PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Progress

harryhoudini66
11-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Two questions- first question is do you guys have tips for increasing deadlifts? I have not been able to get passed 300.

A second question is I have been doing deadlifts for eight weeks. Is 300 pounds respectable in this time frame or am I way behind?

I love deadlifts.

ryan1117
11-03-2003, 06:26 PM
My biggest block has been overtraining. I feel it is a lot easier to overtrain your spinal erectors than you would think. I cut down the volume when I was having trouble last spring, and the weight started going up again. Of course this is just a guess and I'm not saying you are overtraining. My problem was that I was doing Stiff Legged Deadlifts on leg day while doing deadlifts on back day. That was too much for my spinal erectors. (squats were hitting them also).

Here is how things looked for me in my first year:
1st 4 months w/ no SLDLs on leg day(+122 pounds)
Middle 5 months with SLDLs on Leg Day (+0 pounds)
Final 3 months after dropping Stiff Legged Deadlifts (+53 pounds)

As you can see, it definitely wasn't just a coincidence when I made a change.

I also might suggest trying different rep ranges. That has helped me get out of holes I have been stuck in.

Chris Rodgers
11-03-2003, 06:32 PM
What has your sq/dl routine looked like for those 8 weeks? How comfortable are you with your form? How much do you weigh?

I tried to show a 230 lb marshmallow how to pull a few weeks ago and he could barely do 185. My skinny girlfriend has pulled 255. I compete in powerlifting and there are women out there who can outpull me no problem. It all depends on how you look at it.

I think I can make an increase in most "average" lifters deadlift with a few pointers.

Dedicated
11-03-2003, 06:35 PM
I'd say that is good. Your deadlift is better than mine Harry.

I was deadlifting 3x a week with very low to moderate intensity and squatting 3x a week with extremely high intensity. Made great gains for about 3-4 weeks deadlifting but then they stopped, made great gains squatting and those gains didn't stop dunno why. However...I hurt my knee on another exercise(leg extensions) so I had to stop doing both. Few weeks passed, deadlifted today, broke my old personal best. So yea I would definitely say that Ryan is right, really easy to overtrain them.

SquareHead
11-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by LATMAN

I think I can make an increase in most "average" lifters deadlift with a few pointers.

What would those be?

ChampionLifter8
11-03-2003, 06:37 PM
yeah i agree with ryan make sure your not overtraining i was stuck at 250 then i took a week off and come back and i hit 270 immediatly good luck.

Dedicated
11-03-2003, 06:37 PM

Any tips? I've read all the other threads on deadlift form but I'm sure there is alot I don't know. I've never actually "seen" anyone deadlift as I workout at home so I'm sure my form is not so perfect.

Chris Rodgers
11-03-2003, 06:53 PM
It is very tough without being there to actually help you. Also depends on whether you are doing conventional or sumo. Here are a few.

Rule # 1: Conventional- space between you and the bar(1-3" depending on your build/style should be plenty). Sumo- Shins against the bar and turn those knees out. If the bar has any bite to it you better be bleeding on these.

Rule # 2- air goes into the belly and keep it there. Don't let out your air until it's necessary. On a max dead I either lock out the weight then let the air out or just before lockout I let it out slowly! Make sure you aren't going to pass out though.

Rule # 3- pull the bar up and towards your body. Always pull back. If you start the lift by pulling out and over the knees you are just adding weight to the bar by giving yourself poor leverage. Keep it tight to your body and pull back!

Rule #4- Make sure you are not wearing baggy pants or anything that will cause more friction. Use baby powder on your legs for max attempts when allowed.

Rule # 5- Use chalk when possible and always use an over/under grip for the heavy stuff. You can alternate if you want, I always use right over/left under. I'm fine.

Rule #6- Get a good belt and learn how to use it. If I push my abs into my belt hard I can lift more than without a belt. Don't use it as a crutch, use it to lift more when maxing or in competition. Learning how to use it is important though, so practice pulling air into your diaphragm and pushing your abs into your belt.

Rule #7- keep everything tight before pulling. This means glutes, hams, back, abs, everything. Never have your arms bent. They just hold the weight and do not lift. They should be tight from the start and never jerk the weight off the floor. Take the slack out of the bar and pull.

Rule #8- keep your head up through the whole lift. SOme people try to pick their head up more and more through the lift. I like to keep it straight forward. DON'T LOOK DOWN!!!!

Those are in no particular order. Just some quick ones off the top of my head. Again, if I could watch the lifter it would help me a ton to see what is good or bad. If anyone lives on Long Island and would like to train with me sometime, feel free to ask and I'll help you out.

Dedicated
11-03-2003, 07:03 PM
Wow I see 2 things right off the bat that I am doing wrong. Gonna print your reply and take it with me to my next workout. Thanks a ton:).

drew
11-03-2003, 07:47 PM
Wow, I do everything Latman just said. I feel smart. lol

I love deadlifts. My best lift.

Saint Patrick
11-04-2003, 02:14 AM
Awesome post Latman.

harryhoudini66
11-04-2003, 09:44 PM
I am 185 57. I started off good with squats but as I lost weight, I lost strength. Well at least I use that excuse. I started maxed out at 185 and then went down to 135. Yes I know I am lagging big time.

For deadlifts, I am not sure if my form is the best. There have been times when I lift the 300 and it feels super light. Other times it feels so heavy. I am sure that when it felt light, my form was better. I watched like 30 videos of deadlifts being performed but I am still not 100% I am doing them right. Nobody else in the gym does them either so they cannot tell me if I am doing them right.

I do deadlifts on Tuesdays and SLDL deadlifts on Wednesday.

By the way, guys, have any of you felt like fainting when performing them. This is the only exercise that gets me very light headed. I did some today and stopped at 285 because I almost felt like I was going to fall back. Maybe I am dehydrated. I have not been drinking much water as I am supposed to.

Awesome tips LATMAN. I am sure I was keeping my knees out when I was able to lift it fairly easily and in when I had a hard time. Thank you so much.

Dedicated
11-04-2003, 10:37 PM
I have had a fainting feeling once and it was when I was taking an ECA and on a calorie deficit, it was after a set of hard deads. If it's just lightheadedness then I get that sometimes yea, but not often. I always get a huge rush after them, they take alot out of you.

harryhoudini66
11-04-2003, 10:39 PM
Yeah, same here then. I am using ECA and take in about 1400-1600 calories per day.

Thanks man.

Chris Rodgers
11-05-2003, 03:09 PM
I'm sure it would help with your deadlifts and recovery if you ate more than that many calories a day. I weigh ~155 and eat way more than that.

DO not do SLDL the day after deads. I wouldn't even do both styles every week. Maybe do normal deads one week and sldl the next.

ryan1117
11-05-2003, 03:23 PM
...DO not do SLDL the day after deads. I wouldn't even do both styles every week. Maybe do normal deads one week and sldl the next.
:withstupi

harryhoudini66
11-06-2003, 11:27 AM
Awesome dude. I will make the adjustments. I am only taking in that little amount of calories because I am tying to lose fat. I was 250 pounds about six months ago and have a good 20 more to lose. So I guess I am cutting. Once I get down to 170-175 I will change my diet from Keto to balance and will be taking in about 2000-2100 calories per day.

PowerManDL
11-06-2003, 01:24 PM
One thing I've noted about deads is that they don't respond nearly as much to calorie intake as the squat and bench do.

This, just theorizing, is due to the fact that is a mostly neural/technique based lift. That's one reason why people can shoot up so quickly, and stagnate just as easily

My best approach to date, besides working on raw form like Latty noted, is to approach it pretty regularly while doing low-intensity work, and very infrequently when working with high-intensity loads, in a staggered approach. That's the rationale behind the current 8RM/5RM/Maximal cycle I'm doing.

The deadlift, due to its mechanics and the simple fact that you're using such heavy weights relative to other lifts, is *very* easy to neurally stall out, above and beyond the psychological factors....so its good to build a frame of technique, mental confience, and foundational strength using higher reps and progressively higher loads.

Shroud
11-07-2003, 04:01 PM
A few comments of my own.

I think the biggest pointer someone gave me is to remember that the deadlift is a pulling movement and not a pressing one. I always find my results superior when I keep that simple fact firmly in the front of my mind.

300 pounds respectable in this time frame or am I way behind?
I've always found this type of thinking to be an unnecessary obstacle to stick in the way of your own progress. Everyone is at a different stage in their lifting, following a different program and ultimately working towards slightly different goals. Don't let the gains YOU have made be downgraded merely because you aren't lifting 350 or 400 or <insert weight here>.

Have you worked hard to get 300? Yes? Then those are respectable results. There will always be someone who has been lifting longer than you, can lift more than you or has progressed faster than you.

At the worst, think about how many people in the general population could deadlift 300 lbs man.
:whip:

harryhoudini66
11-07-2003, 05:31 PM
Well, I aksed because I have nothing to compare to. Nobody in the gym does deadlifts. I get a bunch of stares when I do them.

Also, I skipped this weeks deadlift on leg day so we will see how it goes next Tuesday.

Max-Mex
11-07-2003, 11:40 PM
Those are stares of awe harry. It means...YOU DA MAN! It also means everyone in your gym is a pussy. :D

drew
11-08-2003, 09:35 AM
Harry, a lot of people just don't do deadlifts. I think only 2 or 3 other guys at my gym do them.

Doesn't matter what you're pulling, just go for progression. 300 is pretty damn good. Soon you'll be seeing a wicked arc in that bar :D

harryhoudini66
11-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys. I have not deadlifted since last Tuesday so we will see tomorrow if dropping them on Wednesday has helped.

harryhoudini66
11-11-2003, 08:04 PM
Well, guys it looks like the advice worked. I was able to go up to 310. I tried 315 and could just barely pick it up. However, I think a 10-pound increase, which did not feel so heavy, is a great advance.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I hope that I will be able to hit three plates on each side by the end of the month.

I may also invest in some straps and belt so I can use some of the other techniques described by LATMAN.

drew
11-12-2003, 06:11 AM
Skip the straps and pick up some chalk :D

-TIM-
11-12-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Max-Mex
Those are stares of awe harry. It means...YOU DA MAN! It also means everyone in your gym is a pussy. :D

I'm with Max. You have to love that feeling. My gym has mirrors on every wall so I can see who's staring at me. I love it. But I always have to check myself before my pulls and tell myself to focus.

Sug
11-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Hey, Ive bein doing dead lift now for 3 consecutive times and I first started at 185( Very hard) about 6 reps, then next week I went to 205 6 reps and then I took a week off. The next time I did a DL was 2 weeks after my 2nd one and I managed 235 6 reps, these all are my heavy sets. Anyways, just lately I have some pain on the right side of my ass. I dunno why this happened but I had the same pain the 2nd time I DL and it only gives a slight sensation of pain when move while sitting down. Has anybody else gotten this or might I some how semi-pulled something?