PDA

View Full Version : Food and Sleep

Tryska
10-29-2003, 07:51 AM
i don't know if this happens to anyone else, but I have noticed that if I eat a large meal prior to going to sleep, it is much easier for me to wake up in the morning. I'm bright-eyed and bushy-tailed and rarin' to go. If i eat a light meal, then it take sme hours to get out of bed.

i'm not sure if it's because of the heavy meal at night, or if it's cumulative calorie intake for the day.

does anyone have any input?

bradley
10-29-2003, 08:53 AM
What is the composition of the meal? If the meal contains a higher amount of carbs then it could be related to an increased amount of tryptophan entering the brain. Just a guess.:)

Tryska
10-29-2003, 09:06 AM
well last night's was high in carbs and i woke up perky at 5am. the night before i came in late and basically drank some gatorade and brewer's yeast before going to sleep - i could barely slog out of bed at 7am. i may have to keep a food/sleep jouirnal for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

IronDaddy
10-29-2003, 09:08 AM
I can relate but I always have feelings of guilt for eating anything but protein at bedtime. I'd definitely be interested in your journal.

Tryska
10-29-2003, 09:21 AM
hmmm...maybe i'll convert my latest journal to a strict food/sleep blog for the next few days.

keep in mind i'm not training and i'm eating whatever the heck i want at the moment, so it's not gonna be spectacular.

matte rof fact maybe i'll make it extra junky to see how foods affect me - last nights dinner was super junky so we'll see.

PizDoff
10-29-2003, 09:24 AM
"brewer's yeast"

:D

wth, i ate a lot of carbs last night before going to bed
and i wish i was still in it......

but then again i've been overtraining and not getting enough sleep lately....... :(

Scott S
10-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Maybe it's higher glycogen levels in the morning? If I wake up really hungry, it's hard to motivate myself to do anything.

chops
10-29-2003, 11:18 AM
i find the opposite to be true. bigger meals in the evening help me sleep longer.