PDA

View Full Version : Calorie in --> Calorie out



Black Ice 72
10-28-2003, 04:32 PM
Hey,

I have been beating myself up recently trying to cut. I have hit that ever-so-familiar brick wall where cutting gets very hard. Anyway, I decided to change my diet.

While contriving a 'plan', I was thinking of it in a very simple-sounding way. What if I simply eat what I want, but count every calorie I eat? Then, work off more calories than I consumed. Seems like simple logic, but there is most likely a nutritional flaw.

Feedback/Suggestions?

ps: I'm not talking about "whatever I want" as in oreos and crappy snacks. I'm talking about breads, pastas, more fruits... the carbs that I have been restricting myself lately.

Thanks,
Alec

bradley
10-28-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Black Ice 72
I have been beating myself up recently trying to cut. I have hit that ever-so-familiar brick wall where cutting gets very hard. Anyway, I decided to change my diet.

What is your current bf%? How long have you been dieting? What you are referring to above could be signs that you need to refeed.



While contriving a 'plan', I was thinking of it in a very simple-sounding way. What if I simply eat what I want, but count every calorie I eat? Then, work off more calories than I consumed. Seems like simple logic, but there is most likely a nutritional flaw.

Feedback/Suggestions?

ps: I'm not talking about "whatever I want" as in oreos and crappy snacks. I'm talking about breads, pastas, more fruits... the carbs that I have been restricting myself lately.


Sure that will work fine, assuming you are taking in adequate protein and EFAs, and I would take in the majority of your carbs in the meals consumed close to your training session. Although in the end energy balance will be the main determining factor as to whether or not you gain weight.

JeffWillConquer
10-28-2003, 04:43 PM
I believe in the end the macronutrient breakdown isn't important to losing weight or not. So eating what you want should be fine, as long as it has some nutritional value. Try to keep getting all of your protein though.

donescobar2000
10-28-2003, 04:47 PM
How much cals are you consuming? You should be cutting carbs in order to resort to fat for energy.

Black Ice 72
10-28-2003, 04:59 PM
I eat VERY healthy as is. I have a majority of protein in my diet nad my carb intake is about 90g per day.

Originally posted by bradley

What is your current bf%? How long have you been dieting? What you are referring to above could be signs that you need to refeed.


I am at 17% bf and I've been dieting seriously for about 4 months now. I tried refeeding for a while and it was somewhat successful, but I wasn't seeing very significant results.

bradley
10-28-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Black Ice 72
I am at 17% bf and I've been dieting seriously for about 4 months now. I tried refeeding for a while and it was somewhat successful, but I wasn't seeing very significant results.

You might think about taking a week off of dieting and eat at maintenance calories, which would help to "reset" your metabolism, or incorporate a weekly refeed to help keep metabolic rate up (i.e. leptin levels).

Black Ice 72
10-28-2003, 05:05 PM
I have been trying to do this, but I feel too guilty about eating this much. It has become a lifestyle. I'll try refeeding for a week, then intensifying my workout and diet the following week. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the input,
Alec

bradley
10-28-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Black Ice 72
I have been trying to do this, but I feel too guilty about eating this much. It has become a lifestyle. I'll try refeeding for a week, then intensifying my workout and diet the following week. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the input,
Alec

I am not necessarily saying that you need to refeed for a week, but rather just increase your calories by ~200-300 (or until you get to your maintenance level) over the course of a week or two. Basically just add in another small meal, or increase the portion sizes of your current meals. I am not saying turn the maintenance week into a "mini-bulk" so to speak.:)

Refeeding implies eating large amounts of carbs while keeping protein at ~1g per lb. of bw and fat to a minimum.

as0l0
10-29-2003, 04:15 AM
another way of looking at it is to just eat what you like for a week, don't even count it...during that week set yourself out a new 8 or 12 week program...a program that starts moderate (cal deficit and training) and builds up a little each week.

then repeat the process.