PDA

View Full Version : Is dextrose a must?



carpediemguy
10-29-2003, 12:44 PM
If yes, why?

I usually take my protein shake with a banana .....

Saint Patrick
10-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Banana's contain fructose, and you really don't want that post workout. If you refuse to use dextrose for some odd reason, You'd be better off eating white bread or some other high GI food.

Dextrose is way cheap, why not use it?

TheGimp
10-29-2003, 01:44 PM
The sugar in a banana is about half glucose and half fructose. The point of dextrose is to replace muscle glycogen, but fructose preferentially refills liver glycogen instead.

Everything I know I learnt from bradley.

APE.
10-29-2003, 01:45 PM
I've been wondering this myself.Since my blood sugar spikes into the 400/500's when I take in any simple sugar; I'm forced to give myself an extra Insulin {Humulin R} shot a day.Lately I've been taking the whey alone.Am I still getting the needed protein or is it going to waste?

bradley
10-29-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by APE.
I've been wondering this myself.Since my blood sugar spikes into the 400/500's when I take in any simple sugar; I'm forced to give myself an extra Insulin {Humulin R} shot a day.Lately I've been taking the whey alone.Am I still getting the needed protein or is it going to waste?

You are still getting some amino acids from the whey, so it is not going to waste, although you would convert more to glucose, as compared to consuming whey+carbs.

You can use lower GI carbs with your post workout shake, which would work just fine, but they just will not refill muscle glycogen as fast as dextrose. Just make sure that you are taking in enough carbs post workout, and not so much about the type of carb consumed.

bradley
10-29-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by TheGimp
The sugar in a banana is about half glucose and half fructose.

The amount of glucose and fructose contained in a banana can vary, since a more ripe banana will contain more simple sugars, hence the reason that ripe bananas are sweeter than green ones.:)

If I had to pick a fruit to consume post workout, a banana would be my first choice. You could also use other whole foods such as white rice, bagels, white bread, etc. in place of dextrose.

theomen
10-29-2003, 05:26 PM
your blood glucose level hits 500? Damn, when working as an EMT we've had people need hospitalization at 500-600.

greekboy80
10-29-2003, 05:26 PM
is gatorade powder alright? i know its not optimal, but its better than everything but dex or malto...right?

APE.
10-29-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by theomen
your blood glucose level hits 500? Damn, when working as an EMT we've had people need hospitalization at 500-600.

I don't really feel terrible when it hits that high.Just kinda flushed.
It's been higher before also.My lil' home monitor has just said "HI".:confused: so I don't know what it is when it hits that{just above 500 I know}.I just go in and get my levels checked.

bradley
10-29-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by greekboy80
is gatorade powder alright? i know its not optimal, but its better than everything but dex or malto...right?

Sure it will work, but it would be helpful to know the amount of sucrose that the product contains, since it is the first ingredient listed. I have not been able to find this information listed anywhere.

You could also use other whole foods, such as the ones I mentioned above, or Smarties candy which are primarily dextrose.

greekboy80
10-29-2003, 05:51 PM
gotcha........thanks

AJ_11
10-29-2003, 07:48 PM
I use oats, and I prefer it over any refined suger. I actually prefer to take in lower Gi. I get too many craving from any suger, that is why I would rather eat an apple or throw some berries with my oats. You'll get enough of an insulin response from the whey, the oats just provide you muscles with glucose.

Newby81
10-30-2003, 11:58 PM
thats what i do AJ-11 coz if i take in any dextrose , i start craving sugar , and all goes to hell after that,, oats keeep me sane,, but if you can prevent that from happening go for the dextrose/maltodextrin,, itll refill muscle glycogen much quicker and theres no chance for fat storage while insulin is spiked post workout in some cases up to 4 hours
so go for it

bradley
10-31-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Newby81
theres no chance for fat storage while insulin is spiked post workout in some cases up to 4 hours
so go for it

Do you have any references for the above statement? Thanks in advance.

Shao-LiN
10-31-2003, 10:48 AM
If your sweet tooth has a craving, go buy some of those zero carb jell-o packs. It has like 1 gram of protein and that's about it, hehe.

Andy P
10-31-2003, 04:06 PM
Bannana is a v low gi so its not very good.

Some good suggestions for high gi food to spike insulin are:

Honey, White bread,sweetend cereal (depends on brand) baked potato and my favourite watermelon. Although i have dextose tablets which are quite nice.

bradley
10-31-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Andy P
Bannana is a v low gi so its not very good.

The above statement is not quite accurate, since bananas will vary as far as the GI is concerned. The more ripe a banana is, the higher it will be on the GI, due to the increased amount of simple sugars found in ripe bananas.

I think ripe bananas are a good choice for post workout carbs.



Some good suggestions for high gi food to spike insulin are:

Honey, White bread,sweetend cereal (depends on brand) baked potato and my favourite watermelon. Although i have dextose tablets which are quite nice.

Most of the foods you mentioned above contain a fair amount of fructose when compared to the glucose content, with the exception of white bread.

Stray
10-31-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by bradley


Sure it will work, but it would be helpful to know the amount of sucrose that the product contains, since it is the first ingredient listed. I have not been able to find this information listed anywhere.

You could also use other whole foods, such as the ones I mentioned above, or Smarties candy which are primarily dextrose.

Powdered Powerade has Dextrose listed first....and it was in the bargain bin. So it may be good alternative if you can get it near you.

Smarties are ace also :D