PDA

View Full Version : ideas on best midnight snack..

fatsoPanda
11-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Looking for good ideas for a midnight snack. I've been told a little carbs and a little protein so your muscles will have nutrients to carry it through the night. Any thought??

Jasonl
11-06-2003, 10:29 PM
some cottage cheese, maybe low sugar yogurt, possible one of those with a slice of ww bread on the side.

MrWebb78
11-06-2003, 10:34 PM
honey smakcs or frosted mini wheats.

defcon
11-07-2003, 04:44 AM
cottage cheese and a fat source IMO.. eat it right before you goto bed.. in bed if possible ;) then as soon as you get up hsave carbs ( oatmeal ) + protein ( whey or eggs )

fatsoPanda
11-07-2003, 08:35 AM
good idea's guys...I usually have a bowl of oats and a protein shake...

geoffgarcia
11-07-2003, 08:56 AM
Right before I turn in I put down 1-2 tbsp of oil, 1 cup oats with 2 tbsp of honey and a protein shake, but thats just me...

Relentless
11-07-2003, 09:02 AM
cottage cheese is teh ish!

gopher
11-07-2003, 11:32 AM
2 Tbls PB + 3 scoops Ultra Size or MetRx Protein Plus. Use just enough water to make pudding.

fatsoPanda
11-07-2003, 07:14 PM
i've heard the theory that we should have some good fats when we go to bed. ex. nattypb

any other ideas?

SoulOfKoRea
11-07-2003, 07:24 PM
ritz crackers + natty peanut butter = heaven, and you'll fall back asleep!

Newby81
11-07-2003, 09:58 PM
depends how serious you are and what your goals are,,, i never touch carbs past 7( unless workout is late , in this case ill alter my early am-pm carbs to suit this),, only veggies and c/c
but i really wouldnt touch oats, whole wheat bread or crackers before bed
a good meal would be :
chicken breast with 2 sticks of celery
or
eggs ( 2 wholes 5 whites) + 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
or
1 cup low fat cottage cheese , and a tablespoon of natural pb+ some chopped up strawberries
or
1 can of tuna + tbs flax + 2 celery stix

defcon
11-08-2003, 05:31 AM
the whole carb after 7 thing is not true.. it essintially comes down to calories. But as a last meal i agree to have cottage cheese and a fat source.

fatsoPanda
11-08-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by defcon
the whole carb after 7 thing is not true.. it essintially comes down to calories. But as a last meal i agree to have cottage cheese and a fat source.

yes, my beliefs also..

wrestlemaniac
11-09-2003, 01:08 AM
if you eat before bed doesn't your body have a hard time digesting it in your sleep and pretty much just turn it into fat (thats what I always thought).

defcon
11-09-2003, 04:44 AM
Your thoughts are completely wrong my friend :)

EDIT: Of course if you eat 5000 cals in a meal before you goto bed you will store some of it as fat.. but a normal meal should not be of any concern :)

fatsoPanda
11-09-2003, 10:05 AM
yes it's always going to be the overall calorie count that's going matter.

Newby81
11-09-2003, 12:05 PM
"my freind"----- through trial and error and studies( i would post them but i dont feel like doing a search because its not worth it) , i and many others have learned that eating carbs after 7 is the most effecient way in cutting,, no need to argue about that,..
like i said it depends on how serious you are , obviously you are not as serious as i ,, but i must say maintaing a cut is alot harder then youll ever believe when you get there you will see,, certain tweeks need to be made" these are things you just wont understand or clearly see at your current body weight

Midian
11-09-2003, 12:10 PM
nothing, if you have something before you go to sleep insulin will be released and that will slow down growth hormones, wich is so needed in this hobby of owers

Newby81
11-09-2003, 12:11 PM
wow i just read this over and it sounded kinda harsh when i really had no intent on doing that,, so basically no offence to ne1 out there

fatsoPanda
11-09-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Newby81
"my freind"----- through trial and error and studies( i would post them but i dont feel like doing a search because its not worth it) , i and many others have learned that eating carbs after 7 is the most effecient way in cutting,, no need to argue about that,..
like i said it depends on how serious you are , obviously you are not as serious as i ,, but i must say maintaing a cut is alot harder then youll ever believe when you get there you will see,, certain tweeks need to be made" these are things you just wont understand or clearly see at your current body weight

none taken, i've been through several cutts before and eating after 7 never affected me. Just please don't assume that someone is not serious when you know little or nothing about him. I started this thread to bring up opinions and that I have. thanks for the input.

bradley
11-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Midian
nothing, if you have something before you go to sleep insulin will be released and that will slow down growth hormones, wich is so needed in this hobby of owers

Actually studies have shown this not to be the case. This was addressed in a recent article that I read, and it stated just the opposite of what you stated above. The abstract below was cited in reference to the statement in the article.

Parker DC, & Rossman LG. Human growth hormone release in sleep: nonsuppression by acute hyperglycemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1971 Jan;32(1):65-9.

bradley
11-09-2003, 04:56 PM
"my freind"----- through trial and error and studies( i would post them but i dont feel like doing a search because its not worth it) , i and many others have learned that eating carbs after 7 is the most effecient way in cutting,, no need to argue about that

I would be interested to see these studies that you mentioned, since I have never seen anything that would indicate that eating carbs late in the evening will cause fat gain.

If you are following a hypocaloric diet, how will the body store energy when it is having to pull energy from bodily stores?

I think when making statements like the one above you should post some sort of published reference to back up the statement. Thanks in advance for posting the studies that you mentioned.:)

smalls
11-10-2003, 05:26 PM

LOfookingL.

Please post studies. I agree that the post above yours was a bit condesending and that is probably why you came back so harsh. But overall calories are always going to be the most important factor, "no need to argue about that" There is no "most effective way in cutting" Having a time limit of when food is eaten is for my mom (she wont listen to me either)

Shroud
11-10-2003, 09:39 PM
beer and pizza! err nm.
:bash:

fatsoPanda
11-12-2003, 10:37 AM
mmm.mmm...pizza:drooling: