PDA

View Full Version : Easing out of a low-carb diet

CW330
11-05-2003, 03:52 PM
I'm currently following a low carb plan for dieting, but I'm planning to start gaining again next week. Right now, I'm using the NHE diet. I'm carb loading every 3rd and 4th day, basically twice a week.

My question is, what would be the best method to "ease" out of a low carb diet, back to a balanced diet (Will be 40P/40C/20F)? My next carb-load meal will be tomorrow. I'm thinking I should skip tomorrow's carb-load meal, and on monday (another carb load meal day) I begin to introduce carbs into my diet (i.e. 1/2 cup of oats each meal). Does this sound efficient?

I'll appreciate any feedback.

bradley
11-05-2003, 04:04 PM
I would start by adding in carbs pre/post workout and then go from there. It really will not matter that much as long as you keep total calories in check. After incorporating pre/post workout carbs you might want to add in more carbs at other meals, but again you are really just replacing some of the cals from fat/protein with cals from carbs so it really does not matter how you go about it. Just remember to expect an initial weight gain due to glycogen/water weight.

You can play around with the amount of carbs in your diet, since some people prefer more carbs compared to fat or vice versa. Just stick with ~1g of protein per lb. of body weight and at least 25% of calories from fat (mostly healthy sources).

Scott S
11-05-2003, 04:12 PM
I recommend a large chocolate cake. Or two.

CW330
11-05-2003, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I guess I could start taking glucose powder post workout again to start it off. I'm taking 1 Tbsp. of cream and 1 of Extra virgin olive oil post workout with the shake right now (recommended for this diet).

Should I add the carbs post w/o on a carb load day?

And Scott S, I would have to be careful since I don't think I'd be able to stop at only 2 cakes. lol

Scott S
11-05-2003, 04:26 PM
LOL :D

bradley
11-05-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by CW330
Should I add the carbs post w/o on a carb load day?

If you are carb loading I would begin the carb load after training, but once you are eating above maintenance the carb load would be not be neccessary.