PDA

View Full Version : Why do we act like oatmeal is the only suitable carb out there?

hemants
11-10-2003, 05:56 AM
I've always wondered this. Don't get me wrong, I love my oatmeal but it isn't exactly the lowest glycemic carb, not even close.

Anyone? Is there some hidden magical benefit that only Yoda knows about?

:help:

defcon
11-10-2003, 06:01 AM
for cutting its good for sustained energy, slow digestion, lots of soluable fiber, plus its dam ntasty :)

For bulking, its quick, easy to eat and good for you.

Other good carbs are WW products, and long grain balsamic rice.

TheGimp
11-10-2003, 06:54 AM
tasty or nasty defcon? :D

Shao-LiN
11-10-2003, 07:05 AM
Oatmeal is good...I eat oatmeal for breakfast, but tend to use whole wheat products or brown rice throughout the rest of the day. There are lots of good carb sources out there.

gopher
11-10-2003, 08:04 AM
Oatmeal is not the only acceptable complex carb source.
There's yams and brown rice too!

Teufelhund
11-10-2003, 08:22 AM
mmmmm. yams.

IronDaddy
11-10-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by TheGimp
tasty or nasty defcon? :D
I think that was damn tasty...;)

Holto
11-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by hemants
Is there some hidden magical benefit that only Yoda knows about?

Beta Glucan it is :D

Spartacus
11-10-2003, 10:48 AM
oats are by far the easiest for those of us in dorms without kitchen access.

defcon
11-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Spartacus
oats are by far the easiest for those of us in dorms without kitchen access. .

HUGE BUMP! i got no way of cooking anything, so its dry oats for me :) with hot sauce.. and i said it is TASTY, very TASTY.. mix in a can of tuna with it too, all in a tubberware container :) No joke..

theomen
11-10-2003, 01:16 PM
the soluable fiber slows down digetion and makes you feel fuller longer, is probably the reason it's so popular.

Holto
11-10-2003, 01:27 PM
had a look

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Beta glucan is unknown to a majority of the general public. Many health researchers consider it to be one of the most effective immune enhancing substances ever discovered

It modulates and potentiates the macrophage (white blood cells), keeping them in a highly prepared state for any threat our immune system may encounter. With this balancing effect, all subsequent immune responses improve. When your immune system is in this highly prepared state, the invading organisms do not have the time to build up force and strength before the immune system attacks, destroys and/or weakens the invader.

Beta glucan has over 1,600 general research papers ranging across 40 years. A majority of this health related research has been completed at some of the most prestigious institutions in the world, including Harvard Medical School, Tulane University, National Cancer Institute, Department of Defense and the Department of Agriculture, just to name a few. These studies have been performed on literally every health condition / disease known to humanity, and time and time again it has proven itself to be second to none. It has also been shown to provide beneficial effects in the sports / athletic health fitness field.

www.beta-glucan-info.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicholas DiLuzio of Tulane University, "The broad spectrum of immunopharmacological activities of glucan includes not only the modification of certain bacterial, fungal, viral, and parasitic infections, but also inhibition of tumor growth."

Beta 1,3-D glucan works by activating the immune cells known as macrophages. These macrophages trap and consume foreign substances in the body. Dr. Joyce K. Czop, M.D. at the Department of Rheumatology and Immunology at Harvard Medical School states, "A cascade of interactions and reactions initiated by the macrophage regulatory factors can be envisioned to occur and to eventuate in conversion of the glucan treated host to an arsenal of defense."

Another function of glucan, very important to my clinic, is its ability to act as a strong antioxidant or free radical scavenger. I have a very large clientele of mercury toxic patients and work closely with amalgam-free dentists. Mercury and other heavy metals are free radical producers, initiating a cascade of tissue destruction and impaired function.

Beta 1,3-D glucan can also regenerate and repair tissue, thus, speeding up the recovery of damaged tissue as well.

Glucan aids in the lowering of LDL (bad) cholesterol and enhances cholesterol lowering regimes.

Scott S
11-10-2003, 02:09 PM
I like oatmeal too. Even when plain, there's a good flavor that you don't notice when you load on the brown suagr and raisins.

Max-Mex
11-10-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by defcon
for cutting its good for sustained energy, slow digestion, lots of soluable fiber, plus its dam ntasty :)

For bulking, its quick, easy to eat and good for you.

Depends on the oatmeal. I wouldn't call the instant kind the best. Steel cut oatmeal is by far one of the best because of the whole oat. Too many oatmeals are so processed that they have lost most of their nutritional value.

Example, the brand of oatmeal I buy has 4-6 more grams of fibre per equal serving than any Quaker Product. I'd stay away from regular store brands. Go to a whole foods type market and try some steel cut. Same can be said for brown rice. Not all brown rice are equal. Also, wheat breads can be thrown in there. I make my own bread now because the stuff I make is far more nutritional than the stuff I can buy at the market.

flyskygirl
11-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by hemants
I've always wondered this. Don't get me wrong, I love my oatmeal but it isn't exactly the lowest glycemic carb, not even close.

Anyone? Is there some hidden magical benefit that only Yoda knows about?

:help: :) :)

HI Hemants,
actually Oatmeal is pretty low carb.If you use OLD FASHIONED oats vs quick oats or instant. All foods with a GI of 0-55 is considered low gi.

Old fashioned has a GI of 49 vs quick and instant is 65,66!

Lots of carbs low GI ...VEGGIES:), peanuts are pretty low like 15...not sure the carb content.

WW spagetti 37 GI
ALL bran cereal 42 GI
LONG grain rice 47 GI

~Sky

Spartacus
11-10-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Max-Mex

Depends on the oatmeal. I wouldn't call the instant kind the best. Steel cut oatmeal is by far one of the best because of the whole oat. Too many oatmeals are so processed that they have lost most of their nutritional value.

Example, the brand of oatmeal I buy has 4-6 more grams of fibre per equal serving than any Quaker Product. I'd stay away from regular store brands. Go to a whole foods type market and try some steel cut. Same can be said for brown rice. Not all brown rice are equal. Also, wheat breads can be thrown in there. I make my own bread now because the stuff I make is far more nutritional than the stuff I can buy at the market.

you mean, rolling? some of the "instant" oats have sugar added to them, but i think most of us are eating the big cylindar oats, which aren't any less nutritious than the steel cut oats. its just a different way of processing

bradley
11-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Holto
Glucan aids in the lowering of LDL (bad) cholesterol and enhances cholesterol lowering regimes.

Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Oct;78(4):711-8.

Randomized controlled crossover study of the effect of a highly beta-glucan-enriched barley on cardiovascular disease risk factors in mildly hypercholesterolemic men.

Keogh GF, Cooper GJ, Mulvey TB, McArdle BH, Coles GD, Monro JA, Poppitt SD.

Department of Medicine, the Human Nutrition & Metabolic Unit, University of Auckland, New Zealand.

BACKGROUND: Soluble-fiber beta-glucan derived from oats can reduce cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk through reductions in total and LDL cholesterol. Barley-derived beta-glucan may also improve serum cholesterol, but large quantities are required for clinical significance. OBJECTIVE: This trial investigated whether a beta-glucan-enriched form of barley can favorably modify cholesterol and other markers of CVD and diabetes risk. DESIGN: Eighteen mildly hyperlipidemic ( +/- SD: 4.0 +/- 0.6 mmol LDL cholesterol/L) men with a mean (+/- SD) body mass index (in kg/m(2)) of 27.4 +/- 4.6 were randomly assigned in this single-blind, 2 x 4-wk trial to either the treatment arm [8.1-11.9 g beta-glucan/d (scaled to body weight)] or the control arm (isoenergetic dose of 6.5-9.2 g glucose/d). After a washout period of 4 wk, dietary regimens were crossed over. The trial took place in a long-stay metabolic facility, and all foods were provided (38% of energy from fat). Fasted blood samples were collected on days 0, 1, 7, 14, 21, 28, and 29 in both study arms. An oral-glucose-tolerance test was carried out on days 0 and 29. RESULTS: There was no significant change (Delta) in total (Delta = -0.08 mmol/L, -1.3%), LDL (Delta = -0.15 mmol/L, -3.8%), or HDL (Delta = 0 mmol/L) cholesterol or in triacylglycerol (Delta = 0.18 mmol/L), fasting glucose (Delta = -0.05 mmol/L), or postprandial glucose when analyzed between treatments (P > 0.05; ANOVA). CONCLUSION: The effect of beta-glucan-enriched barley on lipid profile was highly variable between subjects, and there was no evidence of a clinically significant improvement in CVD risk across this group of mildly hyperlipidemic men.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 14522728
============
Am J Clin Nutr. 2000 Jul;72(1):49-55.

Modest doses of beta-glucan do not reduce concentrations of potentially atherogenic lipoproteins.

Lovegrove JA, Clohessy A, Milon H, Williams CM.

Hugh Sinclair Unit of Human Nutrition, The University of Reading, Reading, United Kingdom, and Nestle, Vivey, Switzerland. j.a.lovegrove@afnovell.reading.ac.uk

BACKGROUND: In 1997, the US Food and Drug Administration passed a unique ruling that allowed oat bran to be registered as the first cholesterol-reducing food at a dosage of 3 g beta-glucan/d. OBJECTIVE: The effects of a low dose of oat bran in the background diet only were investigated in volunteers with mild-to-moderate hyperlipidemia. DESIGN: The study was a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized, parallel study. Sixty-two healthy men (n = 31) and women (n = 31) were randomly allocated to consume either 20 g oat bran concentrate (OBC; containing 3 g beta-glucan) or 20 g wheat bran (control) daily for 8 wk. Fasting blood samples were collected at weeks -1, 0, 4, 8, and 12. A subgroup (n = 17) was studied postprandially after consumption of 2 meals (containing no OBC or wheat bran) at baseline and after supplementation. Fasting plasma samples were analyzed for total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, triacylglycerol, glucose, and insulin. LDL cholesterol was measured by using the Friedewald formula. The postprandial samples were anlayzed for triacylglycerol, glucose, and insulin. RESULTS: No significant difference was observed in fasting plasma cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, glucose, or insulin between the OBC and wheat-bran groups. HDL-cholesterol concentrations fell significantly from weeks 0 to 8 in the OBC group (P = 0.05). There was a significant increase in fasting glucose concentrations after both OBC (P = 0.03) and wheat-bran (P = 0.02) consumption. No significant difference was found between the OBC and wheat-bran groups in any of the postprandial variables measured. CONCLUSIONS: A low dosage of beta-glucan (3 g/d) did not significantly reduce total cholesterol or LDL cholesterol in volunteers with plasma cholesterol concentrations representative of a middle-aged UK population.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 10871560

TheGimp
11-10-2003, 04:54 PM
I think I need to go buy some oatmeal ;)

defcon
11-10-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by TheGimp
I think I need to go buy some oatmeal ;)

:nod: and a bottle of hot sauce :)

Max-Mex
11-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Spartacus

you mean, rolling? some of the "instant" oats have sugar added to them, but i think most of us are eating the big cylindar oats, which aren't any less nutritious than the steel cut oats. its just a different way of processing

The oats I use are kinda roundish, almost like pellets. A bit crunchier even when cooked longer. Took some getting used to but still taste good. Feel much fuller than using instant or even non instant Quaker brand.

TheGimp
11-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by defcon

:nod: and a bottle of hot sauce :)

One step at a time :D

defcon
11-11-2003, 05:47 AM
haha :P Its all good, i wiswh i hated oatmeal to tell you the truth :P dam stuff kills me sumtimes ya know :P