PDA

View Full Version : Raw eggs and hardboiled eggs.

JuniorMint6669
11-05-2003, 12:02 AM
My brother wanted me to ask a few questions about eggs that I couldnt answer myself:

1) Is it safe to keep cracked raw eggs refrigerated in a sealed container?

2) Will hardbolied eggs spoil if left at room temperature? Still in shell, if that makes a difference.

3) A good, low carb, snack is... ?

Shao-LiN
11-05-2003, 12:08 AM
1) I'd guess it is.
2) Depends on how long you plan on leaving it out there...everything spoils after awhile.
3) Tuna, Chicken, Beef Jerky, Mozarella cheeze, etc. etc.

JuniorMint6669
11-05-2003, 12:42 AM
sorry, allow me to be more specific:
1) Would the amount of time they be good be less than if they had been left shelled? My brother wants to crack several ahead of time, and only make a portion of them to save time in the morning.

2)How long are we talking before they spoil? I believe he wants to take them to school with him. I have no idea if they are going to be in his car (hot) or in his locker (room temp).

thetopdog
11-05-2003, 01:10 AM
3) Cottage Cheese, Nuts, Tuna

bradley
11-05-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by JuniorMint6669
sorry, allow me to be more specific:
1) Would the amount of time they be good be less than if they had been left shelled? My brother wants to crack several ahead of time, and only make a portion of them to save time in the morning.

I would not eat cracked eggs, due to the increased risk of salmonella. Either eat the egg, or discard the unused portion.

Cooking the egg thoroughly would more than likely remove any bacteria (salmonella), but why take the chance?

2)How long are we talking before they spoil? I believe he wants to take them to school with him. I have no idea if they are going to be in his car (hot) or in his locker (room temp).

Go ahead and remove them from the shell, and they should be fine for a couple of hours, especially if he keeps them in a cooler of some sort. When I had to pack my breakfast I left boiled eggs in my car for 2-3 hours without any problems, but I did keep them in a cooler.

defcon
11-05-2003, 05:09 AM
:withstupi I have eggs twice a day, breakfast and meal #6.. i boil all my eggs in the morning, eat the ones for breakfast and keep the other ones in the fridge till its time to use them :) Being a college student i simply do not have time to wait for eggs to boil, i do in the morning cuz i go get a shower while they boil :)

JuniorMint6669
11-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the responses. I think he wanted to keep the hardboiled eggs unrefridgerated, but ill just tell him to buy an icepack. And cracking eggs ahead of time was just for convenience, but ill mention the increase risk of salmonella.

bradley
11-06-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by JuniorMint6669
Thanks for the responses. I think he wanted to keep the hardboiled eggs unrefridgerated, but ill just tell him to buy an icepack. And cracking eggs ahead of time was just for convenience, but ill mention the increase risk of salmonella.

You probably would not need an icepack, but an insulated cooler would work just fine.

Just boil up the eggs a couple of days in advance and store them in the fridge. When carrying the eggs to school, the cooler should keep them cool enough until it is time to eat them.

defcon
11-06-2003, 06:07 AM
I can see it now.. boilin like 5doz eggs to do sumone all week :D

JuniorMint6669
11-06-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by defcon
I can see it now.. boilin like 5doz eggs to do sumone all week :D

That is actually what we have been doing (2-3 dozen at a time), between me and my dad. Now that my brother is jumpin in on it, we may have to do the entire 5 dozen costco container. :nod:

defcon
11-06-2003, 01:04 PM
rofl. how big a pot do you use?!?~!

raniali
11-06-2003, 03:15 PM
i don't see the need to refrigerate hardboiled eggs. think about easter -- i remember coloring the eggs, leaving them out on the table and eating them over a few days time. obviously, if you can refrigerate them, do it but i just don't think you will get sick from eating them otherwise.

JuniorMint6669
11-07-2003, 11:32 AM
def: I use a pretty big wok, that holds 10-15 eggs. ill just make 2-3 batches.

raniali: i never ate hardboiled eggs at easter but ill take your word for it. if my bro dies, you'll be hearing from me thiough ;)

defcon
11-07-2003, 12:30 PM
lol, who is bigger? junior or raniali? :P By the looks of it.. i'd be scared if i were raniali ;)

raniali
11-07-2003, 01:33 PM
me, scared? it's evident you have never met me.
;)

Reinier
11-07-2003, 01:53 PM
I boil mine by 2 dozen usually and eat about 9 a day. never had problems. ive had eggs stay in for at least a week and they were fine. then again its probably different when your in a warmer climate

defcon
11-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by raniali
me, scared? it's evident you have never met me.
;)

ROFL.. * backs off.... *

JuniorMint6669
11-07-2003, 10:53 PM
scared of *me*? apparently you have never met me either ;)

defcon
11-08-2003, 04:59 AM
Im gonna shut up on this thread now, im scared of both of you.:hide: