PDA

View Full Version : Protein shake vs a hamburger for weight gain.

Coleman
10-27-2003, 10:40 PM
Weight gain protein powder is basically protein, carbs and fat correct? Wouldn't a fast food hamburger minus all the sauces do just as well and taste a lot better?

Shao-LiN
10-27-2003, 10:54 PM
Weight gain powder is more or less loads of dextrose with some whey protein. There is little to no fat from what I can recall. A fast food hamburger would have loads of saturated and trans fats if I'm not mistaken, mostly from the grease and crap it's cooked in.

reloaded
10-27-2003, 10:58 PM
:withstupi

hamburgers have the extra junk in them compared to protein powder which is a clean source of protein without all the fat and grease. however, protein powder shouldnt be used to replace real food. it should be used to supplement your protein/calorie intake. if you eat hamburgers, take advantage of lean hamburger you buy at the store, not fast food. :D

Spartacus
10-27-2003, 11:03 PM
if its made with lean beef, and whole wheat bun, and depending on toppings, the hamburger would be better because it would provide vitamins etc.

Shao-LiN
10-27-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Spartacus
if its made with lean beef, and whole wheat bun, and depending on toppings, the hamburger would be better because it would provide vitamins etc.

a fast food hamburger

As far as for general diet needs, yes, whole foods would be a much better choice throughout the day. One reason would be the vitamins and minerals...another reason would be, in my opinion (could be different for people), whole food is much more filling than a weight gainer.

I, personally, stay away from weight gainer unless I'm going to use it pre or post workout because of the high sugar content it contains. Other than pre/post workout, you'd want to ingest low GI carbs.

bradley
10-28-2003, 02:18 AM

I would have to disagree, due to the slow digestion/absorption rate of the hamburger, as compared to a shake. Even though fat would be less with the lean burger, it still takes more time to digest whole food protein.

Spartacus
10-28-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by bradley

I would have to disagree, due to the slow digestion/absorption rate of the hamburger, as compared to a shake. Even though fat would be less with the lean burger, it still takes more time to digest whole food protein.

true, although i'm not sure he was talking about post-workout.

Saint Patrick
10-28-2003, 12:07 PM
:burger:

bradley
10-28-2003, 01:28 PM

true, although i'm not sure he was talking about post-workout.

My apologies, I thought the question was in regards to post workout. In that case I agree with your above post, and if you can get all of your daily calories from whole food, then that would work fine, with the exception of pre/post workout.:)

PizDoff
10-28-2003, 06:17 PM
It depends if the hamburger was made with more love...

ChampionLifter8
10-28-2003, 07:10 PM
how about a veggie burger those things are prett nutricious. If you going to eat any kind of hamburger have those healthy little treats.

bradley
10-29-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by ChampionLifter8
how about a veggie burger those things are prett nutricious. If you going to eat any kind of hamburger have those healthy little treats.

A veggie burger would be fine, but a hamburger made with lean gound beef would be just as good.