PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil bread dip?

Scott S
10-29-2003, 09:59 PM
You know that dipping oil they make at some Italian resaurants as an appetizer? Does anyone here make their own?

I'm getting into including more olive oil in my diet, and I think that if I could approximate that dipping oil, it'd go great with the WW bread I get.

Thanks!

Relentless
10-30-2003, 09:09 AM
1) take some extra virgin olive oil (fresh cold pressed, the pale green kind, has the best flavour)

2) put salt and pepper in it

3) dip bread in oil

If you want to get fancy, you can easily make some sort of 'infusion' by taking a mason jar and filling it 3/4 full with that same olive oil, then slapping in some spices and things like sundried tomatoes, slivered garlic, maybe some fresh basil sprigs, fresh oregano, etc. let it sit for a day or two before you use it to dip so the essential oils and such from the herbs and veggies can permeate the oil.

Be creative and make differnt flavours of oil each time you refill the mason jar...

defcon
10-30-2003, 10:07 AM
another thing that you may beable to try is add different herbs to it.. i like dill.

Scott S
10-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Mmmmm... thanks for the ideas, guys!

chops
10-31-2003, 10:45 AM
i like dried herbs in it better than fresh. the fresh ones may turn black and give the oil a murky color. if you use fresh and wash them, make sure all the water is off or it will separate. you can add balsamic vinegar, and kosher salt and fresh ground pepper taste better than reg.

TiGeR AK
11-03-2003, 05:24 AM
don't they also add balsamic vinegar to it?

Berserker
11-03-2003, 05:28 PM
Could also add minced garlic.
Diet question-Do you really need to go out of your way to increase your fat intake?

ppowell
11-04-2003, 01:46 PM
There are plenty of dipping herb mixes on the market. One of those little 5 compartment plastic cans. I have one and love it.:newbie:

Tryska
11-04-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by defcon
another thing that you may beable to try is add different herbs to it.. i like dill.

yeah we did this a few month's back with leftover fresh basil and oregano (not together, but separate) and very tiny slivers of garlic.

and then, as callahan said, just pour it in a bowl, crack some pepper and a lit salt, and dip away.

Scott S
11-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Awesome... thanks everyone!

Berserker, my overall fat intake is fine -- I've just been reading a lot of good things about olive oil, and while I *can* take shots of it without retching, I've been looking for more palatable ways to consume it. ;)