PDA

View Full Version : eating more than necessary (a few of you on here may be doing this)

justrobby
10-31-2003, 10:32 PM
I'm new to the board but I thought I'd put my two cents in on this subject because I get a bit irritated about this when I hear about it. I noticed there still seem to be a few people on this board who are still under that old assumption that in order to grow muscle you must eat a gargantuan amount of calories. I was under this impression before when I started my lifting and have long since found out about this myth. Truth is, through trial and error, I have found that I'm still getting the same steady gains at 2500 calories as I did at 3800. There is absolute NO difference between then and now (i.e. I am still increasing my reps at the same weight and gaining size). The ONLY difference is that now I am getting the best of both worlds: I do not have those pounds of extra fat that I had before, therefore, I won't need to be embarking on an extreme fat-loss program to get cut when I decide I want to. Instead.....I have more muscle at a lower bodyweight.
Extra weight equals extra muscle? No.....in this case I gained muscle and lost pounds of unwanted fat I didn't need. My weight in fat went down more quickly than the pounds of muscle came up.
Hence, overall bodyweight went down as I gained those wanted pounds of muscle and got a more desired "cut look."

SUMMARY:
*I HAVE STAYED PRETTY CUT AND KEPT GAINING SIZE, NOT BECAUSE OF STEROIDS OR SOME KIND OF MAGIC TRICKS BUT BECAUSE I HAVE FOUND MY MAITENANCE LEVEL OF CALORIES.

*MOST PEOPLE ONLY NEED TO EAT 250 TO 500 CALORIES ABOVE THEIR MAITENANCE LEVEL. THERE IS NO SLOWING OF GAINS BY ME EATING 2500 AS OPPOSED TO 3800 CALORIES BECAUSE MY MAITENANCE LEVEL IS SOMEWHERE AROUND 2000 CALORIES. I HAD PREVIOUSLY OVERESTIMATED MY MAITENANCE BECAUSE I REFERRED TO THE FDA GUIDELINES. THESE GUIDELINES ARE VERY ROUGH AND SOME PEOPLE HAVE METABOLISMS THAT ARE EITHER OVER OR UNDER THE GUIDELINES.
MORAL OF STORY: TAKE THE TIME TO FIND YOUR MAITENANCE LEVEL. YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID BECAUSE YOU EITHER A) END UP WASTING A LOT OF FOOD OR B) UNDERNOURISHING YOURSELF AND NOT GETTING RESULTS IF YOU DON'T.

I HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OF YOU WHO WERE JUST LIKE ME AND THOUGHT THEY HAD TO EAT A HOUSE TO PUT ON SIZE. WHY PUT ON EXTRA POUNDS OF USELESS FAT YOU'LL HAVE TO GET RID OF LATER WHEN YOU DON'T NEED TO? SOME OF THOSE GUYS WHO STAYED CUT YEAR ROUND AND GAINED DECENT SIZE MAY VERY WELL HAVE NOT BEEN ON STEROIDS AS YOU HAD PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT.

--->AGAIN, THIS FORMULA IS FAIRLY EASY: STAY FAIRLY CUT AND STILL GAIN SIZE WITHOUT STEROIDS BUT DIET AND LIFTING ALONE. WHY NOT DO THINGS IN THE MOST EFFECTIVE AND EFFICIENT WAY POSSIBLE?

-Just my two cents

reloaded
11-01-2003, 12:49 AM
the general rule of thumb around here is to eat around 500 more calories than maintenence. yes...if you eat some 1000 over maintenence there is a chance of getting hugely fat over the term of the bulk. that is why minimal bulking such as 500 cals over maintenence is used. more mass with minimal body fat gains, assuming you eat clean. :D

defcon
11-01-2003, 08:36 AM
while bulking it is understood that we only need to eat as far over calories so we gain 0.5 lbs a week or so.. i'll be the first to admit that a hell of alot of people over do bulks.. and gain way more fat then nesscary.. but eh.. we can't change what other people do.. just do what you think is best for your body :)