PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a bench shirt?

JNowiski
11-08-2003, 03:38 PM
Do you think I should get a bench shirt? If I use a bench shirt during a bench workout, will that make my raw bench stronger?

I know these are dumb questions, but I had to ask.

Chris Rodgers
11-08-2003, 05:39 PM
If I did not compete in powerlifting I would not get one. Maybe a very basic one, loose if it would help with bad pecs/shoulders. Otherwise I would just try different things to increase the raw bench. Speed work, low board presses, various height lockouts, bands, shoulder work, lats, extra tricep work, anything that was weak I'd strengthen.

My raw strength on the bench and squat hasn't changed much over the past year or so, but my equipped squat and bench has gone up a lot. This is because I am training in the gear often and using it better and better each time as well as strengthening the areas where the gear doesn't help me(lockout).

JNowiski
11-08-2003, 06:19 PM
Whether I ever compete depends how I progress. I might in a year or two, don't really know.

Big J
11-09-2003, 09:13 PM
I wouldnt recommend you get a bench shirt unless you compete on a regular basis. They are very uncomfortable & impossible to get on by yourself. If you wanna help your raw bench try workin with bands. Might wanna stay away from the bench shirts. I can promise you that you wont like them!

JNowiski
11-10-2003, 06:39 AM
where can I get some bands?

Paul Stagg
11-10-2003, 08:29 AM
www.elitefts.com