PDA

View Full Version : High/ low GI carbs

MANSON1
11-04-2003, 10:19 AM
What is the difference between high and low glycemic index carbs. Is it all to do with the rate at which they are digested.
Which type are best to consume when your cutting ?

bradley
11-04-2003, 12:59 PM
The glycemic index is a scale based on the effect that different carbohydrates will have on blood sugar levels. For example high GI carbs will cause a more sharp increase in blood sugar levels, as compared to low GI carbs that will cause a more subtle increase in blood sugar levels.

I would stick to low GI carbs, since they will have a greater effect as far as controlling appetite, but there are other factors to consider outside of the glycemic index. The GI of a food will change in relation to the other foods that are consumed along with it. For example, a high GI carb will cause less of an increase in blood sugar levels when combined with fat and/or protein, since the other macronutrients will slow the rate of gastric emptying. This will in turn cause blood sugar levels to increase at a slower rate, as compared to consuming the high GI carb by itself.

You can read more about the glycemic index at www.glycemicindex.com or www.mendosa.com

MANSON1
11-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Thanks bradley.
So is this why its best to consume low GI carbs during the day (e.g shakes with maltodextrin) and high GI carbs (glucose) straight after your workouts to increase blood sugar levels in the muscles!!!!

bradley
11-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by MANSON1
Thanks bradley.
So is this why its best to consume low GI carbs during the day (e.g shakes with maltodextrin) and high GI carbs (glucose) straight after your workouts to increase blood sugar levels in the muscles!!!!

Maltodextrin would be a high GI carb, as well as glucose, but you are correct since high GI carbs will replenish muscle glycogen faster, as compared to low GI carbs. Also the insulin released will help blunt the effects of cortisol post workout.

MANSON1
11-04-2003, 02:29 PM
I see, so this is why consuming low GI carbs during the day is still needed when on a cutting diet. What ratio of macro-nutrients is needed on a cutting diet. At the moment i am consuming a lot more protein than carbs as when i consume too many carbs i feel lethargic and bulky which is why i want to cut.
However, not sure of which ratiso are best for me.
How can i work this out without loosing muscle mass?

bradley
11-04-2003, 04:07 PM
You need to make sure that you are taking in adequate amounts of protein (~1g per lb. of bw) and essential fatty acids (~25% of daily calories from fat. The rest of your calories can come from carbs, fat or protein, and I would recommend playing around with the amount of carbs and fat in your diet. If carbs leave you feeling lethargic, then just get more of your calories from fat and center the majority of your carbs around your workouts.

In the grand scheme of things macronutrient ratios are not all that important, assuming that you are taking in enough protein and EFAs.

MANSON1
11-05-2003, 02:36 AM
I see. For EFA's i could take some flaxseed oil or i have seen some capsules which contain EPA and DHA which contain the essential omega 3 fatty acids. Would these help as i am not a big fan of eating loads of oily fish constantly!
Any ideas?

bradley
11-05-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by MANSON1
I see. For EFA's i could take some flaxseed oil or i have seen some capsules which contain EPA and DHA which contain the essential omega 3 fatty acids. Would these help as i am not a big fan of eating loads of oily fish constantly!
Any ideas?

Yes, those would be ideal to increase your intake of omega-3s. I would use mostly fish oil, but you can add a tablespoon of flax as well.:)

MANSON1
11-05-2003, 03:26 AM
Thanks bradley

mstar
11-05-2003, 03:58 AM
bradley u must be well cut with ur know how, whats ur stats? u seem to know so much its great u share ur knowledge and experiences with people :)

defcon
11-05-2003, 05:05 AM
i think bradely is a 300lb 50+% bf person cuz he reads so much he dun have time to do anything :)

j/k :P

bradley
11-05-2003, 05:12 AM
I am ~205-210 lbs. @ ~14%, so no I am not cut.:) I am currently dieting though so hopefully I will be able to decrease some of this unnecessary bf.

mstar
11-05-2003, 09:19 AM
bradley NEVER 14% really? wow! shocked :eek: i thought out of most people u be really careful eating :)

well it would be intresting how u decrease ur BF% keep us informed :)