PDA

View Full Version : The Road back to 200: Here comes the pain!

barrelofmonkeys
10-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Hello all and welcome to my journal, Most of you if any probally don't know me, so let me give you some backround info on myself.

I am 23 years old I am 6'2 and I currently weight 335lbs my lightest weight I have ever been at was about 240.00 and that was during my freshman year of high school. I started lifting weights when I was 14 and have used them on and off ever since. I have always been a strong guy but I have never taken my diet seriously. I have always eaten tons of fast food. Growing up in a family that is full of addictions towards: drugs, and alchohol. I always wondered why I was never addicted to neither. But now I understand that junk food is my addiction and it is an addiction that is just as disgusting.

But within the last month and a half I have been slowly removing fast food out of my diet, and I have been cooking my own food such as: Chicken Breast,Lean cuts of beef, ground turkey, broccoli,potatoes...etc. And i have already lost about 8 lbs.

Now as for my strengh program. I am currently using the "HUGE" program from flex, which for the first 4 weeks has me working every major muscle using coumound movments 3 times a week, my 3 time are Mon,Wed, and Fri. I lift moderate weight heavy light enough to do 4x15. I am in the final week, and then I will move on to a normal program, but that is neither here nor there so I will put that program down next week.

As for cardio, I have yet to really do any!!!.. :( But I will also be adding cardio to my program on Tue,Thur, and Sat. with Sun being a full rest day.

Now my goal is to get back down into the 200 territory and to leave the 300's FOREVER!!! in my journal I will be entering all of my meals includig carb,fat,calorie, and protein amounts, along with a weekly weigh in that will take place every Friday. I hope all who read this can give me whatever pointers they feel nessacery. Contructive critism is key and I am open for all.

Thanks!

Omar

aka23
10-28-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by barrelofmonkeys
. Contructive critism is key and I am open for all.

4 sets per exercise may be excessive on a 3x per week full body program. Flex magazine has a reputation for this type of high volume program. A similar 3x per week full body program designed to increase size is HST (Hypertrophy-specific Training). You can read more about the principles involed in this program at www.hsnhst.com

Good luck with your goals.

ChampionLifter8
10-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Good luck man losing weight. I lost 30 pounds over a few years back and it came from a lot of hard work with diet and TONS of cardio. I ran everyday for 7 months straight. Then after i lost weight i was weak as hell so now im lifting. Just make sure u keep lifting while u are losing weight cause you dont want to lose all your strengh. Good luck man

barrelofmonkeys
10-28-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by ChampionLifter8
Good luck man losing weight. I lost 30 pounds over a few years back and it came from a lot of hard work with diet and TONS of cardio. I ran everyday for 7 months straight. Then after i lost weight i was weak as hell so now im lifting. Just make sure u keep lifting while u are losing weight cause you dont want to lose all your strengh. Good luck man

thanks for the tip. I was actually reading about HST a week into my program, I decided to stay with the Flex program for the simple fact that I need to build consitency, The 4 week program with fex is just the introductory stage if you have not been to the gym for a while. It is re-introducing my muscles to weight lifting, after the "First 4 weeks" I got to a 3month training course wich only consist of 3 sets.

John0101
10-28-2003, 05:35 PM
:spam:

Good luck with your goals, so your trying to lose weight? Why so much volume in your workouts and no cardio? :scratch:

barrelofmonkeys
10-28-2003, 05:59 PM
Well I just started back in the Gym, so I wanted to get some weight training in before I started with the cardio, for the fact that I want to keep my strengh while I drop the major poundage, but Believe me you will be seeing a major boost in cardio by next week.

barrelofmonkeys
10-29-2003, 04:26 PM
Ahh another beautiful day in California. GODDAMN fires are hurting alot of people. I live about 50 miles away from the areas of which the fires are effecting but every morning my truck and all the other cars on my block are covered in whit ash.

Well it is 3:30 pm pacific time and I am eating my first meal of the day, I am having myself a roasted chkn breast sandwich from Subway dbl meat with lettuce and Tomato. I unfortunatly slept my day away I did not wake until 12:30 pm. I usually wake up at 8am but I have been fighting a fairly nasty cold so I figured I would rest so that I may partake in a nice workout in the gym today.

I will be updating a little later on.

Saint Patrick
10-29-2003, 04:49 PM
I hit a max deadlift when I was sick. Just fight through it.

Alke
10-29-2003, 05:04 PM
good luck with your goals:thumbup: :thumbup: diet is the strongest link in the chain, and it is also the hardest link to build. sounds like you have a great start in that you were able to kick the fast food habit!!!

what you said about consistency is very true, and your journal will will help with that to a great degree. I would be interested to see what your routine looks like in more detail, cause I agree with aka about sets per BP being high, and if your just getting back into lifting, you could be doing a bit much.

oh and welcome to journal land!

:spam:

barrelofmonkeys
10-29-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Saint Patrick
I hit a max deadlift when I was sick. Just fight through it.

I feel ya man, I actually tough it out most of the time. But I was feeling really bad this time around. Not sure if it is because of the fires or what, But tonight will be my calling and I will conquer ;)

HahnB
10-29-2003, 06:23 PM
Good luck on the weight loss, I'm lookin foward to seeing your progress:)

Saint Patrick
10-31-2003, 01:01 AM
BTW awesome avatar.

Coke
10-31-2003, 07:03 PM
:withstupi ...I agree the avatar is unique dude!

sorry to hear about what is going on out there, be cool bro - :)

barrelofmonkeys
11-03-2003, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the love guys.

Anyhoo

After almost a weeks absence I am back in full force with pretty good updates.

In the immortal words of Ice Cube "Today was a good day!!"

Ahh the benefits of eating clean .

Todays Meals where not as many as I should have eaten but I still ate none the less.

Meal 1: 1 Cup Wheat Chex with 2% milk
1 Slice Whole Wheat Toast

Meal 2: Turkey Sammich 10 Slices on 2 slices whole wheat
1 Protein Shake 25g's
1 Apple

Meal 3: 1 Can Albacore Tuna
1 bag of EAS pirahna Snack chip

Meal 4 (pre-Workout) 50g Protein Shake
1/2 cup of cottage cheese

Post Work out: 25g's Protein shake with 5g's Creatine and 5 g's Glutamine

Meal 5: 8 oz Top Serloin with Side Salad.

SO as you can see my meals where a bit on the :boring: side. But I did get my belly full!!!!

Todays gym visit was very fresh and fun but very painful at the same time ( good pain of course) today was LEG DAY!

Started out like I always do 10 min low intensity on the life cycle. And then two ab workouts

Abs

Lying Leg Raise 2x 20
Seated Crunches 2x 20

Calves

Standing Raises 5x15

Hamstrings

Lying Leg Curls 5x 15

Quads

Leg Extension 4x 15
BB Squats 3x10
Leg Press 5x15

Sorry I did not label the weight amount. But I will definatly do that tommorrow.

Now I know some of you if not all of you may think those are to high of reps. Well.................................... They are. But I am trying to hold on to a program and actually FINISH IT!!! that seems to always be my downfall. Start something and never finish, well not this time.... I will survive and defeat all obstacle ;)

So Now for the Climax...... The WEEKLEY WEIGHT IN!!!. I know... I said every Friday, But seeing as this is my journal I am moving it to Monday! :D Drumroll please........................................................................And the weight of Omar on Monday Nov, 03 is 326lbs.

So tommorrow I will return with more updates and hopefully be getting more food into my system. until then I say

PEACE!