PDA

View Full Version : Worried about calory intake .... Advice needed!

MorganB
11-09-2003, 07:24 PM
I was told maintainance for me is approx 2233, and 2733 would allow me to gain 1lb a week. Now this sounded a lot until I started listing what I ate. Im on a week off now so figured I needed less, but yesterday I had 4000kc+ with 225g protein. So today Ive been real picky, and still finished at 2950kc with 195g protein. And I only just managed to keep hunger at bay.

I have been gaining muscle for the last few months, but lost some definition along the way, which I now have numerical proof to understand why. So how do you do it? I eat healthy, lots of chicken, fish, some red meat, lots of protein shakes etc. I eat very few 'sweets' (although this weekend both days I had approx 75g of chocolate - and yesterday 3 beers whilst out dancing). I even hold my breath passing by MacDonalds so as not to absorb the crap through my lungs :)

So without going looney how do you guys do it? Without living off powder protein how do you get 220-250g protein and keep at 2233kc ???

These are the steps Ive decided upon:

1) Write down what I eat daily, what I weigh (on days I train), etc so I have a record.

2) Stop eating pizza once a week.

3) Only drink one beer per hour of dancing.

4) Half my chocolate intake and limit it to weekends as a treat.

5) Try to keep at 2700-3000kc whilst training, but try to hold at 2500 on my rest week.

5b) UNLESS my rest week involves 3 hours a day snowboardin (as it might) in which case Ill add another 4-500kc just because of the cardio.

6) Find some place in this country where I can buy whatever it is you guys use for bf calculations so I can detect the loss of definition scientifically, rather than the "Do I look fat to you?" method. (This one might pose a problem as im not sure it would occur to people in Norway to want to know bf% *grin*).

7) Kick myself in the ass when I forget any of the above steps 1-6

8) Try not to panic when imagining what its going to be like when I try my first cutting diet! *shiver*

9) Talk to you guys for moral support and help with steps 7 and 8!

Have I missed anything obvious? Or even better is there a magic formula anyone has so I can avoid all this pain and worry? :)

ps. One experiement in diet allows me this one insight: Dont try to replace all of you meals with shakes on a hectic day where even eating a can of tuna takes up too much time. Or if you do, buy lots of fruti fibre tablets to take with them. Liquid diets have an interesting side effect that I do NOT suggest you explore. Especially not the day before you go for those squats!

defcon
11-09-2003, 07:37 PM
It seems like your on the right track now, as long as you gain appox 0.5lbs a week then most of it should be musle, and eat clean, lift hard.

defcon
11-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Oh yeah, tuna and egg whites = protein without fat/carbs.. Learn to love them :)

MorganB
11-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Cannot eat egg.

And although I love tuna i was told more than 5 cans a week was bad cos of mercury in the sea .. or some such thing.

Until I was told that I was eating 2 to 3 tins a day :)

geoffgarcia
11-12-2003, 09:57 AM
MorganB, the mercury is not just in tuna, its from bio accumulation and affects all large predatory animals. Sharks, tuna, swordfish, etc.

Try tracking your diet with a program like dietOrganizer.com it makes it a whole helluva lot easier.
Also, it helps if you eat the same or similar things every day as #1 it makes it easier to remember and #2 you dont have to calculate out all the stuff thats in it:)
G