PDA

View Full Version : Protein powder replacement...

carpediemguy
11-03-2003, 05:44 PM
What would be a good source of protein--meal--after one's workout , instead of using the ubiquitous protein powder?

I want to use just real food instead of supplements..

Berserker
11-03-2003, 05:58 PM
Any animal will do. Whey has benefits cause it digest quick. But how much does it really help? Also if you eat before you wo your body should have protein ready to go.

bradley
11-04-2003, 03:00 AM
I would use a protein source that was low in fat, such as egg whites or milk, which would digest faster as compared to chicken or steak.

As Berserker mentioned, total protein intake for the day will be the most important, so make sure and have a meal containing protein before training (~2 hours) and immediately post workout.

carpediemguy
11-04-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by bradley
I would use a protein source that was low in fat, such as egg whites or milk, which would digest faster as compared to chicken or steak.

As Berserker mentioned, total protein intake for the day will be the most important, so make sure and have a meal containing protein before training (~2 hours) and immediately post workout.

WOuld you use eggs and milk post workout instead of chicken or steak? Why?

I am looking for more sugestions as to what kind of meal should I eat post workout instead of that damn protein powder...

Spartacus
11-04-2003, 10:33 AM
since whole food takes longer to digest, you'd probably want to emphasize pre-workout protein

bradley
11-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by carpediemguy

WOuld you use eggs and milk post workout instead of chicken or steak? Why?

It would take longer for chicken or steak to digest, as compared to something like egg whites or milk. Post workout you want to make sure you get aminos into the bloodstream as quickly as possible.

Also don't neglect carbs pre/post workout, as they are beneficial as well as protein.

carpediemguy
11-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by bradley

It would take longer for chicken or steak to digest, as compared to something like egg whites or milk. Post workout you want to make sure you get aminos into the bloodstream as quickly as possible.

Also don't neglect carbs pre/post workout, as they are beneficial as well as protein.

What would be a good preworkout meal? How about a good post workout meal?

I am gonna completely give up to my protein powders, thus i am looking to find some good meal replacemet...

Berserker
11-04-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Spartacus
since whole food takes longer to digest, you'd probably want to emphasize pre-workout protein
I wonder how much it makes a difference. I just started PWO shakes last year.

bradley
11-05-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by carpediemguy

What would be a good preworkout meal? How about a good post workout meal?

I am gonna completely give up to my protein powders, thus i am looking to find some good meal replacemet...

A good preworkout meal would be something that contained low GI carbs (oats, sweet potato, etc.) along with a lean protein source (lean beef, chicken, etc.) consumed ~2 hours before training, and then post workout go with high GI carbs (white bread, bagels, etc) along with a protein source such as egg whites or milk.