PDA

View Full Version : Good Mornings

ChampionLifter8
11-02-2003, 08:21 AM
Well after starting westside i have been doing me_ deadlift for about a month now and i hear you need to switch up the exercises so your central nervous system doesnt wear out and ur lifts drop. So i want to start doing Good mornings. I head that this exercise is very good for building a good strong back. But i also heard that this can be a dangerous exercise if not performed correctly. Can anyone explain to me some key things i need to remember when doing these and some technique tips.

Hercule
11-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Goodmornings are, IMO, probably THE best back exercise. It will strengthen the entire posterior chain like nothing else. Some things to remember- Keep the knees slightly bent but locked, keep a tight arch, when you are bending over, think of bending the bar over your back to keep the bar from rolling forward on your neck, don't let your back round over(unless you are doing rounded back goodmornings). Make sure to keep your form tight, or you could hurt yourself. I have never hurt myself doing goodmornings.

ChampionLifter8
11-02-2003, 01:21 PM
thanx hercule

synthetic
11-02-2003, 03:01 PM
dont go overboard on weight. i did 365 and heard a crack in my neck and it hurt all week. good i stopped at that point

ChampionLifter8
11-02-2003, 04:50 PM
how far should i bend my back while doing the good mornings??? an wher should i do it incase i fall fowards??

Scott S
11-02-2003, 09:14 PM
I love good-mornings. :D

Some things to think about:

* Keep the weight light enough to maintain good form. I had to use less than 100 lbs for a long time!

* Don't think about leaning over so much as sticking your butt out. It'll help you to keep balance.

* Keep your back perfectly straight if you want to target hamstrings, let it bend (safely!) if you want to target the spinal erectors more.

* Do these in a squat rack with the pins set about at hip level (maybe lower) in case you have to bail.

Hope this helps! :thumbup:

ChampionLifter8
11-03-2003, 02:49 PM
damn guys i tried doing these today and completed failed. i was such a wimp and it was a disaster. I didnt know how far i was suppost to bend over and i was scared of falling over. How far are u suppost to bend your back over. And are u suppost to stick ur but out when u do thse.any help cuz i really want to do these.

Paul Stagg
11-04-2003, 07:17 AM
Do you train with anyone who might be able to show you how to do these?

ChampionLifter8
11-04-2003, 01:23 PM
no but im going to this new gym and i think i get one free session with a trainer so i will ask him.

enerchi
11-04-2003, 01:35 PM
do you bend at the legs where the glutes and hamstrings meet

ChampionLifter8
11-04-2003, 02:01 PM
no some one told me to only slightly bend u knees but i think your suppost to bend them more and stick ur glute out if im correct im not sure??

KingJustin
11-04-2003, 02:29 PM
Videos:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBBentKneeGoodMorning.html

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBGoodMorning.html

Still, I don't understand exactly how to do these without the bar coming across the back of your head on the way down. Do you have to really use your arms to pull the bar back while you're bending over?

Scott S
11-04-2003, 02:53 PM
Try resting the bar lower on your traps. I've never had the bar roll toward my neck, but I suspect that's because I stop the movement when my hips will bend no further. I don't let my back or my knees bend at all during these, so I only make it to about 45-60 degrees.

ChampionLifter8
11-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Bizatch thanx for the vidoes they help a lot

And also just as the problem bizatch had.. when i was doing the good morning the bar was rolling down to my neck i was scared i was going to snap my neck.

Hercule
11-04-2003, 07:17 PM
If you are so scared about falling over, just do it in a squat rack, you fall, the pins catch the weight, no problem. About keeping the bar off your neck- Keep your head up, and look at something right in front of you, I have pretty big traps, so this caused them to bunch up keeping the bar off my neck, like I said earlier, pull DOWN on the bar, as if you wre trying to bend it over your back, this will help keep it in place, try chalk as well. An easy alternative, use a Manta Ray to do them, that will keep it in place. Keep trying.

ChampionLifter8
11-05-2003, 05:44 AM
alright hercule thanks ill try that

unshift
11-05-2003, 04:19 PM
put the bar lower, closer to your shoulderblades than your neck... then hold on to it as you bend. it takes a bit to get used to but once you do its not so bad

GonePostal
11-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Man anyone have flexibilty problems with this exercise? I just started doing them and my flexibilty has gone to hell the past few years.

BigCorey75
11-06-2003, 10:00 PM
they key to good mornings is the hips. keep the knees soft, back tightly arched and bend only at the hips, like he said concentrate on sticking the butt out to help keep balance. the bar should almost move in a straight line up and down , really focus on sticking your butt out and feeling a good pull in the hams and glutes

Budiak
11-11-2003, 02:40 AM
I just did these tonight in my ham workout. I think its the best leg/back/ass/soul movement of all ****ing time.

I do it with my arms outstretched, thumbless grip, pulling the weight down over my back. I find its easier to balance the bar while I'm bending over if I have my arms out with my hands by the plates. Of course I'm a pretty short guy, so my arms are just long enough to where they wont hit the plates.

Bend the knees to about a 25 degree angle and keep them at that position or near it throughout the whole movement. You CAN do straight legged good mornings but I've always gotten a much, much better result and smoother movement from a bent legged position.
Keep the back arched, just like you were to be doing a squat. Breathe into your belly and push the abs out and flex them, make everything tight, bend forward, keep that ass out, and you should feel a crazy stretch in your whole posterior chain. Savor it.
Go back to starting position if you can.

My max good morning was 275x2, and I almost died. Well...kinda almost died. Ok, I was fine. Leave me alone about it.

cathchris2003
12-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Good Mornings can be very dangerous when first starting out. Try using an UNloaded bar until you can get the movement understood.

-Chris