PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cons of a high Mono/Poly diet

PeterParker
11-06-2003, 02:26 AM
Bradley, im just woundering about having a high intake of momo/poly fats in my diet, if i was to desribe my diet it would look similar to atkins but with around 200grms of carbs, high in protein high in mono/poly fats.
now i dont suffer from any problems on this diet, lack of energy ect , but im just wondering about long term effects.
cheers GavG

bradley
11-06-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by PeterParker
Bradley, im just woundering about having a high intake of momo/poly fats in my diet, if i was to desribe my diet it would look similar to atkins but with around 200grms of carbs, high in protein high in mono/poly fats.
now i dont suffer from any problems on this diet, lack of energy ect , but im just wondering about long term effects.
cheers GavG

Some studies have shown polyunsaturated fat to have an inverse relationship with testosterone, where as saturated fat will have a positive impact on testosterone levles.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11525593&dopt=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=6538617&dopt=Abstract

I would make sure to try and get a good ratio of omega-6 to omega-3s and then take in most of your fat calories in the form of monounsaturated fats (olive oil would be a good choice). Most people get plenty of omega-6s through their diet, so making sure you take in adequate amounts of omega-3s might require supplementation or you could include more oily fish in your diet. You do need some saturated fat in your diet, but this should be taken care of by the whole foods that you eat.

If you do something similar to what I have outlined above, then I would not worry about experiencing any adverse health effects. A high intake of monounsaturated fats has shown to be beneficial in terms of reduced cardiovascular disease and overall health. Hence the reason the Mediterrean Diet is hyped in the media.

PeterParker
11-06-2003, 03:10 AM
Thankyou for that Bradley, so basicly if i stay as i am the diet will benifit my CV but may slow down any muscle gains due to lack of test in the body

bradley
11-06-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by PeterParker
Thankyou for that Bradley, so basicly if i stay as i am the diet will benifit my CV but may slow down any muscle gains due to lack of test in the body

I doubt that you will see any significant difference, as far as progress in the gym, and a moderate of EPA/DHA (polyunsaturated fat) can have other benefits such as nutrient partitioning, etc. I do not think it is something to be concerned about, assuming you are taking in n-3 fats along with the n-6 fats.

PeterParker
11-06-2003, 03:33 AM
that will do me, thanks again.

Scott S
11-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Am I reading that right; that EPA/DHA has a negative impact on test levels?

****!

bradley
11-08-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Scott S
Am I reading that right; that EPA/DHA has a negative impact on test levels?

Yes, which is why more is not necessarily better when it comes to fish oil, but the benefits of fish oil supplementation would outweight the small impact that fish oil could have on test levels.