PDA

View Full Version : To increase Bone Mass

Maxgain
10-30-2003, 02:11 AM
Im 19 years of age and really need to increas by bone skeletal size. I cant stand seeing my thin frame and i feel it is really affecting my gain process. Lets just say i can fit my hand around my wrist with a noticable amount to spare and my hans arent that big. I feel as i am getting all i need from my diet for growth so dont know what to do.If i supplement with 500mg of calcium 3 times a day will that help? If i take calcium should i take it with magnesium or am i getting enough daily with zma?
Any advice greatly appreciated as this is really bothering me

ChrisH
10-30-2003, 03:42 AM
Mostly genetic I think... Don't worry about having a small frame. Make sure you train your lats and shoulders and eat a lot.
Just to compare, I have a 13" forearm, which isnt exactly massive. I have a 7" wrist however, which makes it look better. Also for some reason I have pretty big hands, I swear its come from the weights (grip stuff).

Basically, forget about it and train!

rippedfool
10-30-2003, 04:48 AM
have the same problem and im trying the same thing your doing
with the calcium. I know its genetic though because my dad, and all his brothers have the same wrist. I friggin hate it though, ive seen grils with bigger wrist than me.

defcon
10-30-2003, 06:15 AM
its all genetics man, you may grow a little bit more since your ownly 19, it would depend on when you hit puberty i think, but there is nothing you can do about it.. pack on the muscle my friend :)

raniali
10-30-2003, 01:35 PM
bone DENSITY (reversing the problem of brittle bones) can be increased through proper diet and exercise. this is why all astronauts are weighed down and required to do aerobic activity each day because bone loss is rapid without gravity.
however, your frame size is genetic. just eat and train and and be grateful for small joints as they make the muscles look bigger.

Esperantistino
10-31-2003, 07:37 AM
Know the problem.. and I don't agree with others that it doesn't matter.
i've visited a chiropracter when I had acute pain because of something weird I did (walking fast backwards with trolley because I couldn't see forwards but thanks to helmet with a mirror). He immediately started nagging at me that I should lose weight because my frame (especially wrist, ankle, knees) is too small to carry a lot of weight.
At the time I was quite obese (35% BF, female) but I'd never want to carry a lot MORE weight even when it would be just muscle. A kg is a kg is a kg for the joints.
Weight training DOES strengthen the bones though.. but especially when you start out with weight training, you SHOULD start with higher reps in order to improve joint and tendon strength. Muscles respond way faster than joints/tendons do, which is why so many people need to go on medication or be treated with PT.
This is also why I love HST, as it incorporates going down from high to low reps in each and every cycle.. still, going eccentric/forced reps for 2 weeks is too much. I'd recommend just 1 week per cycle.

Espi

ChampionLifter8
11-01-2003, 08:06 AM
I have really small hands.... my girlfriends hands are bigger than me :( LOL

Bruise Brubaker
11-01-2003, 12:28 PM
"higher reps in order to improve joint and tendon strength"

There is nothing that prove that higher reps are better for joints and tendons. In fact, highter reps often lead to things like tendonitis and such.

My opinion is that low reps short of faillure is ideal for joints and tendons.