PDA

View Full Version : Egg whites?

zues564
11-07-2003, 12:02 AM
I was just wondering if anyone here had some good, easy-and-quick recipies for egg whites. I'm fairly new to whieght training (I just started wrestling season, so I've started working out at home, running laps, etc.) and everyone on this website says that egg whites are great for protien. So, someone out there help me out, I just need somethign to do with the egg whites in terms of cooking them.
Thanks

defcon
11-07-2003, 05:46 AM
crack the eggs and seperate the yolks from whites.. through the yolks away.

get some cooking spray ( PAM works best ) LOAD the pan up with PAM. turn it on medium heat. let the pam cook for a lil while.. till it gets to be in little bubbles. pour the egg whites into the pan.. wait for like 5-6 mins, depending on how many whites you have.. then flip it..

If you get sick of eating plain egg whites then you can add say. chopped onion, green/red pepper, garlic, a number of things.

Azrael
11-12-2003, 08:31 AM
Yuo can also buy egg whits in a carton at your local supermarket. I mix 4 egg whites with 1 egg and make an omlete.

carl
12-09-2003, 04:23 PM
just stuff the egg whites down by themselves, they really dont have a taste. To add some flavor if you have to put salt on them. Or seasoned salt. But i generally just eat egg whites as an additive, like 5 egg whites with my meal at lunch. Which is a chicken breast, cottage cheese, 5 egg whites, and 2-peanut butter sandwiches.

Pup
12-10-2003, 03:09 PM
scrambled egg whites and 2 tbsp natty pb go good together

smallmovesal
12-14-2003, 03:52 PM
scrambled egg whites and 2 tbsp natty pb go good together

no thanks :redface:

JeffWillConquer
12-14-2003, 07:29 PM
Egg and pb? whoever was the first to try this had some real cajones.

JTyrell710
12-14-2003, 07:52 PM
i personally salt my eggwhites
cmon theyre not that bad
but they arent great, i wish i could buy like condensed egg white, one mouthful and your good to go.
(they take too long to boil and peal.. or shell or shuck or whatever the verb is for removing the shell)

Dano4025
12-16-2003, 04:39 PM
8 Egg Whites, 3/4-1 cup Oats, 1 scoop of Whey-blend together and pour into a microwavable dish. Microwave for 2-3 minutes and enjoy. Makes sort of a porridge and tastes pretty good. You can also add Peanut Butter or a Bannana or something which makes it taste really good.

manowar669
12-16-2003, 05:26 PM
I do the PB with my egg whites, only I make a 7 eggwhite omelette in the pan, spread 1tbsp natty PB on 2 pieces quality WW toast, and make a sandwich. Yummy. I also do the same thing with salmon or mackerel on a sandwich with PB. It's all good. :burger:

Pup
12-16-2003, 06:27 PM
I really like that idea manowar...i'll be using that in the near future...thnx :)

Shao-LiN
12-20-2003, 05:15 AM
i personally salt my eggwhites
cmon theyre not that bad
but they arent great, i wish i could buy like condensed egg white, one mouthful and your good to go.
(they take too long to boil and peal.. or shell or shuck or whatever the verb is for removing the shell)

Can buy egg whites in a carton at the local grocery store. I find 'em next to the egg beaters. Same company too I believe.

bigfella13
12-20-2003, 01:14 PM
i usually just add 3-4 egg whites in with my protein shake, that and 2 bananas blitzed up keeps me goin after an intense session

beachmuscles
01-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Can buy egg whites in a carton at the local grocery store. I find 'em next to the egg beaters. Same company too I believe.

I thought Egg Beaters was Egg Whites?

Azazel
01-31-2004, 12:01 AM
If you are trying to gain weight it is my own opinion that throwing the egg yolk out is a waste of an egg. Consider this if you will:

1 egg: About 75 calories (which is pretty low in the first place)
5g Fat
1g carbs
6g protein

1 egg yolk: About 60 calories
5g fat
0g carbs
3g protein

1 egg white: Around 15 Calories
0g fat
0g carbs
3g protein

A whole egg contains four times as many calories as an egg white. You also throw out half the protein contained in the egg if you toss the yolk. Finally, not even half the fat content of an egg is Saturated Fat so don't even worry about it. Toss four or five raw eggs into a blender with some milk and a banana and you'll be sailing!

cwm
02-04-2004, 06:29 PM
I usually just scrable 5 eggs and take out 2 of yokes to balance it out. to me it tastes the same as regular scrabled eggs. Yolks are good if your bulking :p

MisterEThoughts
03-03-2004, 12:26 AM
what is pb?

GrumpyTX
03-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Peanut butter? That is my guess.

GrumpyTX
03-05-2004, 03:14 PM
what is natty?

the rev
03-05-2004, 04:27 PM
I agree with you azazel taking out the yolk is a waste of a good egg, but im not the most cut fool out there either. :hump:

Alaric
03-06-2004, 04:33 PM
natty is natural. Natural peanut butter. i believe its sugar free or something like that...

Exnor
03-07-2004, 09:04 AM
Egg Yolks contain a lot of cholesterol, which is why many people advise eating no more than 3-4 a week. They also contain lots of vitamins, and added nutrients. I have a meal with 5 egg whites and 1 or 2 yolks, 4 times a week.

Daz
03-09-2004, 04:27 PM
I don't think drinking raw eggs give you the same benefit as cooking them first.

adrenalinaddict
05-31-2004, 05:05 PM
Actually Daz, its the complete opposite. Heating the egg degrades the protein, so eating it raw gives you more benefit then cooking it. I eat about 10-15 raw egg whites a day mixed in with protein shakes. I have a shake with a scoop of chocalate whey, 5 egg whites, 2/3 cup of oatmeal, and 2 tbsp natty PB. It has over 500 calories, nice quick and easy.

I also eat an omellette, with like 3 egg whites, and 1 or 2 whole eggs. I usually mix some Avocado in there too.

dissipate
06-18-2004, 04:35 AM
most of the time i boil my eggs and then crack them, peel off the white and eat them. with raw eggs, there is a risk of acquiring salmonella??

TheGimp
06-18-2004, 06:53 AM
Actually Daz, its the complete opposite. Heating the egg degrades the protein, so eating it raw gives you more benefit then cooking it. I eat about 10-15 raw egg whites a day mixed in with protein shakes. I have a shake with a scoop of chocalate whey, 5 egg whites, 2/3 cup of oatmeal, and 2 tbsp natty PB. It has over 500 calories, nice quick and easy.

About half the protein in an egg needs to be unlocked by heating it. Heating it too much will degrade the protein.

TBone4Eva
06-18-2004, 07:49 AM
I'm a little mixed up on the ideas of cooking or not cooking an egg for better protein availability. From what I learned in my nutrition class, your stomach denatures the protein itself with it's gastric juices. Basically uncoiling the protein so that the enzymes can break it down into the individual amino acid chains. So, if your body already does this for you then why do you need to denature the egg by cooking it? Maybe speeding up the process perhaps?

TheGimp
06-18-2004, 08:06 AM
Good question. :confused:

Here's a couple of studies about needing to cook eggs to aid the protein digestibility:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9772141

The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 +/- 0.8 and 51.3 +/- 9.8%, respectively.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10564098

The other downside of eating raw eggs is biotin deficiency as the avidin in the raw egg binds to it.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10846444

Biotin deficiency in humans is extremely rare and is generally associated with prolonged parenteral nutrition, the consumption of large quantities of avidin, usually in the form of raw eggs, severe malnutrition and, inherited metabolic disorders.

And of course salmonella. The risk is very low, but why take the risk for worse protein availability? The only reason I can think of is convenience. In that case just get yourself some egg protein powder.

Kal-El
06-30-2004, 11:39 AM
What I like to do is boil them, then pop out the cooked yolk and toss 'em. You can then cut the egg white into quarters and eat them on the go. Toss a bit of cayenne pepper on them for taste. I go through 6 egg whites like this a day, and I get through them quickly, between protien shakes before lunch and dinner

Kal-El
06-30-2004, 11:47 AM
OR you can take them and mash the egg whites into a salad too :)