PDA

View Full Version : macronutrient breakdown?

reloaded
10-27-2003, 03:39 PM
hey yo. what's the skinny with macronutrient breakdown? let's say i go to taco bell and eat just a bunch of crap all day for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and in between. if i stay under maintenance calories i wont gain weight, even if i eat a bunch of crap. but all the junk in the taco bell food, or fast food for that matter like fat, cholesterol, trans fat, etc. are bad for me. i've heard that macronutrient breakdown would be terrible. exactly what is this, and what's up with having a good breakdown vs. a bad breakdown when im eating food? thanks :D

bradley
10-27-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by reloaded
hey yo. what's the skinny with macronutrient breakdown? let's say i go to taco bell and eat just a bunch of crap all day for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and in between. if i stay under maintenance calories i wont gain weight, even if i eat a bunch of crap. but all the junk in the taco bell food, or fast food for that matter like fat, cholesterol, trans fat, etc. are bad for me. i've heard that macronutrient breakdown would be terrible. exactly what is this, and what's up with having a good breakdown vs. a bad breakdown when im eating food? thanks :D

Well if you were to eat Taco Bell for breakfast, lunch, and dinner you would probably not be taking in adequate amount of healthy fats, although as long as you stayed under maintenance cals you would lose weight. As you mentioned taking in large amounts of saturated fats, trans fats, preservatives, etc. would not be beneficial for overall health.

The macronutrient breakdown is the amount of protein, carbs, and fat that you take in over the course of the day. I think it is beneficial to time your macro. intake, according to your activity level. For example, post workout you want to take in carbs+protein since this is what your body needs at that particular point in time. The rest of the day would depend on your goals and also body type (ecto/meso/endo). If you are an ecto, i.e. "hardgainer," you would be better served with a higher carb intake with moderate protein and fat, since ectos tend to have better insulin sensitivity as compared to endos.

Basically, if you attempt to adjust your macronutrient intake, you might make a difference as to the amount of fat you lose or gain when bulking or cutting.

reloaded
10-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Basically, if you attempt to adjust your macronutrient intake, you might make a difference as to the amount of fat you lose or gain when bulking or cutting.

so...basically what you're saying bradley with that ^^ is that depending on if the breakdown is good or not, a 'clean' diet would optimize the bulk or cut, as opposed to the junk food? :D

Stryc-9
10-27-2003, 07:23 PM
Not only that - but since "crap" foods are generally very high in calories - you wouldn't be able to eat very much of it and stay under maintenance (hence you would be hungry later on and tempted to eat more). Basically, cleaner foods give you more bang for your buck (i.e., they have a better nutrient profile, and you can eat more).

bradley
10-28-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by reloaded

so...basically what you're saying bradley with that ^^ is that depending on if the breakdown is good or not, a 'clean' diet would optimize the bulk or cut, as opposed to the junk food? :D

Yes, and you should also keep in mind the lack of vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc. when comparing fast food/junk food to "clean foods."