PDA

View Full Version : Best cafeteria foods (college) to lose weight? To gain weight?

EdgeCrusher
10-30-2003, 11:27 PM
List the best food you can find in your university cafeteria that is good for losing weight and good for gaining weight. Most places don't have tuna, grilled chicken, and some of the other things in your journals, so help me out.

Scott S
10-31-2003, 12:22 AM
Hoo-boy! I'm currently cutting on caf food, and it's working, but it kinda sucks having to figure out how many calories are in a scoop of "this" is and how much protein is in x slices of "that." I eat a salad or two during the day with some olive oil and red wine vinegar.

Our caf has a vegetarian options line, which is great for those who are vegetarian/vegan here. Some kind of pasta with non-meat sauce. Usually some rice, potatoes and beans (for getting all the AAs). If your cafeteria doesn't offer soy/rice milk, band together with some other vegans and complain loudly. They'll fix it. ;)

If you've been watching that thread in Recipes, I've been gathering recipes for olive oil bread dip.

The way I see it, on a bulk you can eat more carby stuff, but on a cut, you'll want to prioritize toward protein-rich foods.

Apart from getting your own dorm fridge, that's about all the advice I can offer!

defcon
10-31-2003, 04:41 AM
Bulking - go for the cleaneast carb sources and protein/fat sources you can find, and eat up like a madman :)

Cutting - Smaller carb sources like 1-2 slices whole wheat bread maybe? Some protein ( my university has cottage chees and tuna :) ) and for fats if you need it, drissle a salad with some olive oil..

Its hard to do both of them cean while @ university caf's but it can be done.. you just get strange looks from people when they see you coming with about 500 grams of cottage cheese :)

Spartacus
10-31-2003, 08:26 AM
hmm i'm on cafeteria food so i'll add some suggestions.

whole wheat bread, and dip in olive oil from the salad bar.

milk and cereal, my has severl good cereals.

for cutting i include some tomatoes and broccoli, not very interesting but healthy.

usually there is at least one option with slices of meat, which you can cut the fat off of.

eggs, in different forms such as hardboiled.

fruit, incl. apples, oranges, strawberries, etc.

be sure to ask if you think of something, i know my cafeteria will add just about anything to to teh salad bar as long as it is cheap!