PM
Whichever one you can stick to...

jinxx
10-26-2003, 02:47 PM
I can stick to any, seriously.

Shao-LiN
10-26-2003, 03:38 PM
Then do one until it stops workin, then make adjustments. =)

Anyway, CKD was good for me...I'm currently on my 2nd cycle of UD2 and I find it pretty easy to stick to...any diet that has a big carb up to look forward to is aok in my book, hehe.

bradley
10-26-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Newby81
ok,, so 2 weeks ago i decided to go on a clean bulk,, went fine 1st 2 days and then hell ,, tomm i plan on starting cutting again..
now when i started my bulk i was 200pds, 8-9% bf , abs were all out,,, now im 215-220 , abs dont show anymore( unless i squeeze , still they are not that visible because of that damn layer chillin right above them ).

I am sure that some of the weight that you gained can be attributed to glycogen and water, and you are also probably experiencing some water retention from the increased calorie intake. Instead of stopping the bulk, have you considered reducing calories a bit? I would imagine some of the water retention would subside as well.

my goal as of right now is to get myself back to abs mode , with retaining ALL the muscle i have. i seriously do not want to lose any,, and will do anything to not lose any!!!!!!!and start a clean bulk again
******i have tried keto( atkins way 2years ago ) lost muscle & fat
******i have tried CKD( with a a 2 day refeed), lets just say i hated it because of the weight fluctuation ,,, but im pondering a 8-12 hour refeed ??? any info on this???
******what i use nowadays is 50/25/25 ( low gi carbs all day( oats, sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, veggies) which works great while giving optimal energy but seems to take a little longer then any keto diet although i do not lose muscle ... but i figured i might not want to use this diet because this is my all around year diet and it might be benificial to change

If you see the best results following a balanced diet, then I would stick with that approach. I would also recommend incorporating periodic refeeds as well, so as to keep metabolic rate up (i.e. leptin levels elevated). Cyclical diets seem to offer the best results as far as consistent weight loss is concerned, as well as retaining LBM when in a calorie deficit.

what do you guys think ,,, the cut will probably last only 2-3 weeks ..
ALSO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT TKD ???? ANY MUSCLE LOSS , HOWS THE ENERGY ???
all ideas appreciated
thanx

A TKD would work, but again I do not think it is going to be significantly better than a CKD or a balanced diet. It basically comes down to what you prefer and what you are able to stick with. If you were to go with a TKD, refeeds would still be beneficial IMO.

As mentioned by other members, Lyle's Ultimate Diet 2.0 is a cyclical diet that many people have been seeing good results with. Might be worth looking into if you are looking for something different.

Newby81
10-26-2003, 11:34 PM
thanx for the replies;
Bradely
....a periodic refeed on a balanced diet , hmmmm , sounds interesting,every when and how long a duration would you refeed ? how many excess calories ???
....About CKD i figured i could cut the refeed down to 8 -12 hours of nonstop carbing up ,
im thinking id have a light weight( yet intense ) depletion workout sunday morning ,,carb up after that with high GI carbs for half the day and low GI carbs the other half
Monday and tuesday would be the heavy workouts,,which i hate the idea of having to adjust my training routine to my eating pattern,, but hey!!!!
do you have a good raining routine while on ckd ,, what does it consist of and what days???
thanx

Shao-LiN
10-26-2003, 11:53 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=45
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=34

bradley
10-27-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Newby81

....a periodic refeed on a balanced diet , hmmmm , sounds interesting,every when and how long a duration would you refeed ? how many excess calories ???

The article below should help answer your questions regarding refeeding, but if you have any other questions just post them.:)

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/mof/library/articles/article18.htm

....About CKD i figured i could cut the refeed down to 8 -12 hours of nonstop carbing up ,
im thinking id have a light weight( yet intense ) depletion workout sunday morning ,,carb up after that with high GI carbs for half the day and low GI carbs the other half

You could probably perform a one day carb up, just make sure that you take in enough carbs over the course of the day. The first six hours after the depletion workout will be the time when you can store the most carbs.

Although if you are at ~10% bodyfat, the addition of a small refeed during the week would probably be a good idea, especially if you are cutting cals low during the hypocaloric days. This would depend on other factors as well such as bf setpoint, overall feeling (i.e. lethargy/hunger), etc.

Monday and tuesday would be the heavy workouts,,which i hate the idea of having to adjust my training routine to my eating pattern,, but hey!!!!

do you have a good raining routine while on ckd ,, what does it consist of and what days???
thanx

In your case I would try something like this if following a CKD

Saturday Morning-depletion workout; begin carb up
Sunday-low carb; rest
Monday- low carb; upper body
Tuesday- low cab
Wednesday- refeed after lower body workout
Thursday- low carb; cardio
Friday- low carb; cardio

Newby81
10-27-2003, 09:25 AM
great read
i think im going to stick with the balanced diet , and refeed every 3-4 days and see how that works
personally id rather go with ckd, but im at work all day everyday for 10 hours and i know my refeed will be garbage, theres no way i can eat 500-700 carbs in front of the employees
maybe unless i pound 3 of those massive xl drinks that have 1500 calories( 220 carbs per serving) but that would be dissappointing considering my carb up should be somewhat fun
but thanx for your input anyways on it

Shao-LiN
10-27-2003, 11:59 AM
Just haul lots of donuts, bagels and pasta with you =).