PDA

View Full Version : Eating before bedtime

fender777
10-31-2003, 08:28 AM
Often if I have dinner around 6:30-7p.m., I get hungry again before I go to bed. I was wondering what tips you guys had for eating before bed. Is there anything in particular I should be trying to get as far as high/low carb, high/low fat, etc? Is there any time that is too late to be eating?

For some reason at night my sweet tooth is most active, so if I'm being good I might have some carob covered almonds or maybe a few spoons of ice cream on a cheat night. If I'm being "good" I might go for a handful of mixed nuts or some peanut butter.

Thanks for your tips/advice.

bradley
10-31-2003, 08:32 AM
I think an ideal pre-bedtime meal would consist of a slow digesting protein (cottage cheese, etc.) along with a little fat, which will help further slow the digestion of the meal. You can throw some carbs in as well if you want, and the whole eating carbs before bed will cause fat gain is just propoganda.:) Overall calorie balance at the end of the day will be the determining factor as to whether you lose or gain weight.

Spartacus
10-31-2003, 08:52 AM
could mixing casein with oil or carbs reduce its ability to clot together, thus making it digest quicker?

Spartacus
11-03-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Spartacus
could mixing casein with oil or carbs reduce its ability to clot together, thus making it digest quicker?

bump

bradley
11-04-2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Spartacus

I would not think so, since casein protein will form micelles in the gut which would not be affected by oil or carbohydrates, since they are not involved in this reaction.

The site below has a good illustration of the micelles formed from casein.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~cfford/101Milk.htm