PDA

View Full Version : Bulking Without Getting Too Fat

thetopdog
11-06-2003, 09:42 PM
I bulked from 170-205 from Feb. to September. I just started working out in Feb, and my bulking basically consisted of eating anything. I tried to get in 2 servings of NLarge a day (1200 extra cals and 104g's of protein), and ate anything from Chicken breast and tuna to pizza and McDonalds. During this bulk, I got a little fatter (I still haven't found a reliable way to measure bodyfat so I have no idea of a %) but I still looked lean. Most pepole thought I was still lean, just a lot bigger but I could tell I got fatter.

I decided to cut in September and I'm currently at 190. I didn't count cals (it's really hard to do in college on a buffet style dining plan, I have no idea what's going in the food I'm eating and exactly how much of it I'm eating, but I guessed) I still made sure I got the 1g/protein per lb of bodyweight, but I cut out most of the junk I was eating and switched the weight gainer to just pure whey (excpet post W.O.) I lost weight a little faster than I would have liked, but I'm pretty happy overall. My strength is basically the same and I can definitely tell I've lost some fat.

I think it's time to bulk again though, so I'm planning on starting bulking next week, but I want to do it without getting so fat this time. What steps can I take to make sure I get enough cals in, without getting too fat. Should I cut out the high GI carbs (except post W.O)? If it's just a matter of cals in and cals out, as long as I'm getting the right amount of protein and EFAs, does it really matter what I eat? Would there be a big difference if my cals, grams of protein and EFAs stayed the same and my carbs came from junk, or if they came from something like oats?

What do you guys think my problem was last time?
1)I ate too much junk
2)My cals were too high
3)There was no problem, the fat gain is a required part of bulking

I guess it's hard to tell if you don't have pics, I'm guessing I went from 170 @ 10% to 205 @ 16%

Jasonl
11-06-2003, 10:26 PM
if you got too fat i would say its a combo of 1 and 2. i would cut out high GI carbs except PWO, also, count cals, that's the most reliable way to see what's really going on and what you need to do to achieve your goals without excessive muscle loss.

thetopdog
11-06-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Jasonl
if you got too fat i would say its a combo of 1 and 2. i would cut out high GI carbs except PWO, also, count cals, that's the most reliable way to see what's really going on and what you need to do to achieve your goals without excessive muscle loss.

Thanks for the advice. Is there anything else I could do besides eating less high GI carbs that would make a large difference (besides eating less cals of course)?

thetopdog
11-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Another thing about eating the junk. When I cut the junk out (I still ate a lot), I lost 15 lbs in about 7 weeks, which is way too much. Obviously I have a fast metabolism and I need a lot of cals, it would be REALLY hard for me to get in the amount of cals necessary to bulk without some junk involved.

Keep in mind when I say 'junk' I'm not talking about chips and candy (although I guess the malto in the weight gainer is like eating pure sugar), I mean stuff more like macaroni and cheese, pizza, chinese food, cheeseburgers and stuff like that. High proten and high cal, not totally empty calories

defcon
11-07-2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Jasonl

The famous sign.. :withstupi

Just eat enough to gain 0.5lbs per week and you should gain minimal fat. if your eating clean :)

thetopdog
11-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by defcon

The famous sign.. :withstupi

Just eat enough to gain 0.5lbs per week and you should gain minimal fat. if your eating clean :)

But what exactly is it about not eating clean (besides excess cals) that would cause me to gain fat?

defcon
11-07-2003, 12:35 PM
too much sat fat. trans fat. hydronated oils, sugar. ect ect.

hemants
11-07-2003, 01:21 PM
"too much sat fat. trans fat. hydronated oils, sugar. ect ect."

Sugar I can see but the type of fat doesn't necessarily translate into more fat storage does it?

defcon
11-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Well it dosent help it :)