PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Needs Help Here PLZ!

P I M P
11-06-2003, 04:05 PM
I am a vegetarian, I am trying to get to 200lbs and currently weigh at 190lbs. I am only 17 years of age and have been training for about 10 months now. I have changed from a 16 year old fat and chubby kid with about 90% body fat into a 190lb man with 15-20% body fat!

I am at the stage where I really want to kick on and build a 200lb body with less than 10% body fat. I was wondering if you guys could help me out and tell me what foods I should be eating? And when I should be eating them.

Height: 5ft 8''
Waist: 34 inches
Weight: 190lbs
Don't know any thing else, get back to you when I do!

Here is what I've got at the moment,
Pasta, Yoghurt, Rice, Vegetables, Meal Replacements and EAS Simple Protein shakes, oh and plenty of milk!

TheGimp
11-06-2003, 04:24 PM
Do you eat meat substitues? I'm talking things like Quorn, tofu, textured soy protein etc.

You should be aiming to eat 1g of protein per lb of body weight. The problem with being a vegetarian is most of our protein sources contain some carbs which increases the calorie content, making it difficult to squeeze enough protein into our daily calorie needs. Protein shakes are good, but I don't think you need meal replacements - eat some whole foods instead. Make that pasta and rice you're eating wholewheat and brown, and the yoghurt low or no fat, preferably no sugar either and sweeten it with fruit or perhaps a scoop of protein powder. Come up with a diet plan of the kind of meals you'd eat every day and then we can tell you where it needs some work. Also supplement with some Flaxseed oil for EFAs.

TheGimp
11-06-2003, 04:28 PM
Also you can check out my journal here, although there's not a lot of info there I discuss some details of my vegetarian diet and my routine:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38904

Spartacus
11-06-2003, 05:45 PM
i take it you eat dairy, do you eat eggs and fish? eggs would be a great cheap source of protein. also if you don't eat fish you need to make sure you get enough omega-3 fat. beans and peanuts/nuts/seeds are good protein sources for vegetarians as well.

P I M P
11-07-2003, 08:17 AM
I don't eat fish or eggs! Thanks Gimp!

It might sound a bit cheeky but could someone please come up with an eating routine for me remembering that i'm a vegetarian?

It's just that I need a lot of :help:

Spartacus
11-07-2003, 08:27 AM
it depends a lot on if you cook for yourself, how much acutal food preparation you're willing to do, and what your tastes run like.

Scott S
11-07-2003, 09:19 AM
http://ksteveh.tripod.com/veggiebodybuilder.html

TheGimp
11-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Not eating eggs is going to make things even harder for you.

It would be difficult to come up with a diet plan for you for the reasons Spartacus said but some meal ideas would be things like:

baked beans on toast (as far as bread goes I eat Burgen which is made with soy flour and flaxseeds, it has quite a unique taste but is higher in protein. Per slice 100 cals 6.3g protein)

tofu with lentils/beans/rice etc.

wholewheat pasta and textured vegetable protein mince

wholewheat pitta bread dipped in humus

Are you familiar with counting calories? It will probably be necessary when devising your diet. We can point you in the right direction but you will have to do some of the work yourself :)

hemants
11-07-2003, 12:31 PM
Bill Pearl (vegetarian) and Mike Mentzer both consumed diets that were 60% carbs, 20% protein and 20% fat.

Without looking carefully at your journal, it sounds like your diet is working for you.

If your weight has been steady then try to add 100-200 calories per day. This should get you on a slow and steady weight gain (1 lb per week at most). If after 3 weeks you don't see a difference, add another 100-200 calories per day.

At your age your metabolism is probably raging so your biggest challenge will be getting the calories. Cut back on cardio and eat more nuts, peanut butter, and toss in an extra whey shake at the end of the day with a teaspoon of flax oil.

P I M P
11-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Thanks lads! I have read through all your posts and they have been very helpful! Cheers Scott S for that link, the website has been the most important thing that I have read since coming on the internet to find out what to eat! This will help me in a big way! I think that I have got enough information to eat the right foods! Thank You!

hemants
11-10-2003, 05:57 AM
Try also

www.vegsource.com under atheletes.